XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Going to look at a 2010 XKR on Saturday

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 09:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Going to look at a 2010 XKR on Saturday

Hello all, new poster here. I'm going to look at the below 2010 XKR this Saturday - any thoughts? The CarFax shows front end damage, so I'll definitely have them put it up on a lift so I can look at the frame. Is there anything else specific I should be looking for?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3167/overview/

Old 03-20-2019, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

Fellow 2010 XKR 'vert owner here.
Others can offer a better rundown of specifics, I'd only observe a few things:
- as far as the damage, it was reported 100,000 miles ago. If it was going to have a detrimental effect on the car I assume that would have shown up by now. Also, since you'll likely be the last owner of the car, you don't have to worry about getting dinged on resale-- unlike the current seller.
- speaking of both the damage and the mileage: given those two factors, I think the price is high for this car. I personally don't have a problem with buying high-mileage cars, but they need to carry high-mileage prices , and this one doesn't. It needs an "over 100K, has an accident reported, one-more-owner price." Which I think is several thousand lower.

Last edited by pk4144; 03-20-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

I concur with pk, 121k miles is an awful lot for that money, especially because of damage, detrimental or not.
I did notice a few things while looking at the pictures, but maybe it is the photography.......

The back of the driver's seat back looks torn or missing. Try buying THAT piece from Jaguar, probably a grand at least just for the part.
The paint shown on the Right Rear corner under the "/R" emblem, while shiny, isn't FLAT. Orange peel paint. Was something repaired there also? Maybe again poor photography.
The front bumper cover seems to be pitted from those 121k miles and they show easily on black paint. It certainly could use either a respray or at least some correction in that area.
Both front door lower interior panels seem wavy for some reason, though it could be mottled carpet fibers or something. They just don't look right. Again, photography/lighting/angle?
Looks to be a smashed black bit on the driver seat bottom adjuster also.
BIG point here.... the Right-Rear window is down while the top is raised and the front window is up, and that isn't supposed to be possible. Either it has the JagWrangler Remote Top Controller (although it's difficult to do that on purpose even WITH that controller) or there may be a fairly large problem somewhere.
I just noticed, the driver rear window is ALSO down while the front is up. BEWARE!!!
ALSO, zero photos of the car with the top DOWN. Is there a problem that's being concealed??? Something to do with the window situation? Not cheap fixes, or maybe it IS with just a top reset. Don't know...
Another fairly decently sized item.... I see only one key although there may be another somewhere. A second key is MANDATORY and they are quite expensive to buy AND get programmed. The Emergency Key Blade inside each remote also isn't the cheapest and easiest thing to replace. I'm talking over $500 per Smart Key and getting a replacement Key Blade from Jaguar is ridiculously expensive for a ground hunk of aluminum.

Unless those Items I've notices from just the pictures are not actual problems, I personally think you could find a better vehicle for a similar price, or the same nick one for $5,000 less. Or THAT one for $6k+ off.

You'll know more once you've seen it.
Even if you don't like the car once you've seen it, it would be cool if you'd get back in here and let us know what happened.

ALSO, it would make your inspection of the car much more comprehensive if you downloaded the User Manual and read through pertinent bits of that and even take notes on what to ask/look for while at the car.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 03-20-2019 at 11:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I agree with the two responses above. Especially Cee Jay's. I would insist on PPI by a Jaguar dealer and a body inspection by a Jaguar approved body shop. Cost is about $500 and the seller should pay for it. The results will let you know what needs to be done mechanically and just how the body has been treated over the last 9 years.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Another 2010 XKR owner here, ask for a service history and check the oil level in the car. Since there is no dipstick, most owners just don't bother to check until they change their oil once a year. It's crucial that the 5.0L engines have the proper oil level or you can have major issues. I bought my car after the inspection revealed that the car needed a new engine due to lack of oil. After the owner's aftermarket policy paid my mechanic to put a new engine in it I then purchased it. I would also take it for a ride and make sure the suspension is taut and responsive. Go over a road bump and make sure there is no bottoming out or extraneous noises. My shocks, sway bar bushings and front end bushings were all replaced at about the same mileage as the car you're considering, and the wonderful ride that I had previously had deteriorated so that I had to do it. Otherwise, it's a lot of car for very little money if it meets all of your expectations.

Last edited by tberg; 03-21-2019 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:54 AM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

i would stay away from that car even at $10k price - in my experience if you are patient you find the right car at the right or even great price

Old 03-21-2019, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

In general terms, when buying well-used luxury car it pays to purchase the best example you can find. While you are paying used car prices for the car, both service and parts are still priced for what it originally sold.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Wow, if prices keep dropping I'll be shopping again next year.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Cost is about $500 and the seller should pay for it.
The seller shouldn't pay for the inspection. It's the buyer who needs to pay for the inspection. I would ask the seller to subtract the cost of the inspection if car is bought.

The following 2 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
Cee Jay (03-21-2019), pk4144 (03-22-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 12:40 PM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Thoughts from another owner: I bought both my cars with low mileage, and I'm glad I did. However they were within my budget. I appreciate that this car may be the limit of your budget.

If you have some financial flexibility, I recommend that you keep looking. I did a quick check on Autotrader and saw a few similar cars with only half the mileage; priced in the $25-27k range. You did not indicate how much mileage you expect to put on it annually. If you plan to drive it more that a few thousand miles per year, that is another reason to avoid this mileage.

If this car has needs, you can easily spend $5-6k in a year on repairs. Cee Jay's observations about the windows/top are spot on! Unless the system has been modified with an aftermarket controller, the windows should not do what is shown in those pictures. Also, I don't see that the water pump was replaced; and they usually fail much earlier. Costs about $1500+ installed. Then there are brake and suspension needs that come with hi mileage. Not inexpensive.

Just some random thoughts. Good luck in your search.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:20 PM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

If 10k is your budget & the car runs well I’d buy it in a heartbeat. What other car for that price will give you the luxury & speed?? At that price if you get 2 good years out of it (without putting much into it) you came out a winner. It looks like the car also has the remote top kit by White XKR, this is a nice added feature. Eiither that or the small windows are malfunctioning. Take a long test drive, at least 20-30 min. Get on the freeway, jump on it & see how it feels. When done driving pop the hood & smell for coolant & oil. If you smell either stay away from the car. At that age it won’t be just a pump, several hoses later & your at a 3k repair on a 10k car.
If it passes the driving test & sniff test buy the thing. I mean for $10 grand why not.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:35 PM
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

As far as I can tell the asking price is $20k , where you seeing $10K ?

Old 03-21-2019, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

I think his budget is $30k. $20k for the car and $10k in repairs.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

I just checked the Google Street View of the dealer.... wow, it's tiny. Any idea as to how long it's been there?

Old 03-21-2019, 09:29 PM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry, I thought I read in an earlier post that it was going for $10k. At $20k I’d stay far far away. I bought my 2010XKR a year ago with 60k miles, same color & also a convertible. I paid $24k.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:57 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I’ve been doing weekly checks onautotrader.com, and autotrmpest.com and the last one pulls data from cars.com, and I had not seen that one, or at least not at that price. So my guess is it is a pretty new listing.

But to echo what others have been saying if you stretch the budget up another 5 grand you can find plenty of very nice examples all over the country, but Texas has more then its fair share. I recently decided that I didn’t want to budget that high for a 5.0 XKR at the moment, so am almost for sure going to go with an x100 4.2 XKR instead. So there are other options out there.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:50 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John Nevets
I’ve been doing weekly checks onautotrader.com, and autotrmpest.com and the last one pulls data from cars.com, and I had not seen that one, or at least not at that price. So my guess is it is a pretty new listing.

But to echo what others have been saying if you stretch the budget up another 5 grand you can find plenty of very nice examples all over the country, but Texas has more then its fair share. I recently decided that I didn’t want to budget that high for a 5.0 XKR at the moment, so am almost for sure going to go with an x100 4.2 XKR instead. So there are other options out there.
That's actually what I decided on yesterday. There are a few 4.2s in Dallas I'm going to look at that don't have nearly as many warning indicators.

Thanks for the advice, all!

Old 03-22-2019, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Having owned a 4.0 X100 XKR for 9 years now, the platform itself is overall a good one, and by getting a 4.2 R model, you really avoid the pitfalls of earlier cars. You get a ZF 6HP26 transmission, you don't have the timing components to swap, you get the aluminum thermostat housing, you get nice horsepower, and really pretty styling. The biggest thing that goes on the later cars is one that affects all x100 convertibles and it's the convertible top latch hose.

You'll like the x100! Later if you add or replace with any variant of x150 XKR, you'll like that too.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

I agree that the X100s are really nice. I loved mine!
But....
There's always a but...
The X150 is a different monster altogether! There is such a drastic difference between the two cars that you'd not even think they are related to each other.

X100 is absolutely gorgeous..... but the handling is boaty. The interior is nice, but too small. I'm 6-1 and I had problems seeing traffic lights as the seating is too high and the windscreen too low. I constantly had to look out through the top-half of the windscreen.
Then there's the tech, X100 has zero! Even the Navigation in the X100s was dismal, and can not be updated beyond.... 2006 I think? X150s don't have the most exquisite touch screen by any means, but it is quite capable although a bit slow (mostly due to animations). But it does a good job!
All X100s are at least 14 actual years old now and can be up to 23 years. That's ancient for a vehicle.

I'D say, if you have a lower budget, get a 2008-2009 X150. You'll be a happier driver. OR, if you could swing it, a 5.0 non-R has almost the same hp as the 4.2 -R models and has the updated interior and front bumper area (which I think is much preferred).

Again, the X150 is vastly superior to the X100, except for the styling..... not many cars are as pretty as the X100.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 03-22-2019 at 10:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MarkyUK (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I agree that the X100s are really nice. I loved mine!
But....
There's always a but...
The X150 is a different monster altogether! There is such a drastic difference between the two cars that you'd not even think they are related to each other.

X100 is absolutely gorgeous..... but the handling is boaty. The interior is nice, but too small. I'm 6-1 and I had problems seeing traffic lights as the seating is too high and the windscreen too low. I constantly had to look out through the top-half of the windscreen.
Then there's the tech, X100 has zero! Even the Navigation in the X100s was dismal, and can not be updated beyond.... 2006 I think? X150s don't have the most exquisite touch screen by any means, but it is quite capable although a bit slow (mostly due to animations). But it does a good job!
All X100s are at least 14 actual years old now and can be up to 23 years. That's ancient for a vehicle.

I'D say, if you have a lower budget, get a 2008-2009 X150. You'll be a happier driver. OR, if you could swing it, a 5.0 non-R has almost the same hp as the 4.2 -R models and has the updated interior and front bumper area (which I think is much preferred).

Again, the X150 is vastly superior to the X100, except for the styling..... not many cars are as pretty as the X100.
I agree with everything you've said. I'm 5'10" and am the upper height limit for total comfort and I'm still near maxing the limits of the seat rails for legroom and headroom. I honestly fit the same in this as a Lotus Esprit. Thankfully my X100 is a 2000 and was ordered WITHOUT navigation, which has been nice, the placebo gauges and the clock are nice.

The handling in the X100 versus X150 is MASSIVE, the X150 both rides better AND will run circles around it. The reason I keep my X100 is I like both, but the X100 is much older than it's years in terms of driving experience. It's like a nice riding muscle car in R form. It has good acceleration, is comfortable if you fit, is luxurious but without tech, and meh on handling. I actually like the lack of tech. It feels somewhat like driving a slightly restomodded classic car.

For the X150, I actually like the front bumper on my X150 R, but I also like the later bumper. The X150 is objectively a MUCH more modern car, but fun can be had in an X100 if you buy right and turn wrenches; which you will have to do because of age and platform design choices.

Last edited by 80sRule; 03-22-2019 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Going to look at a 2010 XKR on Saturday