XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

'The Green Turtle' or 'Lets Fix This Junk'

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by LoudHogRider
This is by far and away my favorite site thread, but at this point I'm curious where you're at with your original conundrum. Is it:

A) The Green Turtle, or
B) Let's fix this junk?
Thanks, I think... I'm still leaning towards 'B'. I think the PO was one of those 'interesting' folks you see on the Jersey Shore show on MTV. All flash, not much substance and the car looks like it was mistreated by a spoiled brat who tossed it aside when a newer 'clean' shiny object came into view. IDK, I try not to judge but I'm sweating bullets getting it apart today instead of back together.

On a funny side note, both rear quarter windows have broken aluminum retaining castings. Really poorly designed little part. It's almost like they designed it to pop the glass out in an accident.

The following users liked this post:
LoudHogRider (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Steve,
While I've had a couple dozen cars, since I'm a designer (home interiors), I have used the faux suede to upholster many pieces of furniture, upholster the walls of rooms and studios, pillows,....

Old 07-21-2017, 02:04 PM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
Thanks, I think... I'm still leaning towards 'B'. I think the PO was one of those 'interesting' folks you see on the Jersey Shore show on MTV. All flash, not much substance and the car looks like it was mistreated by a spoiled brat who tossed it aside when a newer 'clean' shiny object came into view. IDK, I try not to judge but I'm sweating bullets getting it apart today instead of back together.

On a funny side note, both rear quarter windows have broken aluminum retaining castings. Really poorly designed little part. It's almost like they designed it to pop the glass out in an accident.
You've put in a ton of hours working on the vehicle and I was simply curious if you were starting to have a little "buyer's remorse". I've learned a ton about my car just following along with your exploits and craftsmanship. There aren't many guys around that can do what you do these days. "Hat tip" in your direction for that.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:13 PM
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts

That's funny. I just sat through a mandatory training on hearing protection. Only part that was relevant was the definition of 'Noise' which is an unwanted sound that serves no purpose.
I've had bosses that meet that definition.

I finally had time to read through this whole thread. Top notch work, man.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Lightbulb Hot progress...

OK, going back together from this morning. Notice the car's getting a little slack jawed. Seems the lower grill actually holds the lower valance and belly pan in place. Mine has the bottom three tabs broken. 'Something' good is going to happen here.

Funky, gunky stuff. Looks like a water stain or mold or some sort.

Again, stains from what I assume were cigarettes. Passenger side was grungy and stained darker than the drivers. Some Tide and warm water brought the dirt out. The headliner and pillar caps are a lighter tan than the interior.

Going back together. I actually like the color difference a lot. The tan doesn't look goofy. The new material does stink though. Hopefully it gasses off quickly and the interior goes back to smelling like leather.

Here's something I thought was interesting. It looks like the coupes started out as convertibles and they just installed the coupe quarters and roof structure to the basic convertible sub frame. The structure above the speaker is thick and heavy duty and there's three large studs like what the vert roof mechanism would bolt too. Kind of explains why the rear interior looks like it was from a convertible with the super wide 1/4 panels.

Finally some gratuitous 'windows' open shots. Really is a pity they didn't design the rear windows to lower like the verts do.

Currently it's too warm to crawl around in the car so I think I'm going to do some other stuff until the sun sets.

gts055 (07-06-2020)
Old 07-21-2017, 03:27 PM
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts

Regarding the structure in the rear quarters... I remember reading that the X150 was designed first and foremost as a convertible. I also saw a 40ish minute long documentary on YouTube about the development and manufacture of the X150. When I get home, I'll look for it and post the link if I can find it.

Ranchero50 (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by Mandrake
Regarding the structure in the rear quarters... I remember reading that the X150 was designed first and foremost as a convertible.
+1
Remember reading/hearing that too.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

The X100 and the F-type (X152) were both designed as convertibles first, probably because expected sales for convertibles were going to be higher. (Although, the F-type prototype/concept car was shown as a coupe)

Old 07-21-2017, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

So, managed to finish up the interior as it got dark and am only missing one screw Not too bad since it's probably under the front seats. Used some Goop to delouse the rear seats and panels. Turned out pretty well for 'tan'. Everything seems to still work as well which is good.

Hopefully tomorrow will be less than mind numbingly hot so I can give the car a much needed bath.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I think your "two tone" effect looks pretty cool. If it were me, I think I would let be the way it is for a while and see if living with it works. Nice work, most impressive.

Ranchero50 (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 02:04 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi
Good job as usual ! May I ask you how do you remove the rear quarter window ? Looks like a good solution to ease the headliner removal process !

Old 07-22-2017, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by f-xo
Hi
Good job as usual ! May I ask you how do you remove the rear quarter window ? Looks like a good solution to ease the headliner removal process !
It's surprisingly simple. If you use a fingernail to unwrap the outer seal at the bottom of the window from where it's tucked inside the inner quarter panel trim you'll see a pair of screws and a little cast aluminum bracket that holds the bottom of the window in place. At the top it just tucks into the seal groove and the back has a white plastic guide 'spear' to align it as you push it back into the seal groove. Anyway, loosen the screws or in my case just slide the window forward as my brackets were broken. Once the window is out, tuck the outer seal back on the inside and shut the door. Takes about 30 seconds to pop one out.

Going back in is the reverse. Just take care when the spear base goes into the seal so the seal doesn't get damaged.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:45 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks ! I know people having removed the seats for the same purpose, that sounds much easier. I wouldn't have dared to try that.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Unhappy Dis-traction...

Cummins converted IH 656 is puking more fuel than it's burning out the injector pump so it's coming apart today for a reseal vs doing anything with the car.

Sorry for the delay...

Old 07-27-2017, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Gotta eat

Old 07-27-2017, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Cummins converted IH 656 is puking more fuel than it's burning out the injector pump so it's coming apart today for a reseal vs doing anything with the car.

Sorry for the delay...
May as well adjust the camber on that thing while yer at it

Ranchero50 (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up The prowling cat...

So, this morning after working the past twelve hours I received the answer to an unasked question on the way home. A couple minutes into the commute up a nearly empty I-81 a 'arrest me' red 5.0 Mustang with a aftermarket spoiler and very loud exhaust running at speed in the slow lane asked the question. At cruising speed once we came alongside his exhaust roared. Game on. The cat leapt as the go fast pedal found carpet and the horse fell back a car length for each 10 mph of speed increase. After about three minutes but more likely 15 seconds he gave up and all I could think was 'Damn, he's lucky I don't have a 5.0 too'.

So, for the record, a semi clapped out ten year old 125k mile 4.2 will pull hard on a new 6 speed 5.0 Mustang. He should have had me with HP so I suspect the aero in the XKR is a lot better vs. the stang. Actually the faster we went the quicker he fell back if that makes sense. He eventually caught up and blipped the throttle a couple times before hitting his exit. It was obnoxiously loud, like no cats loud.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ranchero50:
ralphwg (08-02-2017), robtroxel (08-01-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Wow. Impressive. Gets your heart rate going after a long day/night at work!

Thing about the Mustang owners (I had a GT for 28 yrs so I can talk )... Of all car owners, it seems the Mustang crowd has the most vehicles with loudest most annoying exhaust of any other car crowd. And it's a shame because I think the 5.0 stock exhaust sounds pretty good.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

When I had my 05 XJR I took a few dudes to school. I'm so ashamed, NOT!

Old 08-02-2017, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Question Pick-n scabs...

Current pics of the car. It's grungy even when it's clean.

Been catching Hell for driving a 'chicks car' once the coworkers noticed the ghosted Diamond beauty salon logo on the back glass during the morning dew. Decision was to kill it with fire. Weapon of choice was the little sponge wheel from my headlamp polishing kit on the 90` drill since it's slow. Liberal slinging of polishing compound dug through the industrial fallout without marking the glass thankfully. Took about 30 minutes to get the back glass butter smooth.

So, picking scabs. I took the wheel across the paint to see what it would do. My paint job is plain old Earl Sheib bad. Not even MAACO quality. Once the fallout was cleaned off this is the result. Gouges in the paint and tons of dirt in the clear. Clay bar wouldn't touch the fallout. Been like this since it was painted which is SAD for such a nice car. Pics are post cleaning. Flash shows green.

No flash shows black. Interesting color.

Finally after compounding this corner with the little 3" wheel the paint pops where it was done. The rest is pretty drab.

I think over the next couple weeks I'll pick away at compounding the top surfaces and work my way down the sides. I could, maybe should go buy a decent grinder based DA compounding buffer but this is working for now without making it worse.

Quick Reply: 'The Green Turtle' or 'Lets Fix This Junk'