XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

'The Green Turtle' or 'Lets Fix This Junk'

Old 05-05-2018, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

So, another wire broke next to the one I repaired last year.

Kind of an LOL moment but when I washed the car before working on this morning it I found a dick and ***** finger line on the back glass in the pollen...

I also realize that at the rate the clear is coming off that by the fall this thing'll be flat black. Oh well, it'll be easy to maintain while getting the body straightened out.

Now to get the lamp working again and get some wax on it before tomorrows deluge.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

So, good (?) day. Got the lamp working, waxed the car (no polishing this time around) to keep pollen from sticking to it. Took a couple minutes to pick the old Bondo out from below the fuel door. Nasty wet sandy looking stuff under there so I took a wire wheel cup in an electric grinder and dug the rest out. Wire wheel won't dig into the base metal. I assume this is from the side swipe hit the car took that creased the door and fender as well. Some of it's 3/16" thick but not real signs of impact.

There's a small crack filled with JB weld so I know this was a professional repair... Couple small corrosion holes and some weakness to the panel. If this was a boat I'd cut that out and replace it. Dang fuel pipe tunnel behind this panel complicates things.

I think I'm going to skip digging further at the moment and try to see what's going on with the wheel sensor. It's become persistent.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member

Camouflaged the damaged section with a combo of hunter green and semi gloss black. Color gives some definition to the base metal dings and corrosion.

Crawled under the car and found the ABS sensor bolt about to depart from the car. Tightened it up so the sensor will stay close to the reluctance ring. Guess that makes sens why it would fault out going over a bump. I'm going to have words with my mechanic...

Old 05-07-2018, 02:10 PM
Received 247 Likes on 175 Posts

Did that solve your wheel sensor code?

Old 05-07-2018, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, I assume my dumb butt forgot to lock the bolt down. I remember pulling the sensor so the half shaft wouldn't break it while I pulled the bearing and hub out. If I hadn't seen something obvious yesterday I was going to swap it with the other side and see if the fault followed the sensor or stayed in the wiring or reluctance ring.

It was a pleasant ride into work this morning. Car was covered in dew and it was neat to see it track up the side of the car and go over the rear quarters towards the spoiler.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Did you add the spoiler your were talking about or are you referring to the OEM?

Old 05-07-2018, 03:29 PM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

I realize you're probably getting tired of fixing all of the little bits and bites of stuff with your car, but honestly ... I hope this thread never ends.

The following 8 users liked this post by LoudHogRider:
guy (08-09-2018), JackJohn (05-07-2018), pwpacp (05-07-2018), Ranchero50 (05-08-2018), Sean W (05-08-2018), shemp (05-07-2018), SinF (06-12-2018), winstonsalemncxk (05-07-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-08-2018, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
Did you add the spoiler your were talking about or are you referring to the OEM?
OEM. I had accidentally drove the driver door mirror in and it was looking at the quarter panel and after the heavy dew we had it was cool to watch the 'dew drops' track up the freshly washed flanks and flow over the haunch towards the spoiler. I was surprised the body design pulled that much aero from the sides and aimed it at the spoiler. Makes sense why they only needed such a small one for the down force they wanted.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ranchero50:
Sean W (05-08-2018), SinF (06-12-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by LoudHogRider
I realize you're probably getting tired of fixing all of the little bits and bites of stuff with your car, but honestly ... I hope this thread never ends.
He's almost there and just needs to find another X150 for a do-over.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sean W
He's almost there and just needs to find another X150 for a do-over.
Ouch!

Old 06-11-2018, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member

So, been another month on the road with the car doing fine. Did run into a problem this morning as someone reminded me I had forgotten to lock it up when I parked it out front the other day. Glove box and console lids were open and the drivers door wasn't latched completely. Nothing missing oddly enough and the only thing of any value in the car is the iCarsoft LR2 in the back seat. Still kind of a pissy way to start the day. It was raining and luckily none had gotten in the car which makes me think it was early this morning when it was hit.

Anyway, put me in a bad mood for the ride into work but I actually stepped it back a notch and drove slower. Had a guy in a bright red Merc C300 come up behind me and usually I'll just blip the throttle and pull on them but chose to slip into the middle lane and left him go by. About two miles ahead he was @ 1/2 mile in front in the rain haze and he wiped out on a slight right hand curve. The third time I saw headlights through the haze he backed hard into the median and then spun across three lanes of traffic picking up another car in the process and ended up on the right shoulder. Wham, bam, thank you Ma'am. I assume he had the cruise control set and the rear hydroplaned enough for the puter to give it some more throttle and away she went. It wasn't raining too heavy but the road hadn't been paved since Obama gave the states money and there are some shallow ruts that will hold water.

I blipped the horn as I went by but I think he was too busy checking his drawers to notice...

Old 06-11-2018, 10:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm a bit of a lurker around here but every time I log in I always check this thread. Great read Ranchero, and good on your for putting some life back into an abused XKR. Hope to continue reading your updates well into the future!

The following users liked this post:
Ranchero50 (06-12-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Exclamation

So it's been a while. Car just keeps purring along turning dead dinosaurs into smiles. My back finally threw in the towel after unloading countless tons of concrete and stone to get my old shed in better shape so I've been running the car to work regularly. Docs says lumbar strain injury or slipped disc. All I know is if I stand upright too long my left hip feels like it's about to come apart. Heated seats are amazing, even on a 90` day.

I did take the opportunity during a family emergency to pick up Peter's (HillmoorPete) dead engine for a future refurbishment. 130k on the clock and its lost compression between two cylinders on both banks according to the diagnostic report after an overheat event. Overall the engine looks in pretty decent shape. The old has been drained and a few bits are missing so I'm not sure how much testing I'll be able to do before taking it apart. Currently it's pushed back in the corner next to my 390 FE engine waiting for me to get finished a couple other projects.

The family emergency ended up helping my dad get the turbo off his boat motor...
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...d-help-203920/

Old 07-22-2018, 07:14 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the update. I have missed the adventures of the Green Machine. Hope you are feeling better.

Ranchero50 (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Agree, it's like waiting for the next season on your favorite TV show! I know having back trouble is the pits......I get kidney stones every few weeks so can relate. Hope it improves like, yesterday....but I know thats still not soon enough!

Ranchero50 (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Better than any of the tv shows I've seen in the past few years!

The following 3 users liked this post by tberg:
LoudHogRider (07-22-2018), Ranchero50 (07-22-2018), Stuart S (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the kind thoughts. The back thing just pisses me off because I've deferred a bunch of projects due to work and finally changed positions to where I can afford to get caught up and now I'm sitting on a dozen half finished projects twiddling my thumbs. Well, actually I'm doing stuff but at a greatly reduced rate. Friday when we got home I tossed the keys to the Jag to my dad and told him to have fun as I was in no shape to unload the engine and hoist. The car sounds oh so good driving away, very sophisticated mellow, burble, growl that's remarkably loud from behind.

Funny story time. Last week when coming home from work one evening I passed the gas station close to work and saw two bikers at the light that looked like extras from "Every which way but loose" on Harleys. One an **** dragging bagger and the other a Dyna looking critter with a miniature windshield. No real drama, got on the interstate and made it 10 miles up the road into a construction zone when the pair caught up and parked about 6" off my bumper. With a car to the right and another in front I wasn't going anywhere. Well Mr. **** dragger seemed of have some affliction of torrots disease because he kept revving and braking along with up and down shifting. Did I mention he had no mufflers? I'm thinking these clowns are one tap of the brakes away from being red scrapes on the pavement. So since they were too close I backed off a little so they'd be able to stop in case something bad happened up front and as we worked through traffic I figured if they wanted to pass they could go right like most bikes do and keep moving. Nope, stayed parked on my bumper being obnoxious. So we go another mile and an opening comes on the right. Crack the throttle and the cat walked away from the biker whos form was really bad trying to navigating the left handed sweeper we were on. Tucked back into the fast lane once around the traffic and throttle boy parked on my bumper again. Gentle on the brakes enough for the lamps to light and the headlights behind dove for the pavement and they backed off a good ten feet. Kind of like they'd played that game before and didn't learn from it but stayed back a little more until it was time to get off. Tucked into the right lane and they crawled up about a foot behind a semi doing the same thing and giving me the stink eye for a brief second or two. As they went by noticed they were 1%'ers. Kind of a pity they acted like spoilt children.

pwpacp (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Next time, give ‘em your rear fog, that ought to baffle ‘em.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:51 PM

As a veteran of Sturgis and a long-time motorcycle enthusiast (and former motorcycle dealer), I give the 1% guys a pretty wide berth. They're essentially part of large criminal enterprises hiding behind a patch. Settling grudges just give them something to do today. Wide, wide berths ...

Also, great to see this thread back on page 1 where it belongs.

Ranchero50 (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LoudHogRider
As a veteran of Sturgis and a long-time motorcycle enthusiast (and former motorcycle dealer), I give the 1% guys a pretty wide berth. They're essentially part of large criminal enterprises hiding behind a patch. Settling grudges just give them something to do today. Wide, wide berths ...

Also, great to see this thread back on page 1 where it belongs.
I honestly didn't think they were 1%'ers when I first saw them or when they were behind me. I used to have a coworker who was an enforcer and he said the 'club' guys didn't act like clowns on the road. He would not have been impressed with these two and from talking to others the 'quality' of the clubs has diminished the past couple years. Strange microcosm of scooter enthusiast for sure.

In other news I did end up behind a triple white '09ish XKR vert for a few moments on the way home. Occupants were sporting cardigans, tennis visors and oblivious to the world around them. Even had the side glass up on a beautiful evening like it turned out to be.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 'The Green Turtle' or 'Lets Fix This Junk'