XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

GVIF / Chromecast mirroring question for Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

A Finnish Jaguar forum member linked me this seriously impressive modification, too bad the instructions are only for X-Type, S-Type and XJ. I wonder how doable that'd be for an XK...

Old 01-29-2018, 03:28 PM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I saw that. Really impressive stuff but from what I understand Sean W is working on something similar.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
A Finnish Jaguar forum member linked me this seriously impressive modification, too bad the instructions are only for X-Type, S-Type and XJ. I wonder how doable that'd be for an XK...
I'm doing something similar to the extent possible. Different technologies limit what can be done. The XK uses MOST, not D2B.

If the parts work together, and I'm confident they will, and you take it on, you will be able to toggle back and forth between Android and OEM.

We can already do that as posted earlier. We do it for gauges and back up camera. That's using the GVIF Converter box and an Android streaming media box or as the Brits call it, a Kodi box. Start there because you need to install it for anything else to work. The links are at the beginning of this thread.

Everything I'm doing is store bought and put together, but requires some skills. I'd classify them as a tad being beginner but not much if you normally DIY.

Added functionality is
Touch screen in both OEM and Android modes
Google Maps in Android mode
Voice control in Android mode
Steering controls to be used with OEM and Android modes
Lastly, I'm doing it to ensure everything is tucked away nicely so it's out of view.

I'm literally waiting on some fricken FFC cables and will have the demo video once I get them.

Last edited by Sean W; 01-29-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:29 PM

Speak of the devil

Old 01-29-2018, 03:35 PM

@Sean W. Just getting all my parts together. Decided to base it around an Odroid C2. Really looking forward to seeing your solution, quick question until then if I may?

How much success did you have running Google Maps Navigation with voice commands?

Weirdly on my Odroid, Google Maps in navigation mode doesn't understand any 'navigation' commands e.g. 'navigate to..' 'whats my eta..' etc. If you ask it who the Queen of England is, no problem!! This is only while in navigation mode, from the google maps overview it's fine.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LockNumber25
@Sean W. Just getting all my parts together. Decided to base it around an Odroid C2. Really looking forward to seeing your solution, quick question until then if I may?

How much success did you have running Google Maps Navigation with voice commands?

Weirdly on my Odroid, Google Maps in navigation mode doesn't understand any 'navigation' commands e.g. 'navigate to..' 'whats my eta..' etc. If you ask it who the Queen of England is, no problem!! This is only while in navigation mode, from the google maps overview it's fine.
I'm guessing the box isn't built with GPS (I doubt any of them are) so you may have to download an app to fake your location? Give that a go. Otherwise you'd have to build in GPS. Maybe Ben Wilcox has some insight into that.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
I'm guessing the box isn't built with GPS (I doubt any of them are) so you may have to download an app to fake your location? Give that a go. Otherwise you'd have to build in GPS. Maybe Ben Wilcox has some insight into that.
Sorry. Wasn't very clear. Got a USB GPS unit for the Odroid, all that works really well. It just doesn't respond to navigation specific voice commands while in google maps navigation and was just wondering if you'd tried to use voice commands in your setup and if that worked?

I just emailed Ben actually.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry. Wasn't very clear. Got a USB GPS unit for the Odroid, all that works really well. It just doesn't respond to navigation specific voice commands while in google maps navigation and was just wondering if you'd tried to use voice commands in your setup and if that worked?

I just emailed Ben actually.
Sorry Locknumber25, misunderstood. Voice commands only from my living room as part of the set up using a cheap mic on the television, and there's really only one command I can give it from the living room which is to show me routes to a destination. It does that fine. It lays out the available routes and estimated times. My media box didn't have a sound input so I added this:
Amazon Amazon

I used the cheapest mic I could find, assuming, maybe wrongly, that the XK's mic will be better. I will say, the entire voice command behaves better when the music is down. So I added this widget to each screen:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...commands&hl=en

Haven't tried it with maps specifically. I don't think I'm helping you.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:21 PM

No that's actually really useful info. If you didn't mind it would be very interesting to know if, once in google maps turn by turn navigation your system still responds to commands like 'OK GOOGLE: What's my ETA' or 'OK GOOGLE: Navigate to the nearest Petrol (Gas?) station'

Cheers.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

FYI, this is the screen Launcher I'm now using. It allows you to swipe right.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
LockNumber25 (01-29-2018), vintageyz (09-25-2019)
Old 01-29-2018, 04:29 PM

Nice.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member

No that's actually really useful info. If you didn't mind it would be very interesting to know if, once in google maps turn by turn navigation your system still responds to commands like 'OK GOOGLE: What's my ETA' or 'OK GOOGLE: Navigate to the nearest Petrol (Gas?) station'

Cheers.
I'm garage bound for the winter but I'll give it a go in the spring. I just did it in my living room and it found3 gas stations near me. Now if I could only drive my living room, I'd be set....

Old 01-29-2018, 04:51 PM

Bit more head scratching for me then.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

Ok guys, I've uploaded a video.

I've already posted the GVIF (flyc2c's instructions).
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...camera-179570/

Then I replaced the HKS CAMP2 with Android media box:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-camp2-175877/

Now I've added touch screen and voice. GVIF, Touchscreen controller and switch board were all purchased @ car-solutions.com. No affiliation:
https://car-solutions.com/en/univers...roller-utc.php

https://car-solutions.com/en/univers...-board-rtc.php

The Car Launcher has a few screens that you can swipe right to get to. You can add as many as you want. Maybe I'll do another video showing the swiping, but for now.

The following 7 users liked this post by Sean W:
Aonsaithya (10-15-2018), Cee Jay (01-31-2018), DGL (01-26-2020), dibbit (11-22-2018), kj07xk (01-31-2018), LockNumber25 (01-31-2018), Ridicrick (01-31-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-31-2018, 04:31 PM
Received 270 Likes on 93 Posts

OMG, this is amazing. I must do this while I upgrade my stereo. Great work!

Old 01-31-2018, 04:35 PM

Really nice job.

Just trying to get my head around where the touch controller and switch board come in.

Does the controller 'T off' the switch board and USB to Android box? Did the Android box require any setup or was it just like connecting a dedicated touch panel?

Old 01-31-2018, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member

Really nice job.

Just trying to get my head around where the touch controller and switch board come in.

Does the controller 'T off' the switch board and USB to Android box? Did the Android box require any setup or was it just like connecting a dedicated touch panel?
In short, yes. Check the links and you can download the manuals. The switch board and switcher go between the UTC and the head unit. The UTC connects to the android box via USB. USB mini on the Universal touch control board > USB Type A plugs into the Android box (I'm using the USB 3.0 port but I I tested using the other two USB 2.0 ports on my box and they worked as well.

I need to recalibrate the screen. I'm also going to enlarge the home and back buttons in the lower left, as you can see in the video I was fat finger it.

I'll be working on it a bit more to tuck away the wiring. Right now I have the GVIF up by the head unit. I'll probably put it back in the trunk.

This is the box I'm currently using. I'll also give a list of the apps I downloaded form google play store.

I bought it through Gearbest but the price went up from $84:
Amazon Amazon

It has Android 7 and the BT remote was nice during set up. Any android box will work.

Last edited by Sean W; 01-31-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:33 PM

In short, yes. Check the links and you can download the manuals. The switch board and switcher go between the UTC and the head unit. The UTC connects to the android box via USB. USB mini on the Universal touch control board > USB Type A plugs into the Android box (I'm using the USB 3.0 port but I I tested using the other two USB 2.0 ports on my box and they worked as well.

I need to recalibrate the screen. I'm also going to enlarge the home and back buttons in the lower left, as you can see in the video I was fat finger it.

I'll be working on it a bit more to tuck away the wiring. Right now I have the GVIF up by the head unit. I'll probably put it back in the trunk.

This is the box I'm currently using. I'll also give a list of the apps I downloaded form google play store.

I bought it through Gearbest but the price went up from $84:
https://www.amazon.com/Android-Zidoo.../dp/B0751CPWZX

It has Android 7 and the BT remote was nice during set up. Any android box will work.
​​​​​​Can't wait to get cracking on this. How did you get the OEM mic wired in?

Old 01-31-2018, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member

​​​​​​Can't wait to get cracking on this. How did you get the OEM mic wired in?
Ha! I didn't and I probably won't. I'm a wee bit embarrassed as I was thinking we had voice command, but that's in my wife's car. That said, the wiring is easily accessible, but I think I'll just use that cheap $3 mic which can be well hidden and picks up sound really well.

I'll probably just hide it and use it. It was laying in the passenger footwell when I gave the voice command in the video and it picked it up right away. Remove the fuzzy head and it's probably less than 1/4" in diameter.

Last edited by Sean W; 01-31-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Ok guys, I've uploaded a video.

I've already posted the GVIF (flyc2c's instructions).
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...camera-179570/

Then I replaced the HKS CAMP2 with Android media box:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-camp2-175877/

Now I've added touch screen and voice. GVIF, Touchscreen controller and switch board were all purchased @ car-solutions.com. No affiliation:
https://car-solutions.com/en/univers...roller-utc.php

https://car-solutions.com/en/univers...-board-rtc.php

The Car Launcher has a few screens that you can swipe right to get to. You can add as many as you want. Maybe I'll do another video showing the swiping, but for now.

https://youtu.be/u9BAyhfHovE
Great job so when is the kit coming out . Do you make house calls.

Quick Reply: GVIF / Chromecast mirroring question for Android Auto