XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Has anyone removed the aluminum window trim?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts
Default Has anyone removed the aluminum window trim?

Like the subject line says, I'm wondering if anyone or specifically Ranchero or Ridicrick have removed the anodized trim around the windows and if so, any instruction?

I can't find it in the service manual and have only done it on the XJ. I have no idea if it's the same procedure.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

It was discussed a while ago, juice not worth the squeeze if you are just looking to change the color.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Get a colored tape and wrap the trim to change colors. I used some cheapo black electrician tape to cover the window trim on my old Mustang. That was 20 years ago and it is still on there and looks fine. Course, it is in the garage 99% of the time. If it discolors or starts to come off later, pull it off and try again. Costs a whole buck and about 20 minutes.

Sean W (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I did mine for two reasons, one I wanted it To be gloss black and the other was some light pitting. Removing it from the car was easy, removing all of the rubber so it could be prepped, painted, baked and buffed and put back together again was a nightmare. If I had to do over I would have spent the $1k or so for all new gloss black anodized parts from Jaguar.

The larger piece is screwed in so you have to remove the gaskets and also the quarter glass. At that point you may discover the retaining brackets for the quarter windows are broken and you have to buy all new windows (lots of used windows out there less the brackets or with broken ones). The piece on the door is easyish to remove.

Last edited by jahummer; 05-25-2018 at 06:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jahummer:
jima (05-26-2018), Sean W (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 09:34 PM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Look into auto flex (auto dip). It’s like plasti dip but it’s for professional use only (hard to get and the application is more difficult than plasti dip). It has a paint type gloss shine. It’s very durable and looks great.

We did my girlfriends Cayenne and my old XF and we’re glad we did it. We went to a guy that was doing it on the side and he did a great job for $200. The going rate now is about $500 🙁

The following 2 users liked this post by S-Typer:
ralphwg (05-25-2018), Sean W (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

I don't want to wrap it. I removed the trim from an X350 and there are several clam shaped bits that snap into the drip rail. They break and are all but impossible to find but can be taped in place. Once in place, the trim grads them and the drip rail so they stay in place. I wanted to avoid that. And stripping it was a bear also. Stuff is extremely hard.

I was going to simply remove and give a light sand and clear coat. I may do it in place.

S-Typer, please elaborate on the process you described above. Was the trim removed? Was the anodized finish removed?

Old 05-26-2018, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jahummer
The larger piece is screwed in so you have to remove the gaskets and also the quarter glass. At that point you may discover the retaining brackets for the quarter windows are broken and you have to buy all new windows (lots of used windows out there less the brackets or with broken ones). The piece on the door is easyish to remove.
Good to know and worth avoiding, thanks Jeremy.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:39 AM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
I don't want to wrap it. I removed the trim from an X350 and there are several clam shaped bits that snap into the drip rail. They break and are all but impossible to find but can be taped in place. Once in place, the trim grads them and the drip rail so they stay in place. I wanted to avoid that. And stripping it was a bear also. Stuff is extremely hard.

I was going to simply remove and give a light sand and clear coat. I may do it in place.

S-Typer, please elaborate on the process you described above. Was the trim removed? Was the anodized finish removed?

Original trim was not removed. Factory finish is still in tact.

This is classified as being reversible. It can be peeled off, but it’s much more durable than any other spray type products. My GF uses auto car washes weekly with no issues. I advise her that auto washes are not good for black paint .. it makes more work for me when I paint correct on her car.

AutoFlex High Gloss ? AutoFlex? Coatings

Also look into Autodip brand.

I love my XKR the way it is now.. maybe later I’ll try it again to obtain a Black Pak car look.

Sean W (05-26-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 04:30 AM
Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W

I’ve been wanting to do the same thing myself. Found out it’s anodised aluminium so going to buy this and see if it makes any difference.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:28 AM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

I tried 5 different aluminum polishes on the trim and none of them worked. Even the plain Autosol that did wonders for my BMW.

If you are successful with this other Autosol please let us know.

Sadly I think a lot of us have or will have some sad looking window trim

Old 05-31-2018, 12:35 PM
Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by makecopies
I tried 5 different aluminum polishes on the trim and none of them worked. Even the plain Autosol that did wonders for my BMW.

If you are successful with this other Autosol please let us know.

Sadly I think a lot of us have or will have some sad looking window trim

Yeah autosol do a basic aluminium one but this one is especially for anodised. It’s on order and coming Tuesday or Wednesday so I’ll let you know what it’s like and take some before and after pics.

Old 08-14-2020, 07:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tatty

Yeah autosol do a basic aluminium one but this one is especially for anodised. It’s on order and coming Tuesday or Wednesday so I’ll let you know what it’s like and take some before and after pics.
Did this work? Still hunting for a practical solution, why is nothing simple?!