XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Heads up display HUD

 
  #1  
Old 04-05-2019, 02:01 AM
peterv8's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Södra Sandby, Sweden
Posts: 486
Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Heads up display HUD

Bought this one!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/GEYI...192f4c4dIHwR6O

I needed a reflector so took a membership card(blank credit card) and cut it a little to fit the HUD and bent it. Painted it grey metallic(only paint I had at home)
Took some black insulation tape to stick it to the HUD.






It came along with a reflector sheet so you can see it better in daylight but I didn't need it as it's easy visible at day and not disturbingly strong at night.

You can set a buzzer alarm for temperature and on my way to work yesterday the engine was around 93-94 degrees celsius. What temperature should I set for the buzzer to go off and warn me of high temp?

Damn, I need to dust me car!
 

Last edited by peterv8; 04-05-2019 at 03:49 AM. Reason: misspelling:-)
  #2  
Old 04-05-2019, 05:16 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Western North Carolina, USA
Posts: 147
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Default

Interesting.
Does this one actually turn off with the car? I have the Autool, but it only goes to sleep and my Cteck never goes green.
 
  #3  
Old 04-05-2019, 06:28 AM
jagtoes's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 4,660
Received 1,298 Likes on 981 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by peterv8 View Post
Bought this one!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/GEYI...192f4c4dIHwR6O

I needed a reflector so took a membership card(blank credit card) and cut it a little to fit the HUD and bent it. Painted it grey metallic(only paint I had at home)
Took some black insulation tape to stick it to the HUD.






It came along with a reflector sheet so you can see it better in daylight but I didn't need it as it's easy visible at day and not disturbingly strong at night.

You can set a buzzer alarm for temperature and on my way to work yesterday the engine was around 93-94 degrees celsius. What temperature should I set for the buzzer to go off and warn me of high temp?

Damn, I need to dust me car!
I would set it at 104*C or around 220*F . The hottest I have seen is 215*F during the summer in traffic at 90*F in the states.
 
The following users liked this post:
peterv8 (04-05-2019)
  #4  
Old 04-05-2019, 06:38 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: DC
Posts: 250
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Default

That is pretty clever!
 
The following users liked this post:
peterv8 (04-05-2019)
  #5  
Old 04-05-2019, 06:46 AM
peterv8's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Södra Sandby, Sweden
Posts: 486
Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by old_dawg View Post
Interesting.
Does this one actually turn off with the car? I have the Autool, but it only goes to sleep and my Cteck never goes green.
The display shuts down and powers up automatically so I see no issue with battery drain.
 
  #6  
Old 04-05-2019, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 5,219
Received 1,428 Likes on 1,027 Posts
Default

Nice work Peter.
 
  #7  
Old 04-06-2019, 10:25 AM
Ranchero50's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 2,764
Received 758 Likes on 566 Posts
Default

Pity when I looked I never could find on using imperial measurements. C is not as good as F for me...
 
  #8  
Old 04-06-2019, 11:05 AM
peterv8's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Södra Sandby, Sweden
Posts: 486
Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ranchero50 View Post
Pity when I looked I never could find on using imperial measurements. C is not as good as F for me...
You can change it to Fahrenheit if that's what you mean.
 
  #9  
Old 04-06-2019, 11:36 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: LA
Posts: 577
Likes: 0
Received 142 Likes on 104 Posts
Default

This is awesome!
 
The following users liked this post:
peterv8 (04-07-2019)
  #10  
Old 04-07-2019, 04:31 PM
Ranchero50's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 2,764
Received 758 Likes on 566 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by peterv8 View Post
You can change it to Fahrenheit if that's what you mean.
Are you sure? The description talks about changing the alarm temp below 120 but nothing about setting it up for `F versus `C.
 
  #11  
Old 04-08-2019, 11:52 AM
DannyJ's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Israel
Posts: 59
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default


I just put it on dash
Works great even on sunny days

Highest temp I got yet was 95 C. Usual is 92
Is thar the engine sweet spot?
 
  #12  
Old 04-09-2019, 10:30 AM
peterv8's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Södra Sandby, Sweden
Posts: 486
Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ranchero50 View Post
Are you sure? The description talks about changing the alarm temp below 120 but nothing about setting it up for `F versus `C.
I have sent the seller I bought it from the question! I tried this morning myself but didn't get it to change so not sure it os possible but you can change it to mph. While trying the whole display lid up and I got a message "Temperature sensor fail"(or something like that)!? Pulled the OBD connector off and erased the code with my Icarsoft. Reconnected the HUD and it works as usaul again. Don't know if it was coincidence or not.
 
The following users liked this post:
Ranchero50 (04-09-2019)
  #13  
Old 04-10-2019, 05:22 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Western North Carolina, USA
Posts: 147
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Default

I have ordered mine, so will be nice to know. But I can deal with it either way. If it registers anything over 95*C, I will be paying attention.
 
  #14  
Old 04-11-2019, 10:25 AM
peterv8's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Södra Sandby, Sweden
Posts: 486
Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts
Default

Seller finally answered my question, the one I have (A200) only displays Celsius.
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
plmmd
F-Type ( X152 )
4
05-07-2016 05:31 AM
hinckley
XF (X260)
2
05-06-2016 05:49 AM
spindoc
F-Type ( X152 )
19
11-23-2014 05:08 PM
jagosaurus
XK8 / XKR ( X100 )
2
11-19-2013 04:15 PM
Gippsland
XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 )
24
04-04-2013 05:42 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heads up display HUD


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: