XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help!!!! Again...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!! Again...

Hello Everyone. First I'd like to Thank Rick7311 for the amazing help he gave me on my light socket. Rick had the part I was looking for and sent it to me for free including shipping. Amazing person. Ok... the problem with my 2008 xkr is that it gave the engine overheating alarm. I pulled over and saw the busted hose coming from the hose that goes from the thermostat housing across the engine into the lower side of the radiator on the passenger side. I repaired the hose by using barbed coupling. I also replaced thermostat. @ days later get overheating alarm again. pull over. This time coolant hose in back of engine burst. Had car towed to dealer. They are saying every hose in coolant system has to be replaced. said the are almost all bulging out. 3500.00 for hoses. 1500.00 for labor. What would cause this (overpressure situation)? also where can I find a hose list with part number so I can source the hoses. Thank you so much for your help. Ryan

Old 10-13-2016, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanbanks
Hello Everyone. First I'd like to Thank Rick7311 for the amazing help he gave me on my light socket. Rick had the part I was looking for and sent it to me for free including shipping. Amazing person. Ok... the problem with my 2008 xkr is that it gave the engine overheating alarm. I pulled over and saw the busted hose coming from the hose that goes from the thermostat housing across the engine into the lower side of the radiator on the passenger side. I repaired the hose by using barbed coupling. I also replaced thermostat. @ days later get overheating alarm again. pull over. This time coolant hose in back of engine burst. Had car towed to dealer. They are saying every hose in coolant system has to be replaced. said the are almost all bulging out. 3500.00 for hoses. 1500.00 for labor. What would cause this (overpressure situation)? also where can I find a hose list with part number so I can source the hoses. Thank you so much for your help. Ryan
The hoses are old. I think the cap is 14 psi, no? So if the system gets to 14 psi, you cap will receive the pressure. Not sure if that's not happening but apparently the weak hoses are the path of least resistance (blowing before the cap). You'd need to put a pressure gauge on the system to verify.

Basic causes are clogs in the system, air, stuck thermostat, bad water pump. You should verify these before replacing all of the hoses but if they're bulging, they will ultimately need to be replaced as your shop informed you.

If you want to go root cause, fix the bad hose, change out the cap, thermostat, flush and fill the system. Once done, put a gauge on it to monitor the pressure. Make sure the stat is opening and closing. Use a laser thermometer to point at the upper and lower radiator hose once the thermostat opens to ensure the coolant is flowing freely. Do the same with the heater hoses.

This is what I'd do if it were my car. I wouldn't start with replacing all hoses until I found the cause. The other cause can just simply be old worn hoses and no other defect.

Let us know what you find please.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:30 AM
Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts
The following users liked this post:
elindo (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 05:41 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by old_dawg
I have recently started using Jaguar of Columbia, ask for Cliff in parts
(800-673-1143). Very knowledgeable, friendly and very fast shipping.

The parts site was down this morning, but, I usually just go here and look up parts.

https://oemdiscountcarparts.com/shop...derid=32683101

The following users liked this post:
Fstbmw1 (10-15-2016)