XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HELP: Is there a simple A2DP Bluetooth Music stream solution ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 01:05 PM
Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts
Default For reference

Im using rhapsody and the standard "music" on iPhone. No experience with any other music services

Old 05-15-2014, 04:08 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by russduka
Im using rhapsody and the standard "music" on iPhone. No experience with any other music services
...and you're using the Tune2Air WMA1000, connected directly to the 30-pin iPod cord, which connects to the iPod port of the car. Right?

I know there's also a WMA2000, which would use the car's USB port... but I think the Jag's USB is built for simple memory stick use, and not iPod connectivity.

Thanks,

Rich

Old 05-16-2014, 07:30 AM
Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Rw99
...and you're using the Tune2Air WMA1000, connected directly to the 30-pin iPod cord, which connects to the iPod port of the car. Right?

I know there's also a WMA2000, which would use the car's USB port... but I think the Jag's USB is built for simple memory stick use, and not iPod connectivity.

Thanks,

Rich

Yes im using the the wma1000 connected directly to the 30 pin ipod cable connected right to the port. Bascially have the tune2air plugged exactly as you would plug in your iphone before. No modifications to anything. I have no problems with the music streaming or using the phone on Bluetooth. connects to both automatically.

The following users liked this post:
Tandemcha (11-19-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 05:20 PM

OK, a brief update:

While Pandora just will not work, I did have success streaming Spotify. Control is a bit weird, in both good and bad ways...

Bad: the car's play/pause/skip forward controls (steering wheel or console display) do not work. Display holds the title of the first track played during any given session and does not update. Oddly, the track time counter appears to be fully functional and resets with each new song.

Bad: you can't stop the music, even by using the app on the iPhone.

Neutral: changing Spotify artist, or radio, or favorite list selection must be done on the iPhone. But that's to be expected for any car audio system that doesn't expressly integrate the streaming service.

Good: reconnection is fully automatic, meaning you can start right up where you left off by simply selecting the "Portable Audio" source. Once there, if the music doesn't play right away, the car's "play" button starts the stream. The iPhone can stay in your pocket or briefcase; you don't need to start the Spotify app.

Good: sound quality (via Verizon LTE) is really good!

I'll update this thread with further info as I mess around a bit more with this setup...

Rich

Old 05-17-2014, 09:19 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm using the WMA1000 in my 2014 XKR, and it has worked quite nicely for me. It had always frustrated me that I couldn't stream music wirelessly from my phone, but now that works like a champ, and my normal telephone calling functions seem to behave just as they did before the WMA1000.

I can happily recommend this device if you want bluetooth music streaming capability in your Jaguar.

PS - I have not rigorously tested all functions, but for simply playing music and making calls it has been fine.

Last edited by rickross; 05-17-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Tandemcha (11-19-2014)
Old 05-18-2014, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by rickross
I'm using the WMA1000 in my 2014 XKR, and it has worked quite nicely for me. It had always frustrated me that I couldn't stream music wirelessly from my phone, but now that works like a champ, and my normal telephone calling functions seem to behave just as they did before the WMA1000.

I can happily recommend this device if you want bluetooth music streaming capability in your Jaguar.

PS - I have not rigorously tested all functions, but for simply playing music and making calls it has been fine.
Good info, thanks for posting. Could you share your smartphone type/version, and the streaming apps that work for you?

Rich

Old 05-23-2014, 05:58 AM
Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts
Default thumbs up for tune2air!

Just wanted to report that the tune2air works perfectly for me in my 2010 XKR. Streaming from my Samsung Galaxy S4. I used google play music, pandora, and youtube. I dont have other services like rhapsody so cant comment on them. No info was displayed on the Jags touchscreen but my steering wheel controls work fine controlling track up/down and volume which is perfectly fine with me. It even reconnected perfectly upon returning to the car.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:33 PM

Mine works but control is inconsistent depending on whether the phone was already playing prior to choosing "Portable Audio" on the car.

When reconnecting to the phone, it plays whatever the last programming was... so it'll start Spotify remotely or resume iPod playback when you push play. When used this way, the car's pause and stop do work.

Rich

Old 05-23-2014, 09:19 PM
Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had a lot of trouble getting Pandora and Sirius to work consistently with my 2012 XKR-S using just the standard cable. After several reboots of the app, I can get it to work maybe half the time. But mostly all it seems to want to do is play the first track alphabetically stored on my iPhone 5s, which is getting annoying now (I can name that tune in one!)

This week I borrowed a 2013 XF for a couple of days, connected my iPhone using bluetooth, and found the streaming audio integration to be superb - it just works as it should. Every app works first time, and if I leave the car and come back, it picks up right where it left off (any app). If you switch off the radio, it stops, and then restarts when you switch it back on. If you get a phone call it pauses, and if you get a navigation instruction or a parking alert, the volume reduces.

Impressed with the A2DP in the XF and frustrated with the lack in the XKR, I just purchased a Tune2Air given the advice on this forum. Unfortunately the only real benefit I got was not needing to plug the phone in. The same problems exist with the Tune2Air that exist with the hard cable. Playlists work best, iTunes Radio works fine, and Sirius and Pandora are intermittent, take several tries and seem to depend on an order of events. I would have blamed Apple for making their own apps work well, until I tried the XF which proved it's clearly something to do with the simplistic programming of the XK and how it communicates with any device through the iPod port.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:59 AM

...almost seems like the '12 XKR-S needs a firmware update that would bring its functionality into compliance with either the cable OR the Tune2Air. Have there been any updates issued?

Rich

Old 11-19-2014, 10:12 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Just install Tune2Air WMA1000 in 2012 XKR and everything seems to be working as intended. Did forget to turn up the volume on the phone first, but once done audio quality and functionality streaming Pandora are satisfactory. Happy for now.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:20 PM
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Read thru all of the above post today. Went to Amazon to purchase the Tune2Air WMA1000 and RED FLAG: most recent reviews are calling out a problem when using an iPhone updated to iOS 8.0 or newer.

Claim is that this once well functioning unit will now not work or works poorly once iOS 8.0 is installed.

Wonder if any of you who have this unit and an iPhone operating with the latest software can confirm?

Old 11-20-2014, 11:33 PM

My experience with the iPhone 6, iOS 8.1, and the WMA1000:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-130201/page2/

Rich

Old 11-21-2014, 10:46 AM

Rich,

Thanks for the reply. Looks like its hit or miss depending on many variables. I think I'll go ahead and purchase the WMA1000.

I commute from the Sacramento area to SFO 3 times a month for work. Having Pandora makes the 120 mile trip so much nicer!

Old 11-21-2014, 01:04 PM

Agree, it's a crap shoot for functionality as both OS updates and application updates can change how well the Bluetooth works with the car. I don't know if that's true for other car manufacturers...

Although I LOVE Pandora, for what it's worth, Spotify has always worked for me. Audio quality was also quite good.

Rich

GrtShrk (11-21-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by GrtShrk
Read thru all of the above post today. Went to Amazon to purchase the Tune2Air WMA1000 and RED FLAG: most recent reviews are calling out a problem when using an iPhone updated to iOS 8.0 or newer.

Claim is that this once well functioning unit will now not work or works poorly once iOS 8.0 is installed.

Wonder if any of you who have this unit and an iPhone operating with the latest software can confirm?
UPDATE: Last week I installed Tune2Air WMA1000 and it works flawlessly with my iPhone 5s and iOS 8.1.1

Very happy with this purchase and would highly recommend to those who don't want the hassle of plugging their phone into the Jaguar media plug.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same integration issue with my Cayman, and after trying half a dozen different aux-to-FM adapters finally settled on the the Jabra Cruiser. Has a phenomenal FM transmitter (even though it's wireless - found it far better than anything that plugged into the 12v socket) and with an average commute you'll get a couple weeks worth of batter life out it it.

Oddly enough, I also have the Cruiser 2, and don't like it nearly as much. The original allowed you to advance tracks from the unit itself, without having to mess with your phone (an even bigger advantage now with the 6 plus).

They are getting a little harder to find now, but you should be able to pick up a reburb or used unit for $20-$25.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Folow up

Wow, I just cannot get the WMA1000 to work in my 2011 XKR. Following all the instructions and using the IPOD Cable plug directly in. Unit is paired with my new I Phone 6 8.1 software but nothing happening. Bluetooth for the phone syns fine with car no problems.

I even Reset the Radio pulling out the suggested Fuses - Radio definitely reset - heard the CD going off when I reconnected fuses.

It seems like my Pause is frozen out both in the USB and IPOD modes like I read earlier in the threads,

All music Apps are shut off and tried falling all the instructions here shutting phone off and on and resetting .

I guess the final step is taking to the dealer - man that could cost a fortune - even still under warranty probably not covered.

Any last suggestions for me to try.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by vtech
Wow, I just cannot get the WMA1000 to work in my 2011 XKR. Following all the instructions and using the IPOD Cable plug directly in. Unit is paired with my new I Phone 6 8.1 software but nothing happening. Bluetooth for the phone syns fine with car no problems.

I even Reset the Radio pulling out the suggested Fuses - Radio definitely reset - heard the CD going off when I reconnected fuses.

It seems like my Pause is frozen out both in the USB and IPOD modes like I read earlier in the threads,

All music Apps are shut off and tried falling all the instructions here shutting phone off and on and resetting .

I guess the final step is taking to the dealer - man that could cost a fortune - even still under warranty probably not covered.

Any last suggestions for me to try.
Does your iPhone play when connected to the cable directly?

When connected via the WMA1000, does Pandora play for a second and then stop?

I don't know if there are software/firmware differences between 2011 and 2012 model years...

Rich

Old 12-20-2014, 08:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No, when I first got the vehicle I had a I phone4S and plugged in directly to the cable - same issue.

When I received the new I Phone 6 - I actually purchased a apple lightening adaptor in between the I Pod cable and directly to the I Phone 6 - no success. I was hoping the WMA1000 would work but no success.

The display at first in all incidents reads- install docking device - after doing that it seems like the connection is then lost. Kind of comes back and forth. I am wondering if the Ipod Cable itself they came with the car is bad.

Before I take it back to the dealer I want to connect a standard IPod that the manual claims will work in this year vehicle. I have to find someone that has one - they are so outdated if you have a I phone. If that does not work - it has to be a vehicle issue

Regardless the display when in the I Pod or USB source seems to lock up into Pause and I cannot engage Play. I reset the radio twice pulling the suggested fuses - no luck as well. No problem when in the CD mode

These are troublesome vehicles for Jaguars between 2006 - 2012 . From what I am finding in write ups - they work if you lucky and some of the cars do not. Hit and miss for Jaguar models. It is under warranty so I am taken it to the dealer if the IPOD does not function. Last thing to do

Quick Reply: HELP: Is there a simple A2DP Bluetooth Music stream solution ?