Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

High performance driving threads...probing member's level of interest

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts
Default High performance driving threads...probing member's level of interest

Some other forums have dedicated sub-forums for discussion of high performance driving and motorsports. We have many members with exhaustive experience and expertise that might be encouraged to share if there was sufficient interest.

Topics could include defining what exactly high performance driving is and how it can benefit everyone in everyday driving situations, car control techniques, car control and high performance driving schools, vehicle maintenance, performance modifications, tire tech, the contact patch and how to manage it, driving techniques, how to safely enjoy the performance aspect of your XK through participation in auto cross, the joys of non-competitive lapping days at race tracks, and on and on.

If anyone is interested in learning about any of these listed topics, or others, please tell us what that interest is. And if you'd like to contribute by starting a thread(s) on particular topics please also let us know as well. If there is enough interest we could hopefully add a sub-forum for discussion of those topics.

Bruce

Old 03-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Definately interested in the whole topic.
My objective is to improve my confidence and skill in car control at/near the raggedy edge, and learn where the edge is without killing myself. Any opinions welcome.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be interested, been doing HPDE's for over 10 years and been an instructor for Hooked on driving and Dark Side as well as others for more than 4 years.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JustNiz
Definately interested in the whole topic.
My objective is to improve my confidence and skill in car control at/near the raggedy edge, and learn where the edge is without killing myself. Any opinions welcome.
Worthy goals indeed! I'd definitely contact BMW Car Clubs of America. They have chapter across the US and Canada and offer high performance driving schools and events to members who drive any make and model. Once a member of one chapter you can enroll in events put on by other chapters. If you choose to participate in schools run on race tracks you can travel as far as you like to experience iconic race track all over the country in a relatively safe and controlled manner. Many Porsche clubs also accept BMWCCA members at their events. Membership is very inexpensive. Link to chapters...
Chapters | bmwcca.org BMW Car Club of America

Bruce

Old 03-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DRubnitz
I would be interested, been doing HPDE's for over 10 years and been an instructor for Hooked on driving and Dark Side as well as others for more than 4 years.
Excellent!

The following users liked this post:
DRubnitz (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 01:39 AM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Any of you guys have any experience with Bondurant? They seem to be the big name locally (here in Phoenix). Do they compare well to other high perf. schools?

Old 03-28-2012, 07:21 AM

I have never used Bondurant. You can normally easily find High performance driving events sponsored by like Bruce mentioned everyone from BMW, Porsche, Corvette, Ferrari and Mustang Clubs as well as folks like Hooked on Driving which is a national outfit, Most offer 1 and 2 day driving programs which consist of classroom time and tack time with an instructor. Pretty much everyone at the track is nice, you get some see some really cool cars and hang out between sessions. You do need to get your car inspected before each event to make sure your brakes and good, tires in good shape, battery tied down well, brake lights work properly etc. You work your way up through the run groups as you progress and learn how to handle your car and the proper line of the track. Once you get hooked there is no going back.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:19 AM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I am interested in a racing sub-forum. Rennlist.com (Porsche) has a great subforum entitling "racing and drivers education forum". Subject matter includes everything from pro drivers discussing racing to guys who occasionally track their car. People also discuss auto racing as a spectator sport (f1, alms, Indy car, etc).

Old 03-29-2012, 12:22 AM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JustNiz
Any of you guys have any experience with Bondurant? They seem to be the big name locally (here in Phoenix). Do they compare well to other high perf. schools?
I've been to bondurant- I highly recommend it. Their 4 day grand prix racing course is great. I researched all of the major racing schools and chose this one-glad I did.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:50 PM

Tracked my 2008 XKR this weekend. Started out pretty slow to learn the car. Did much better the second day (5-6th) sessions in the car. I did bump down to advanced solo instead of running with the other instructors. I don't want to push the jag as much as I did the NSX until i get used to the front engine setup and the additional power. Much faster in the straights but the sharper twisty areas were much slower but the NSX was on slicks and I have run flats on the Jag. I was able to get much faster on the last few sessions though.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Just noticed this thread guys, did anyone contact JimC64 to get his opinion?

Old 05-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Tracked my 2008 XKR this weekend. Started out pretty slow to learn the car. Did much better the second day (5-6th) sessions in the car. I did bump down to advanced solo instead of running with the other instructors. I don't want to push the jag as much as I did the NSX until i get used to the front engine setup and the additional power. Much faster in the straights but the sharper twisty areas were much slower but the NSX was on slicks and I have run flats on the Jag. I was able to get much faster on the last few sessions though.
I was thinking of taking my Mustang to the track. Any idea how much tire wear and brake wear you can expect from one track weekend?

Also, any insurance issues?

Old 05-07-2012, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I was thinking of taking my Mustang to the track. Any idea how much tire wear and brake wear you can expect from one track weekend?

You need to ask your insurance guy about how they cover your car at "High performance drivers ed" i was told that as long as no money or trophy's or timing devices were used I was OK. If your plan doesn't cover you you can get track coverage. If this is your first event you likely won't do any damage to you tires or brakes but as you get faster it will definitely wear your tires and brakes much more than driving on the road. If you stick with it I found race pads for the brakes and slicks for the tires were a good investment but that will be the least of your investments if you get the bug bad enough. The track is very fun and normally pretty safe depending on the track. Mustangs make a great track day car.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Norri
Just noticed this thread guys, did anyone contact JimC64 to get his opinion?
I suspect we were all waiting to see what level of interest there would be to the idea of a separate forum, and so far it seems to be very limited. There does however appear to be a broad wealth of experience among our members who have participated in motorsports in other vehicles in the past, and any topics could be handled well on at least this forum.

Perhaps having motorsport discussions within this forum would give better exposure to XK owners that might become interested in experiencing the performance side of their own beauties.

Bruce

Old 05-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't had my XKR on the track yet but a few years ago I had a Nissan GT-R and I tried it on the track for a charity day where people paid a fee and then got taken round in various fast cars. At the end of the day the brake pads were completely gone and the brake fluid had boiled. I drove it home with virtually no brakes which was an experience in itself.Although we had a spare set of wheels the ones on the car were so hot we couldn't touch them. I went on to race the GT-R but I had learnt that road cars and track cars are two different animals.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

You need to ask your insurance guy about how they cover your car at "High performance drivers ed" i was told that as long as no money or trophy's or timing devices were used I was OK. If your plan doesn't cover you you can get track coverage. If this is your first event you likely won't do any damage to you tires or brakes but as you get faster it will definitely wear your tires and brakes much more than driving on the road. If you stick with it I found race pads for the brakes and slicks for the tires were a good investment but that will be the least of your investments if you get the bug bad enough. The track is very fun and normally pretty safe depending on the track. Mustangs make a great track day car.
Well I guess my point is that I have this 2012 Mustang with tires that are almost like new. My plan is to trade it in for a 2007 XKR in December, so I was hoping that I wouldn't totally wreck the clutch, brakes and tires in a single track day.

I wouldn't expect my car insurance to cover a HPDE, but I've heard of a lot of insurance companies immediately dropping your coverage once they find out you've even participated in one!

Old 05-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

My first HPDE of the year is in two weeks...

Old 05-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't expect my car insurance to cover a HPDE, but I've heard of a lot of insurance companies immediately dropping your coverage once they find out you've even participated in one!
Risk of dropped coverage is what you have to assume, so don't tell them. Some tires stand up fairly well on the track, others break off in chunks. Take it easy in the corners and observe the wear. Going easy in the corners isn't a bad idea anyways until driver and car are suitably prepped for it! You can have enormous fun without pushing the car too much....well, at least for a while

Bruce

Old 05-07-2012, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rahtok
My first HPDE of the year is in two weeks...
Well I sure hope you're doing it in the Jaaag! You might want to try "Trac DSC" to allow just a little more tire slip before the nannies reign you in, particularly on tighter corners where the tranny may have dropped one more gear on me than the tires could handle when rolling back on the throttle. I'll be looking forward to your feedback...and try to get some pics if possible!

Bruce

Old 05-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Mostly it'll be in the Z. I have all the fun toys for that car, and it's not so painful if I fail to keep shiny side up. But if I can get both cars to the track, they'll let me run both. And definitely I'll be getting some pics.

Quick Reply: High performance driving threads...probing member's level of interest