XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to check what servicing has been done...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 04:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to check what servicing has been done...

I have a new to me XK 5.0 with FJDSH but I dont know things like whether the gearbox has had an oil service or the same for the diff. Is there any place to check or will it be call the dealers in the book and ask what work was carried out please?

Old 11-04-2019, 05:36 AM
GGG
Received 16,821 Likes on 12,177 Posts

Welcome to the forums Lee,

You don't give a Model Year for your XK but, as you are in the UK, if it is 2013 or later, the Service History is no longer paper based and will be OnLine at:
https://osh.jaguar.com/

Transmission fluid and filter change only appears in the XKR (S/C) schedule at 150K miles although ZF recommend it for all at half that distance. Diff oil change is only recommended by Jaguar if the vehicle is tracked. I certainly don't believe in this "sealed for life" nonsense.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 11-04-2019, 06:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forums Lee,

You don't give a Model Year for your XK but, as you are in the UK, if it is 2013 or later, the Service History is no longer paper based and will be OnLine at:
https://osh.jaguar.com/
Its a MY2010 car so the book is all stamped but it just doesn't let you know exactly whats been done. I'm guessing b y what I am reading that the diff and gearbox would be sensible things to have serviced.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:16 AM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee Michigan
Its a MY2010 car so the book is all stamped but it just doesn't let you know exactly whats been done. I'm guessing b y what I am reading that the diff and gearbox would be sensible things to have serviced.
Get copies of the service invoices from the former owner, or ask the garage which has stamped the book to let you have copies. They will say they can't because of Data Protection law, but they can if they blank out the former owner's name and address before they pass the copies on to you.

I don't regard a fully stamped book as a 'Full Service History' (as most garages do). I want the invoices as well. Without them, as you are finding, you only have a *partial* service history, for the reasons you give.

FWIW I have never had a garage refuse to give me copies of their invoices - offer to pay a modest fee to cover their costs and postage etc and speak nicely to them

Old 11-04-2019, 07:24 AM
GGG
Received 16,821 Likes on 12,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee Michigan
I always like to do a complete fluid change on any new (to me) Jaguar so I know it's all been done regardless of what appears on invoices. The regularly missed items are understrength coolant where it's been topped up with water instead of 50:50 and dirty brake fluid which hasn't been flushed.

Graham

Old 11-04-2019, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by barnsie
Get copies of the service invoices from the former owner, or ask the garage which has stamped the book to let you have copies. They will say they can't because of Data Protection law, but they can if they blank out the former owner's name and address before they pass the copies on to you.

I don't regard a fully stamped book as a 'Full Service History' (as most garages do). I want the invoices as well. Without them, as you are finding, you only have a *partial* service history, for the reasons you give.

FWIW I have never had a garage refuse to give me copies of their invoices - offer to pay a modest fee to cover their costs and postage etc and speak nicely to them
+1. Ridiculous that dealerships and shops are now treating car repairs like medical records. They can easily de-identify the owner at the top of every invoice. It's called a sharpie, or a scissors. I've never had that issue though and have had them emailed to me on my last buy.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:41 AM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
+1. Ridiculous that dealerships and shops are now treating car repairs like medical records. They can easily de-identify the owner at the top of every invoice. It's called a sharpie, or a scissors. I've never had that issue though and have had them emailed to me on my last buy.
Quite. After all, it's the car that you're interested in, not the person who owned it before you.

In the UK now, Data Protection has become the catch-all for "can't be bothered". But as I say, in every case in my experience the dealer has sent on the file, with the previous owner's details blanked out. You just have to nudge them along a bit.