XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How tall are you, do you feel the XKR has enough leg room in drivers seat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 07:34 AM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default How tall are you, do you feel the XKR has enough leg room in drivers seat?

Hey guys so quick question. I took delivery of my 07 XKR yesterday and am questioning the seat travel.

I am 6' tall but when I put the seat all the way back my knee is essentially still touching the dash haha. This cannot be the farthest it goes back can it?

Anyone else 6' or taller and can say with certainty that there should be enough leg room? Perhaps either there is something blocking the track or a malfunction with my seat adjustment?

Is this a common problem? I only played around with it for a couple minutes so I will spend some more time on it tonight. The battery was also pretty low so that may have played a part?

Thanks

Old 07-26-2013, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

5'7" here. Plenty of room!

Old 07-26-2013, 08:36 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default 6

6'1" no problem, but this may help... my seats go so far back they rub the corner where the front seat belt feeds out of, under the back side window.

The following users liked this post:
v8moise (11-22-2021)
Old 07-26-2013, 08:48 AM
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

I think it's a seat travel problem. I just went out to my '07 and unbuckeled the seat belt and then tilted the top of the seat fwd. Then I moved the seat ALL the way aft. There is approx 1 to 1 1/2" b/t the rear bottom of the seat to the bulkhead. I'm 6' and don't have your described problem at all.

My major complaint with the seats in this car, is I wish the seat back would tilt further aft so I could rest better at a rest stop when driving. As it is, in order to get the seat back to tilt aft enough to please me, I have to move the whole seat fwd which in turn means now my knees are hitting something or other and my legs are now not straightened out but crooked. Same problem with the SL, so it's not just Jaguar.

If you want some measurements taken........just ask.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

6" with a 32" inseam on pants with a 09 XKR, and no problems, in fact; I have to move the seat forward to be comfortable in a drivers position.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:56 AM

And Mike V..........that is a problem with me to some degree because I like to lean the top of the seat aft more than some other people. This results in the back of the seat rubbing sometimes on the ??? wheel arch. I always make it a rule to tilt the top half of the seat more straight up till I can feel the seat back come off that wheel arch(sp?).

I have a rub spot on the back of my seat where this rubbing with the wheel arch happens. Not desireable. I wish the wheel arch was not there or reduced or a there was a mfg depression in the left rear of the top half of the seat so there would be no interference b/t the top half of the seat and the arch. Bothersome.

Isn't there supposed to be some 'program' in the seat that makes the top half of the seat rise up if you make the seat travel to a certain point aft??? I know the SL I have has that feature. Say if you have the top half tilted pretty far aft........then push the travel button aft, as the seat travels aft the top half straightens up to avoid contact with the aft arch/bulkhead. That's the way it works on the Mercedes and I think maybe the Jag should also work like this. Maybe I need a reprogramm of my Jags seat????? Anybody know?

Old 07-26-2013, 08:58 AM

Original poster...........go over to your right side seat and compare it with your drivers seat travel.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:27 AM

Guys, thanks for the help! After reading your responses, there's no way that my seat was all the way back. I will check it out after work tonight and see if I can figure out what the issue was.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:33 AM

Three jpg attached. All with the top half of the seat tilted fwd.

First two pictures are of the seat all the way aft with the top half tilted fwd. There is but a hands thickness b/t the seat and the bulkhead in these two pictures.

Third jpg is of the seat all the way fwd with the top half tilted fwd.

Just FYI. I saw your response and your going to check things out later in the day. I thought these three pictures would give you a benchmark.

I see from my jpgs that I need to do some vacuuming.

Attached Thumbnails How tall are you, do you feel the XKR has enough leg room in drivers seat?-handwidthone.jpg   How tall are you, do you feel the XKR has enough leg room in drivers seat?-handwidthtwo.jpg   How tall are you, do you feel the XKR has enough leg room in drivers seat?-handwidththree.jpg  
Old 07-26-2013, 09:42 AM

Awesome! Thank you for posting these, this will be a huge help! I will report back with what I find tonight.

Thanks for you help!

Originally Posted by Hailers
Three jpg attached. All with the top half of the seat tilted fwd.

First two pictures are of the seat all the way aft with the top half tilted fwd. There is but a hands thickness b/t the seat and the bulkhead in these two pictures.

Third jpg is of the seat all the way fwd with the top half tilted fwd.

Just FYI. I saw your response and your going to check things out later in the day. I thought these three pictures would give you a benchmark.

I see from my jpgs that I need to do some vacuuming.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm 5'11" / 6' with a 32/33" inseam and I have sufficient leg room. One thing I did notice is that I had to lower the seat quite a bit to get a comfortable driving position when compared with the previous car I owned.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Received 138 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by agentorange
I'm 5'11" / 6' with a 32/33" inseam and I have sufficient leg room. One thing I did notice is that I had to lower the seat quite a bit to get a comfortable driving position when compared with the previous car I owned.
5' 10", and an XJ8-L not XK, so plenty of rearward travel. However - with a mere 28/29" inseam, the AVAILABLE fore and aft travel seems generally not as useful as where one needs to sit anyway - even with adjustable wheel and footpedals.

My issue is that if there is anything at all on the fob - housekeys or such - my knee hits it if/as/when trying to park the right leg OFF the accel and brake but close-enough-to, whilst on cruise-control.

Still a damned sight more comfortable than ape-hanger stiff-arm wheel positions of several Italian cars I've driven, though, so I'll happily adapt....

Old 07-26-2013, 05:40 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure you have the base cushion tilt right. I think it can affect/limit the forward/backward movement of the seat.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Seat rubbing

Hailers same thing here but I was somewhat lucky in that the front edge of the wheel arch interior is worn (actually indented somewhat) but not the seat.

Huge design oversight!

On a side note I can't wait to see the 2015s, my kid won't stop growing!

Old 07-26-2013, 09:48 PM
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike V
6'1" no problem, but this may help... my seats go so far back they rub the corner where the front seat belt feeds out of, under the back side window.
6' here same rubbing issue. I actually have to be careful to not run the seat back as ive had to repair the corner spot before.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:03 AM

I went out today and put the seat all the way forward and now it went all the way back. More than enough room now! I think the low battery just didn't have enough juice to power the motors yesterday.

Thanks!

Old 07-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Glad you got it worked out. Did you not have the car started when you were doing this? XKs are extremely demanding on their batteries and they require more frequent replacement than is typical.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts

>> The battery was also pretty low so that may have played a part?

Yup, probably. All kinds of strange stuff happens with a low battery....
Hopefully you charged it up now ??

Might be worth taking a look at the battery. If its the original 2007 one (should have a date code) its probably about done by now...

Plenty of posts here (inc some of mine) on replacing it, preferably with an AGM.
If in doubt...its cheap insurance to replace the battery on your schedule.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:13 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 717 Posts

Clearly, there's too many, too tall people.;-)
I'd stop that hormone therapy as it conflicts with the driving position in the car. At 5'4" I find the seating perfect.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:05 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by apost8n8
6' here same rubbing issue. I actually have to be careful to not run the seat back as ive had to repair the corner spot before.
6'2", 33-34" inseam...I could use a little more legroom and have it all the way back. I've seen some rubbing, and since I needed the legroom, I put some felt (the soft 1/2 of a velcro strip) on the plastic where the seat belt guide is on. It seems this is what was rubbing on the rear bulkhead, so I'm hoping this stops the wear.

Quick Reply: How tall are you, do you feel the XKR has enough leg room in drivers seat?