Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installing Dead Pedal in XKR

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts
Default Installing Dead Pedal in XKR

I have received a new Dead Pedal for my 2009 XKR.

Does anyone know if its safe to drill into the floor area where the dead pedal goes without hittting any wiring or fluid tubing lines.

I plan to use self tapping screws to hold it down #10 head & 1/2 or 3/4" long. Drill hole will be 1/8" in diameter.

Please advise if you can help.

Attached Thumbnails Installing Dead Pedal in XKR-jaguar-dead-pedal-002.jpg  
Old 09-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Richard,

I didn't hit anything when I installed mine with the supplied short self-tapping screws.

Stuart

Attached Thumbnails Installing Dead Pedal in XKR-8581260066_6a2862fccd_z.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
MaximA (02-27-2014)
Old 09-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

No screws came with the dead pedal from Ultimate pedals, but that is no big deal. I have a Home Depot and Lowes close by to buy self tapping screws.

I just want to make 100% sure there is nothing in the way in the undercarriage when I go to drill into and though the floor board.

How hard was it drilling into the upper hole?

As I place the dead pedal in position, it doesn't look like there is much room for a drill to even drill the hole. The bottom hole looks like no problem.

I would also like to replace the chrome on the brake and gas pedals. Any suggestions where I might to buy just the crome trim pieces?

Last edited by richzak; 09-07-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:08 AM
Veteran Member

Richard,

I didn't drill starter holes. The self-tapping screws went in easily with a big handled short screwdriver that gave me enough leverage to do so.

The only source for the OEM gas and brake pedal covers that I'm aware of is Jaguar parts department at a dealer. I'm surprised you need new ones with such low mileage on your car. Did they get damaged? They still look good on my car with over 32k miles.

The OEM pedal covers are polished stainless steel, not chrome. The Ultimate Pedals
footrest is milled aluminum. The difference in finishes is noticeable, but doesn't bother me.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 09-08-2013 at 02:14 AM.
richzak (09-08-2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Richard,

I didn't drill starter holes. The self-tapping screws went in easily with a big handled short screwdriver that gave me enough leverage to do so.

The only source for the OEM gas and brake pedal covers that I'm aware of is Jaguar parts department at a dealer. I'm surprised you need new ones with such low mileage on your car. Did they get damaged? They still look good on my car with over 32k miles.

The OEM pedal covers are polished stainless steel, not chrome. The Ultimate Pedals
footrest is milled aluminum. The difference in finishes is noticeable, but doesn't bother me.

Stuart
Thanks Stuart for the reply. I will try your method. I was surprised to hear that you did not have to drill holes, so perhaps the screws you used were able to penetrate the aluminum floorboard.

As for the metal portion of the brake and gas pedal, mine have some marks and scratches on them nothing major, no major damages, and saw they are secured with an allen wrench nut and wanted to replace them. However as you stated they are different metals. They are not damaged, just scared a little. I wanted all pedals to look brand new.

Thanks so much for the input, it gives me a better idea of your installation. I made contact yesterday with another member who actually drilled into the floorboard to secure the dead pedal with screws.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:27 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

The footrest area of the floor is molded up from the metal floor with lots of free space between the footrest carpet surface to the metal floor--6 to 8 inches or so. No need to drill a hole into compressed formed cardboard. Simply line up your foot rest plate and screw it in; nothing to damage in the space under the formed raised area, just air.

richzak (09-08-2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
... As for the metal portion of the brake and gas pedal, mine have some marks and scratches on them nothing major, no major damages, and saw they are secured with an allen wrench nut and wanted to replace them. However as you stated they are different metals. They are not damaged, just scared a little. I wanted all pedals to look brand new.
Richard,

You should be able to polish out most, if not all, of the scratches from the stainless steel pedal covers with a Dremel tool and jeweler's rouge or similar metal polishing compound.

I know she's your baby, but it's OK when they get older and get a few zits. You'll still love her!

Stuart

Old 09-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member

Got the footrest installed and as DGL noted above, there was no aluminum floorboard or bulkhead to drill thru. The surface under the carpet was relatively soft and easy to put a #10 x 1" stainless steel screw into the material. I backed up the rigidity of the dead pedal with industrial strength velco and the dead pedal won't move even if the screws do come loose.

Yes Stuart, your right. The XKR is such a great car. I love driving it. It is a great ride and runs so smooth. Handling is excellent, and it's fast, so what isn't excellent about our cars. I am very well pleased with the XKR, and even though I have the 2014 Porsche 981, there is a difference in the drive between the 2.
I have a great choice every day I want to drive one of these premium automobiles.

The following 2 users liked this post by richzak:
guy (09-10-2013), Stuart S (09-08-2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member

...I backed up the rigidity of the dead pedal with industrial strength velco and the dead pedal won't move even if the screws do come loose...
Good idea! Wish I had thought of that before I installed mine. I'll keep it in mind if mine comes loose and I have to reinstall it.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Good idea! Wish I had thought of that before I installed mine. I'll keep it in mind if mine comes loose and I have to reinstall it.
I buy the Velcro in industrial strength adhesive rolls that are 4" wide and about 20 feet long. In the case of the dead pedal, I took the Velcro and completely covered the entire back of the dead pedal with the hook velcro and the loop velcro applied to the hook then pressed hard against carpet area. The industrial strength adhesive is very strong. It will not move. The screws were placed into the dead pedal to complete a finished look, but the screws were not really necessary.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

I buy the Velcro in industrial strength adhesive rolls that are 4" wide and about 20 feet long. In the case of the dead pedal, I took the Velcro and completely covered the entire back of the dead pedal with the hook velcro and the loop velcro applied to the hook then pressed hard against carpet area. The industrial strength adhesive is very strong. It will not move. The screws were placed into the dead pedal to complete a finished look, but the screws were not really necessary.
Richard. Where can a person buy the industrial strength velco. can't seem to find it here. Bernie

Old 02-26-2014, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sherbercars
Richard. Where can a person buy the industrial strength velco. can't seem to find it here. Bernie
Bernie:

What do you need it for? Installation of a dead pedal?

Advise.

Richard

sherbercars (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

Amazon is your friend:

Amazon.com:

The following 2 users liked this post by Schwabe:
MaximA (02-27-2014), sherbercars (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

And for your next trick: train yourself to left-foot brake, then you won't use the dead pedal so much.

I figure, I have 2 feet, why not use both of 'em?

MaximA (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sherbercars
Bernie:

If your going to use it for a dead pedal installation, just send me a private email with your real name and address and I will send you 10" of the 4" wide female and male (Hook & Loop) industrial strength Velcro.

Then you can simply lay the dead pedal over the Velcro and cut it to the size of the dead pedal and go from there.

Just don't peel off the white backing until your ready to use, otherwise what ever it sticks to it will be very hard to pull off. It has a strong adhesive.

No sense in buying and paying shipping when I can mail 10" to you for $1.00 postage.

You owe me nothing. Glad to help you out if you want to take me up on the offer.

sherbercars (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 09:45 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Richard, that dead pedal is a nice add-on. If you decide to buy new pedals for the gas/brake, I'll buy your old ones off you, if you're interested.

Syd

Old 02-27-2014, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
Richard, that dead pedal is a nice add-on. If you decide to buy new pedals for the gas/brake, I'll buy your old ones off you, if you're interested.

Syd
Syd:

Thanks for the offer.....if I buy new ones, I will just send you the old. They are a bit scruffed up however. Not too bad but not yet needed to be replaced at this time.

I will remember your offer and let you know if I am going to make a change. I already have your address from the Jaguar leaper badge I sent to you.

Hopefully that worked out well, except for the snail mail to Canada. I am sure it looks great on the rear end of the Jag.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I have received a new Dead Pedal for my 2009 XKR.

Does anyone know if its safe to drill into the floor area where the dead pedal goes without hittting any wiring or fluid tubing lines.

I plan to use self tapping screws to hold it down #10 head & 1/2 or 3/4" long. Drill hole will be 1/8" in diameter.

Please advise if you can help.
Richard

Would you share the source and costs for the dead pedal? Thanks.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6
Richard

Would you share the source and costs for the dead pedal? Thanks.
Albert:

$130.00 custom made for the Jaguar XKR model. 2 weeks turnaround time from date of order. Sent via UPS to you.

Vendor was:

Ultimate Pedals

(561)798-6588 or sales@ultimatepedals.com

Ask for Robert...He is familar with the Jaguar XKR dead pedal.

Hope this helps.

axr6 (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 10:32 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Syd:

Thanks for the offer.....if I buy new ones, I will just send you the old. They are a bit scruffed up however. Not too bad but not yet needed to be replaced at this time.

I will remember your offer and let you know if I am going to make a change. I already have your address from the Jaguar leaper badge I sent to you.

Hopefully that worked out well, except for the snail mail to Canada. I am sure it looks great on the rear end of the Jag.
Thanks, Richard. I have not yet taken the Leaper out of it's wrapper as the temp here in Toronto has been frigging cold. I'll have to wait for it to reach the 60's before I will install. We're not spoiled with year round near perfect weather like you New Mexico types.

Quick Reply: Installing Dead Pedal in XKR