XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Interior observations

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default Interior observations

As I search through various sites looking for a 2012 XKR it seems that there are very few (almost none) that I have seen with wood trim . Is this due to the color selection or is it because of the R designation. If I look at XK there seems to be more color selections and with that they seem to be ordered with wood trim. Understanding that the trim is an option is the cost the detractor here or is the opinion that the aluminum face plate or the black pack is considered more appropriate for the popular color selections (Black , White , Silver , Gray). Maybe I'm showing my age but I like the wood feature and feel it dresses up the interior. Once again just my opinion.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:33 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,007 Likes on 715 Posts

I agree that the over abundance of metal/ plastic/ etc just adds to conformance.
(and don't get me going on the overdone daytime driving lights... )

And I have little interest in driving a car that looks like the others on the road.
The wood grain is a very nice feature. Distinct and timeless... its the finishing of the wood touches that would be of more interest to me. Walk through a modern, 'hip' (to conform to the age comment) expensive furniture shop and look at the interesting finishes being applied.

Cheers!

Old 03-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

Jagtoes - Its really easy to change the veneer on the interior, its literally tool free. I just changed the plastic in my XKR to all black piano(my preference) finish in 15 minutes. just have to find the right parts.

You can even order the wood from the portfolio pack and have it all switched over in minutes, the only complicated past is the center trim panels. I'm sure a few members can walk you through that process.

Last edited by MaximA; 03-02-2014 at 10:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jagtoes (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximA
Jagtoes - Its really easy to change the veneer on the interior, its literally tool free. I just changed the plastic in my XKR to all black piano(my preference) finish in 15 minutes. just have to find the right parts.

You can even order the wood from the portfolio pack and have it all switched over in minutes, the only complicated past is the center trim panels. I'm sure a few members can walk you through that process.
Is there a how to-some where on how to change the interior panels? I'm afraid that I will bust a tab.
I'm a bull in a china shop sometimes with tools! LOL
Much appreciated

Old 03-02-2014, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by hawaii
Is there a how to-some where on how to change the interior panels? I'm afraid that I will bust a tab.
Much appreciated
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...pieces-111281/

It was very easy, just be gentle. For me the the hardest part was the door inserts. They were very tight.

hawaii (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Maybe I'm showing my age but I like the wood feature and feel it dresses up the interior.
More wood, the better IMO.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

hmmmm...I'm the opposite, I bought mine and it had the burl but I couldn't stand it. There was too much - console, screen surround, dash trim, glovebox fascia, doors. I'd had it with the first XF, but there wasn't as much of it and I could live with it, it really blended nicely with the ivory and oyster trim, though I'd have rathered pretty much anything else. But it is horses for courses - before I wrapped mine a few people commented on how much they liked the wood, and how jaguar it is.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
As I search through various sites looking for a 2012 XKR it seems that there are very few (almost none) that I have seen with wood trim . Is this due to the color selection or is it because of the R designation. If I look at XK there seems to be more color selections and with that they seem to be ordered with wood trim. Understanding that the trim is an option is the cost the detractor here or is the opinion that the aluminum face plate or the black pack is considered more appropriate for the popular color selections (Black , White , Silver , Gray). Maybe I'm showing my age but I like the wood feature and feel it dresses up the interior. Once again just my opinion.
What are you seeing? Spun Aluminum / Piano Black? Seems almost every Jaguar that I look at has the wood interior parts like console, wood trim above glovebox, wood trim behind steering wheel under instrumention.

I would think getting wood trim in the aftermarket would be easy to secure since the 2010 to 2014's all appear to be interchangable.

I have the Spun Aluminum and love it over the wood trims.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
What are you seeing? Spun Aluminum / Piano Black? Seems almost every Jaguar that I look at has the wood interior parts like console, wood trim above glovebox, wood trim behind steering wheel under instrumention.

I would think getting wood trim in the aftermarket would be easy to secure since the 2010 to 2014's all appear to be interchangable.

I have the Spun Aluminum and love it over the wood trims.
Rich I am seeing the spun aluminum on it seems all that I have looked at on the various sites. I have also seen maybe 1 or 2 with the "black pack". As i mentioned my search is narrowed down to 2012 XKR convert

Old 03-02-2014, 05:49 PM
Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

For me Jaguar = Beautiful wood interior trim. Aluminun, piano black = don't impress.Just me.

mosesbotbol (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

it seems to me that more XKs have wood and more XKRs have dark piano or aluminum, with exceptions to it of curse.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bobdr1
For me Jaguar = Beautiful wood interior trim. Aluminun, piano black = don't impress.Just me.
It's funny how we all have different opinions. I'm not a fan of any wood trim in a sports car/ gt car. It would look really out of place in a RS or RS gt. Similarly, Porsche used to offer wood trim and these cars are very difficult to sell in the used market.
The fact that we have such different opinions on this shows the jag captured a wide audience with the xk series- makes me wonder why they didn't sell more of them !

Last edited by Octurbo; 03-02-2014 at 08:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Octurbo:
bobdr1 (03-03-2014), MaximA (03-03-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by bobdr1
That's funny--I don't remember the most iconic Jaguar (the E-Type) having a whole lot of wood inside!

I have the wood interior but I wouldn't have said no to the aluminum trim. That's what you would've seen in the E-Type, which it is trying to emulate!

winstonsalemncxk (08-04-2019)
Old 03-02-2014, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
That's funny--I don't remember the most iconic Jaguar (the E-Type) having a whole lot of wood inside!

I have the wood interior but I wouldn't have said no to the aluminum trim. That's what you would've seen in the E-Type, which it is trying to emulate!
Yep I recall my 66 E coupe had black leather/vinyl dash board . I recall all of the sedans had a wood dash which usually cracked after a short time. Had that in my XJ but when they did the X-type it improved. I also believe my XJ-S did not have a wood dash. I think the XK8 started it in the XK series.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

I have been driving Jags for years and apart from my first XJ-S where it wasn't an option, they have all had rich wood dashes and light leather seats.

I didn't want wood in my XKR though as it just seems out of place to me. It is also the first Jag I have had with black leather. As rare as XKR's are here, I walked away from cars with light interiors and wood.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hawaii
Much appreciated
I almost took it to the dealer then laughed at myself at how easy it was. The panel behind the steering wheel you just pull on the corners evenly and it pulls out. The passenger side you can just pull out starting from the bottom and work your way around. On these you may have a few retaining clips left in the dash so note exactly where they are as you transfer the clips to the new panels.

On the doors behind the window switches just use your fingernails or anything that stiff yet pliable to pull the trim piece back then pull up, super easy.

Not the center console and dash I will have to defer to other members as I have not had to replace those.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Octurbo
It's funny how we all have different opinions. I'm not a fan of any wood trim in a sports car/ gt car. It would look really out of place in a RS or RS gt. Similarly, Porsche used to offer wood trim and these cars are very difficult to sell in the used market.
The fact that we have such different opinions on this shows the jag captured a wide audience with the xk series- makes me wonder why they didn't sell more of them !
For me my car is a XKR in the vane of a "racy" GT car so aluminum and blacks work. If I were more in the "luxury" GT vane I would go for a traditional wood.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member

I almost took it to the dealer then laughed at myself at how easy it was. The panel behind the steering wheel you just pull on the corners evenly and it pulls out. The passenger side you can just pull out starting from the bottom and work your way around. On these you may have a few retaining clips left in the dash so note exactly where they are as you transfer the clips to the new panels.

On the doors behind the window switches just use your fingernails or anything that stiff yet pliable to pull the trim piece back then pull up, super easy.

Not the center console and dash I will have to defer to other members as I have not had to replace those.
Considering how simple this appears to be I guess I'll change this requirement to "I don't care" while looking at a car. This will give me a little more flexibility. Thanks

Old 03-03-2014, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member

Thats what I would say I thought I was stuck with the plastic pieces but did the dash and doors myself.

The wheel I had the dealer do which took about an hour and a half.

Attached Thumbnails Interior observations-wp_20140218_002.jpg   Interior observations-wp_20140301_17_18_24_pro.jpg  
Old 03-03-2014, 11:18 AM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Thats what I would say I thought I was stuck with the plastic pieces but did the dash and doors myself.

The wheel I had the dealer do which took about an hour and a half.
Good idea with that airbag. Must feel great! Does the steering wheel panels (left and right side) come off easy too?

Quick Reply: Interior observations