XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ISO XKR

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,187 Likes on 3,107 Posts

You're going to spend quite a bit of $$$ to get any 4.2 S/C up to a level of a 5.0 S/C. More than it would be to buy the newer car from jump.
The only 'Reliability' issue with the 5.0 over the 4.2 is the water pump. Not really a problem if you check it periodically. Plus, you'd then lose the Duckbill issue.
ALSO, the 2012+ post-facelift cars are a bit more attractive.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

You will not find a 2007 XKR with 35k miles for 15k unless it has a branded title and/or issues. KBB is not a reliable indicator.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:20 PM
Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

Can anyone explain the comment above regarding the reliability of the 07 as compared to the 08 and/or 09? It will be a year in March that I have been searching for the perfect 4.2L 07 thru 09. I think I've come across this comment before but have never heard the reasoning.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:21 PM
Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

My 08 has been perfectly reliable.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kongo1
Can anyone explain the comment above regarding the reliability of the 07 as compared to the 08 and/or 09? It will be a year in March that I have been searching for the perfect 4.2L 07 thru 09. I think I've come across this comment before but have never heard the reasoning.
Isn't it usually the first-year-run of ANY vehicle that is the Least reliable? Besides, the 2007 has that ghastly whip antenna drilled through the rear wing. That alone would dissuade me from the purchase knowing that the later years avoided it.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:15 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Ew I don’t want an antenna sticking out of it. It appears the 2008 and 2009 cars have gotten rid of this. And yes it appears that Kelley blue book seems to be inaccurate to describe the current market, they’re all for 22+k, which is stupid considering the gentleman with the 5.0 got his for 26.5k with a warranty. Why would I pay so much for a 4.2 when I can just get a 5.0 for the same money? I’m hoping I find a great deal otherwise it really isn’t worth it.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:06 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Other than the stick antenna, I don't think there are any real differences between the '07 and the '08-'09 XKRs. My '07 has been completely reliable. As for the antenna, I pulled the fuse out and now it never goes into its ugly up position.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,175 Likes on 3,396 Posts

Integrated iPod connectivity became standard equipment on the 4.2L XK/XKR beginning with the 2009 model year. Steering wheel controls (volume, track) worked together with the touchscreen display. It's primitive by today's standards, but it works and sounds great. A dealer-installed accessory Audio Connectivity Module that provided similar functionality was available for 2007 and 2008 models.

I bought an old iPod Nano to use for all of my music. It works great and I still use it today. But it took a few tweaks to do so. For details, see: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nano-6g-50122/

Old 02-23-2019, 01:43 PM
Received 375 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by JackJohn
Other than the stick antenna, I don't think there are any real differences between the '07 and the '08-'09 XKRs. My '07 has been completely reliable. As for the antenna, I pulled the fuse out and now it never goes into its ugly up position.
How is the reception with the antenna in down position?
Where and which fuse is it? :-)

Old 02-24-2019, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Integrated iPod connectivity became standard equipment on the 4.2L XK/XKR beginning with the 2009 model year. Steering wheel controls (volume, track) worked together with the touchscreen display. It's primitive by today's standards, but it works and sounds great. A dealer-installed accessory Audio Connectivity Module that provided similar functionality was available for 2007 and 2008 models.

I bought an old iPod Nano to use for all of my music. It works great and I still use it today. But it took a few tweaks to do so. For details, see: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nano-6g-50122/
So the 07-08 cars did not have the iPod connectivity in the arm rest built into the cars? If I did get an XKR i was planning to buy an iPod to Bluetooth module and have my iPhone connected and use steering wheel controls through there, noticed it works on 2010+ Jaguar XFs and I assumed the systems are the same. I would have my iPod touch connected there but i stream music all the time and my library always changes.

Also noticed that KBB for an 07 xkr with 35k miles is sub $15k, but a 2009 is $20+k with the same mileage, imagine that... I do understand that the market fluctuates and KBB isn't everything but I really do not intend on paying more for a car unless its a good deal. At 20+k it is money for a 5.0 XKR and then after that I do not see the value in an XKR when there are much better cars with much newer tech in them for that price range in terms of bang for buck. I just love jags too much to let go and the XKR was the car that should have been in the STR's place so hopefully the stars align on this one.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by insomniac_driver
......................................... I do not see the value in an XKR when there are much better cars with much newer tech in them for that price range in terms of bang for buck..........................
??????? Do you have any examples?
"Bang for the Buck" also includes 'cool'. Sure, you could buy a Honda with newer tech for cheaper, but then WHY would you do that?
As far as a gorgeous body, gobs of power, really good handling and a lovely interior, I don't know of anything equivalent in the price range.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
Mar-Vel (03-03-2019), tberg (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
??????? Do you have any examples?
"Bang for the Buck" also includes 'cool'. Sure, you could buy a Honda with newer tech for cheaper, but then WHY would you do that?
As far as a gorgeous body, gobs of power, really good handling and a lovely interior, I don't know of anything equivalent in the price range.
i don’t mean to start a war and I do love jaguars, but for $35k, you’re getting into some serious performers which are debatably more or less reliable than a jaguar or faster or newer with lower miles. Examples such as the reliable and fast Lexus RC F which does have an LSD, 8 speed gearbox, and so on, corvette Z06, Mercedes C63, if we are talking about the $50k xkrs then we can validate the twin turbo c63s. Even cheaper are the earlier biturbo e63’s/cls63’s, SL55s, E55s, cls55, even the newer M4s and f80 m3s are hitting sub $40k. The list goes on and on and on...now if I could pick any of those or the perfect xkr, I would pick the perfect xkr, but the perfect xkr would include modifications and would have to hit me at the right price point, otherwise the bang for buck just isn’t there, especially with the heavier weight and older six speed auto. I could go on with this argument for all day but there’s a reason I want the jag over any of those things.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

i don’t mean to start a war and I do love jaguars, but for $35k, you’re getting into some serious performers which are debatably more or less reliable than a jaguar or faster or newer with lower miles. Examples such as the reliable and fast Lexus RC F which does have an LSD, 8 speed gearbox, and so on, corvette Z06, Mercedes C63, if we are talking about the $50k xkrs then we can validate the twin turbo c63s. Even cheaper are the earlier biturbo e63’s/cls63’s, SL55s, E55s, cls55, even the newer M4s and f80 m3s are hitting sub $40k. The list goes on and on and on...now if I could pick any of those or the perfect xkr, I would pick the perfect xkr, but the perfect xkr would include modifications and would have to hit me at the right price point, otherwise the bang for buck just isn’t there, especially with the heavier weight and older six speed auto. I could go on with this argument for all day but there’s a reason I want the jag over any of those things.
Sorry but with this type of logic you should move on to a higher tech type of vehicle. If this is you mind set you won't be happy or satisfied with any XK. So what ever you get , enjoy the ride.

The following 2 users liked this post by jagtoes:
guy (03-13-2019), Mar-Vel (03-03-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Sorry but with this type of logic you should move on to a higher tech type of vehicle. If this is you mind set you won't be happy or satisfied with any XK. So what ever you get , enjoy the ride.

all that being said, the initial intention of this post still is there...anyone who has a low mileage xkr who is interested in selling can PM me...

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member

........ Examples such as the reliable and fast Lexus RC F which does have an LSD, 8 speed gearbox, and so on, corvette Z06, Mercedes C63, if we are talking about the $50k xkrs then we can validate the twin turbo c63s. Even cheaper are the earlier biturbo e63’s/cls63’s, SL55s, E55s, cls55, even the newer M4s and f80 m3s are hitting sub $40k. The list goes on and on and on............................
..................... and they are all gross. You may as well get a (vomit) miata and move on.

guy (03-13-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

I guess I need to understand what "bang for your buck" means. It it means speed, for about $600 you can pulley and tune a 5.0L XKR to about 600hp that will outperform all of the other choices you mentioned. If "bang for your buck" means exquisite looks, a luxuriously taut ride without harshness, and a classic profile that will always look current, I would dare you to compare any of the others you mentioned. If "Hi Tech" is what you're looking for, those others may have some merit, but I assure you none of us who own them ever bought them for that reason.

Cee Jay (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,175 Likes on 3,396 Posts

... I’m hoping I find a great deal otherwise it really isn’t worth it.
Be careful about what you wish for...

That reminds me of the story of the traveling salesman and the farmer with three daughters. He was so eager to get them married off that he offered to pay the salesman $1,000 to take the one of his choice. He couldn't believe it because they were all so beautiful, but he couldn't decide which one to choose as his bride. As he looked them over carefully, he noticed that the first, a redhead, was just a little bit knock-kneed and the second, a brunette, was just a little bit cross-eyed. But the third, a blonde, was stunning and flawless.

After the wedding she told him that she was just a little bit pregnant!

Turns out it was a great deal that really wasn't worth it, even though he got more than he bargained for!

Old 02-25-2019, 12:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,189 Likes on 900 Posts

+1 for the last two posts.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Honestly, tech ages poorly. It's nice that the XK had some, but really it was near the lower end of the segment for that. The ride, handling, performance and style all came together in a very nice package. A lot of us found that package to be very attractive and enjoyable to own.

I owned an Audi A8L W12 when that generation had JUST ended, around early 2011 and it was an 05. The car was known as very tech heavy. In the time I owned it, until 2016, a LOT of it broke, and most of it felt like looking at graphics from a PlayStation one in today's world. My XKR has better tech and the platform was only 3 years newer and not a leader.

I like stereos to sound nice, and the Alpine factory unit in my car is acceptable, not outstanding, but good enough. I like nice seats, which the car has. I like a nice ride, which the car rides very nice for what it is. I like smooth power, which it has; not v12 smooth but EXCELLENT in segment. The car is a joy to own and drive.

sparky fuze (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 07:33 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,022 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Isn't it usually the first-year-run of ANY vehicle that is the Least reliable? Besides, the 2007 has that ghastly whip antenna drilled through the rear wing. That alone would dissuade me from the purchase knowing that the later years avoided it.
LMAO... whereas I really enjoy the classic look.

Quick Reply: ISO XKR