Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Portable Audio Interface and iPod Nano 6G

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts
Default Portable Audio Interface and iPod Nano 6G

I'm considering buying an iPod Nano (6th Generation, newest model) to use in my 2009 XKR Portfolio. According to the Owners Handbook,
"The portable audio interface supports all iPod generations available at time of writing, including the 3rd & 4th generation, iPod Photo, iPod nano and the 5th generation models." ... "If you are connecting an iPod or mass storage device, you can use the touch-screen to operate and search the device. Many of the controls are similar to those available for CD play."
See this link:
http://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix...d=368&id=70644?

If clicking the above link doesn't work, copy and paste this into your browser:
http://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix...d=368&id=70644
This will bring up the Owners Handbook cover page. Enlarge to full screen view and use the slider bar on the left side of the page to scroll down to Portable Audio.

I'm not sure the 6th Generation iPod Nano is fully compatible with my car, since the Handbook was printed before the 6th Gen was introduced. If you have a 2009 and up model year XK with the factory iPod connector and are using a 6th Generation iPod Nano, how well does the Nav touchscreen work to control the operations of the Nano? For all the Nav touchscreen functions to work, must all the music be downloaded from iTunes or will the touchscreen work with non-iTunes MP3 files? Thanks for your comments.

Last edited by Stuart S; 02-20-2011 at 03:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Yus (09-02-2021)
Old 05-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

Answering my own question:

Rather than taking a chance that the newest Nano (6th Generation) would work, I decided to buy a refurbished 8GB 5th Generation iPod Nano from Apple's website for $99. The 5th Gen iPod Nano is recognized automatically when you use the Jaguar factory-supplied iPod cable, and you can control the iPod from the touch screen. I am very pleased with the sound quality.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
GordoCatCar (12-20-2017), Yus (09-02-2021)
Old 05-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

Updating my previous posts, my iPod Nano (5th Gen) still works great and I like being able to use the touchscreen to select songs by album, artist, etc. My only complaint is that my iPod doesn't charge while it is playing.

So, I bought an inexpensive charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter but it takes a long time to fully recharge. I'll try my USB charger cable in the USB port and see if that charges any faster.

Does anyone know if Jaguar has an iPod cable that will play/charge (5v output) simultaneously?

Last edited by Stuart S; 05-02-2012 at 10:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
GordoCatCar (12-20-2017), Yus (09-02-2021)
Old 05-03-2012, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

I'm using a USB stick plugged into the USB port. The only complaint I have is that for some reason the first second or two of the beginning of each song is cut off as well as the last few seconds.

I may try an iPOD since it can be controlled by the headunit - I'm assuming that will get rid of the issues with the song play.

The separate charging would be a PINTA. Hopefully the USB port plug will charge your iPod Nano. Please let us know if that works.

Yus (09-02-2021)
Old 05-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rscultho
... The separate charging would be a PINTA. Hopefully the USB port plug will charge your iPod Nano. Please let us know if that works.
Unfortunately, the USB port doesn't charge my iPod Nano (5th Gen.). The iPod display says "Connected" without a charging icon. When I use the same cable with my USB cigarette lighter plug, the iPod display shows a large battery icon with a moving fill level indicator to show that it is charging.

Stuart

Yus (09-02-2021)
Old 01-28-2013, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Default New iPod Interface Cable

[QUOTE=... Does anyone know if Jaguar has an iPod cable that will play/charge (5v output) simultaneously?[/QUOTE]

Answering my own question!

Starting with the 2010 model year, Jaguar revised the iPod interface cable to enable simultaneous play/charge. That part # is C2P21008 and it is expensive - around $100 from your Jaguar dealer. I was told that it will work on the 2009 XK/XKR models. Not sure if this cable will work with pre-2009 models with the dealer-installed ACM (Audio Connectivity Module).

I didn't order it yet. Instead, I ordered a Scosche passPORT charging adapter for $16 from Amazon as a less expensive alternative.
Amazon.com: Scosche passPORT Charging Adapter for iPod and iPhone (Black): MP3 Players & Accessories Amazon.com: Scosche passPORT Charging Adapter for iPod and iPhone (Black): MP3 Players & Accessories
I'll let you know if it works.

Stuart

Attached Thumbnails Portable Audio Interface and iPod Nano 6G-%24-kgrhqyokk-e3w4sqjcybo-io8itcg%7E%7E_3.jpg   Portable Audio Interface and iPod Nano 6G-8426018914_b148bb8089_z.jpg  
Mike V (02-18-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I ordered a cable through Ebay from a Chinese supplier. It works for either my Iphone 4S or Ipod. I have now left the Ipod hooked into the 12 XK for two weeks and the battery shows a full charge and I use the Ipod on a daily basis. Cost around $38 and arrived in about 6 -7 days.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

It appears that you must have a MY 2009 or later to plug and play. That said, what is needed for an ipod to work in my 2008 XK?

Thanks...

Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Latest gen iPods and iPhones wouldn't work because apple changed the connector. I did buy the super expensive cable from Jag and it works with a whole range of ipods from the previous nano (the little square one) to both an iPhone 3G and 4G. All 3 of them charge too.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member
Default Followup - Scosche passPORT Adapter Works Great!

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Answering my own question!

Starting with the 2010 model year, Jaguar revised the iPod interface cable to enable simultaneous play/charge. That part # is C2P21008 and it is expensive - around $100 from your Jaguar dealer. I was told that it will work on the 2009 XK/XKR models. Not sure if this cable will work with pre-2009 models with the dealer-installed ACM (Audio Connectivity Module).

I didn't order it yet. Instead, I ordered a Scosche passPORT charging adapter for $16 from Amazon as a less expensive alternative. Amazon.com: Scosche passPORT Charging Adapter for iPod and iPhone (Black): MP3 Players & Accessories I'll let you know if it works.

Stuart
I received the Scosche passPort and am very pleased after using it for several weeks without any problems. It plugs into the connector on the bottom of my iPod Nano 5th Gen and the OEM Jaguar iPod cable plugs into the Scosche. Both connections are tight and the entire assembly fits in the center armrest, which I keep closed so my iPod is out of sight. My iPod stays fully charged and the touchpad and steering wheel controls continue to work as they did before I installed the Scosche passPORT adapter. I now leave my iPod in the car (unplugged and off), since I no longer have to take it inside to charge it. I highly recommend the Scosche passPORT to anyone who wants a less expensive alternative to a new factory charging/interface cable.

Stuart

Attached Thumbnails Portable Audio Interface and iPod Nano 6G-8426018914_b148bb8089_z.jpg  
Old 02-28-2014, 10:12 PM
Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

I just bought an iPhone cable for my 2012 XKR-S from Amazon, and while my iPhone 5s plays through the head unit, with full controls, it doesn't charge while playing. I saw another member with the same model and year who had this problem with an iPod nano and solved it with a pass through adapter (like the Scosche). I could buy one of these but I am baffled since I have confirmed using a multimeter that the iPhone is getting the requisite 5v from the car via pin 5 of the lightning plug, so it should be charging without any kind of adapter. Any ideas out there? Also, anyone with the same model and year had success with the official Jaguar cable? If so, I'll just go buy one (foolishly thought I could save ~$100!)

Old 04-02-2015, 05:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi.
I am new to this site as I have only recently purchased a Jaguar XKR 2009. Here in NZ we do not have the outlet afforded by America or Europe. I am presently attempting to buy connections for the iPod outlet which will work a I phone 5s on the touch screen controls. Can anyone advise a cable type which is best used for a 2009 model and the best website to purchase from.
Regards
Assure

Old 04-04-2015, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by Assure
Hi.
I am new to this site as I have only recently purchased a Jaguar XKR 2009. Here in NZ we do not have the outlet afforded by America or Europe. I am presently attempting to buy connections for the iPod outlet which will work a I phone 5s on the touch screen controls. Can anyone advise a cable type which is best used for a 2009 model and the best website to purchase from.
Kia ora, Assure. Do you have the iPod & USB connector at the rear of the centre console storage compartment?

Old 04-05-2015, 08:13 PM

Hi Ngarara,

Thank you for your reply.
Yes I do have both of the ports you mention. I have tried to use the USB port using my Iphone 5S and also using a memory stick with various types of down loads from both itunes and microsoft media player. The system does not read these with the message in the folders tab " no music file available" so unfortunate,y I am still having no luck.

Regards
Alan

Yus (09-02-2021)
Old 04-06-2015, 04:14 AM
Veteran Member

OK, with the iPod, you need to use the Jaguar-supplied 30-pin cable, with an Apple 30-pin-to-Lightning adapter (get the genuine Apple one, some people have had issues with copies). It won't work if you use a Lightning USB cable plugged into the USB port.

I have no experience with using memory sticks, sorry.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Del Boy
I just bought an iPhone cable for my 2012 XKR-S from Amazon, and while my iPhone 5s plays through the head unit, with full controls, it doesn't charge while playing. I saw another member with the same model and year who had this problem with an iPod nano and solved it with a pass through adapter (like the Scosche). I could buy one of these but I am baffled since I have confirmed using a multimeter that the iPhone is getting the requisite 5v from the car via pin 5 of the lightning plug, so it should be charging without any kind of adapter. Any ideas out there? Also, anyone with the same model and year had success with the official Jaguar cable? If so, I'll just go buy one (foolishly thought I could save ~$100!)
Ngarara may be right that you need a genuine Apple Lightning adapter together with the OEM Jaguar cable for your model year. I know that the first version of the OEM iPod cable (2009 4.2L) didn't simultaneously charge, but the second version introduced with the 2010 5.0L-and up models did. I don't know if Jaguar further updated that cable with a Lightning connector. If not, then Ngarara is right.

Did the Amazon ad specifically state that the cable simultaneously plays and charges? If not, then it probably doesn't. I'd return it and buy the latest version OEM Jaguar cable, unless you want to try the Scosche adapter and see if it works with the cable you bought from Amazon. The Scosche adapter works with the first version OEM cable, but I don't know if it will work with non-OEM cables to simultaneously charge and play.

Last edited by Stuart S; 04-06-2015 at 05:14 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:08 PM
Default Thanks to all who helped from Assure.

Originally Posted by ralphwg
I ordered a cable through Ebay from a Chinese supplier. It works for either my Iphone 4S or Ipod. I have now left the Ipod hooked into the 12 XK for two weeks and the battery shows a full charge and I use the Ipod on a daily basis. Cost around $38 and arrived in about 6 -7 days.
Recently I asked the forum about audio connections for the USB and IPod sockets located in the XKR (2009) console. After a visit to my local Jaguar dealer they informed me the trouble I was having was due to the new software available now as opposed to back in 2009 and the jaguar audio unit in my vehicle only supported file extension music MP3, (MPEG1 L3, MPEG2 2.5) and WMA files. With this knowledge I had a trip to my local computer retailer who advised to download the AVS Audio Converter from the web. On doing so this programme allows various methods for file conversions. Through the process of elimination I have found that thrree formats can be played directly from a USB these being MP3, WAV and WMA programmes but only on small storage devices.
I hope this information will help others with a similar problem.

Regards
Alan (Assure)

Old 04-14-2015, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting - the handbook for mine (MY11) says it plays MP3, WMA, WAV and AAC files, with a maximum of 256 GB capacity. I guess the later software is effectively a downgrade!

It should still support iPhones & iPods, though - they use AAC, but the data is decoded by the Apple device and what the car receives is an audio feed.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:43 PM

My iPhone had mp4 recordings as default from my itunes( NZ?) but I can change the settings to AAC and try this to see if the hone will work.Thanks
Regards
Alan

Old 04-14-2015, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member

AAC is MP4 audio (I think the file suffix is .m4a) - just an Apple branding thing. If that new software won't play MP4/AAC, that's why your iPhone doesn't work via USB; you have to use the Jag cable (plus Lighting adapter, if necessary) with the iDevices.

Quick Reply: Portable Audio Interface and iPod Nano 6G