XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Issues to look for

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 03:04 AM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Issues to look for

In about six weeks I'm going to be looking pretty hard at getting a '10 or '11 XKR. I know about the timing tensioner potential issue and what to listen for to find it, but are there any other specific issues I need to watch out for? Also, is there anything in particular I should look for, other than the usual items when buying any used vehicle?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 469 Posts

For the next 3-5 years I would look extra hard for water/flood damage. There is gonna be a lot of Jags with issue's coming to market soon.

The following users liked this post:
winstonsalemncxk (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

The timing/tensioner problems were with the 4.0L X100 models up to the end of 2002. I don't believe there has been a noteworthy problem with the 5.0L engines in this regard. The 4.0L engines had plastic secondary tensioner/guides that were prone to cracking and then breaking usually ending up in catastrophic engine failure. Replacements were metal tensioners.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:37 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

Verify that all the electrical items work, especially the drivers seat. Make sure it reclines back and forth and that you can find a comfortable seating position. Nothing is worse than a drivers seat that is 'stuck' and you can't get comfortable.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

You're new here. Fortunately there have been hundreds of other who have done the same thing as you are. I'd recommend reading back the past 40 pages of threads and learning about what goes bump in the night on these cars. It'll give you a much more confident position in buying the car. Subscribe to the threads that interest you (the duckbill and lug nuts ones are mandatory) and once you have your new ride go over it.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:29 AM
Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
You're new here. Fortunately there have been hundreds of other who have done the same thing as you are. I'd recommend reading back the past 40 pages of threads and learning about what goes bump in the night on these cars. It'll give you a much more confident position in buying the car. Subscribe to the threads that interest you (the duckbill and lug nuts ones are mandatory) and once you have your new ride go over it.

Add the battery threads to these.

Other common problems are dash leather shrinkage and convertible rear window separation.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

A lot of what to look for depends on who you are and what you know. And what time you have for cars, and how particular you are that everything be "right".

But without knowing that:
buy a car with records kept
in good cosmetic condition in and out
keep an eye on coolant and oil levels when you first get it

and enjoy!

Old 10-04-2017, 04:20 PM
Received 128 Likes on 89 Posts

As mentioned, the tensioners were only applicable to the early 4.0 litre engines. The years that you mention had a few water pump leaking issues but other than a pile of electronics and electrics trying to use up the battery, they are pretty much bullet proof. You might check that the rear window, if a convertible, is still completely glued in. Be aware that age degrades the soft suspension components like bushings almost as much as driving.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:27 PM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
For the next 3-5 years I would look extra hard for water/flood damage. There is gonna be a lot of Jags with issue's coming to market soon.
I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for flooding damage. Houston is a common place for me to find vehicles since it's pretty close to me and always has a huge selection of vehicles to chose from. Right now, that's not a good place to get vehicles.

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
Verify that all the electrical items work, especially the drivers seat. Make sure it reclines back and forth and that you can find a comfortable seating position. Nothing is worse than a drivers seat that is 'stuck' and you can't get comfortable.
A comfortable seat is extremely high on my priority list. I have a concealed carry permit and carry all the time when possible. That ends up being everywhere except for at work. I'm very familiar with uncomfortable seat positions. I plan on taking a nice long test drive to make sure the seat remains comfortable on trips.

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
I am new, and have been looking over many many threads. I just haven't had good luck finding significant problems with the 5.0. I blame it on getting old and not being able to work the internet as well as teenagers. I'll definitely check out the duckbill and lug nuts though.

Originally Posted by Tervuren
A lot of what to look for depends on who you are and what you know. And what time you have for cars, and how particular you are that everything be "right".

But without knowing that:
buy a car with records kept
in good cosmetic condition in and out
keep an eye on coolant and oil levels when you first get it

and enjoy!
I'm not excessively picky about things. I understand that a used car isn't a new one and has been used. I don't expect perfection, but I do expect that everything functions well. In fact, the first thing I do with a used vehicle is change all the fluids and pay particular attention to levels and clarity of the fluids for the first few months just to be safe.

Are there commonly issues with coolant leaks in the 5.0L?

Originally Posted by tberg
The timing/tensioner problems were with the 4.0L X100 models up to the end of 2002. I don't believe there has been a noteworthy problem with the 5.0L engines in this regard. The 4.0L engines had plastic secondary tensioner/guides that were prone to cracking and then breaking usually ending up in catastrophic engine failure. Replacements were metal tensioners.
Oh, I thought I remembered reading about some tensioner issues with the 5.0L, but that they weren't nearly as common as they were with the 4.0L. It's good to hear that they aren't an issue.

Originally Posted by Don-T
As mentioned, the tensioners were only applicable to the early 4.0 litre engines. The years that you mention had a few water pump leaking issues but other than a pile of electronics and electrics trying to use up the battery, they are pretty much bullet proof. You might check that the rear window, if a convertible, is still completely glued in. Be aware that age degrades the soft suspension components like bushings almost as much as driving.
I'm definitely planning on getting a coupe. I've had a sunroof in pretty much every car I've had, and never used them. If I got a convertible, I highly doubt I would have the top down after the first few months. I also have to admit that the coupe is way better looking than the convertibles. I'd consider a hard top convertible, but definitely not a soft top.

At 7 years old, I expect to replace a few bushings. I be the sway bars will need new ones.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

The reason you don't really find much issues, is well...there aren't.

I've noticed from browsing car faxes that 2010 MY OEM water pumps tend to make it to about 45K miles. The design got superseded several times.

Other than that, I've mostly just seen "computer issues", tires, brakes, coolant hoses.

So long as you buy a car in good condition: it should just run and keep running with only regular maintenance.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I'd get the codes read. The adaptive headlamps in the 10/11 years are prone to throwing errors which is really annoying when it flashes on the dash and a permanent fix can be expensive. I'm not sure if that persisted into the model where they have the changed headlight shape, with LEDs. If it is throwing the errors for the adaptive headlamps I'd try to get the modules replaced.

The TPMS can play up as well but the fix for that seems to be to overinflate and run it for a day or two then let the tyres back down again.

Other than that mine had a creaky steering rack which was fixed during a service, and was otherwise trouble free when I had it between 40,000 to 60000kms.

I see you mentioned the seat comfort above. It actually took me ages to get the seat right, there are so many options it was something I was fiddling with for weeks. So unless you are very lucky or very clever, dont be surprised if you cant crack it on the first drive. Once you get it right though the seats are sublime.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

The big issue with the battery/electronics can be solved quite simply for less than $100. Purchase and use a battery maintainer when your car is not in use, particularly if it is not to be a daily driver. The maintainer of choice on the Forum is the CTek.

You can find several threads about battery maintenance and Ctek's; just type Ctek in the search box in the upper right corner of this page. Incidentally, Jaguar has a private labeled Ctek in its accessories catalog.