XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Just bought 2014 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 05:28 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Just bought 2014 XKR

Old 06-10-2017, 05:36 PM

What's your favorite brand of car wash/wax for it? It's a dark, almost black, gray convertible.

What's your favorite car cover for inside the garage? Won't be storing outside.

What's your favorite interior duster? Exterior?

What other essentials did you buy after your purchase?

Thank you mates,
GR

Old 06-10-2017, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Welcome aboard! You have acquired a wonderful vehicle. Please post some pics so all can admire your new ride. There are multiple opinions on washing, waxing and/or coating Jaguars. Suggest you type in the search box at the upper right side of the page, words such as washing, waxing, etc. you will find many postings and threads on almost all of the subjects you will be looking for.

Unless your XKR is going to be your daily driver a key suggestion is to acquire a battery tender. CTeck is very popular among Forum subscribers. A complete CTeck setup including an extension cord should cost less than $90 and can be found on Amazon. These cars are loaded with computers and electronics and having a fully charged battery is a must. I keep a feather duster in my boot (trunk) and use it when necessary.

If you have a convertible you want to look into the JagWrangler's remote top controller. It is a wonderfully designed accessory and price reasonably. The JagWrangler is a member of the Forum; his handle is WhiteXKR.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Don't apply wax, buy and use a nano ceramic paint coating.

Ceramic coatings are state of the art technology in auto detailing.

Here are a few names you can google for information:

Pinnacle Black Diamond Paint Coating V2.0

Adams Ceramic Coating kit w/ Ceramic Boost.

Other Jaguar Forum members have taken my advice and all never go back to using a wax product. It is old school.

Be sure to buy a NanoSkin surface prep mitt to remove any microscopic contaminates in embedded into the paint surface.

Visit these threads and educate yourself:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...il-wow-176293/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-175356/page5/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-today-172999/

Happy detailing....

Old 06-11-2017, 08:14 AM

Thank you Richard. Looking forward to reading more from others in this thread about their methods/preferred products. Wish I lived in the south. I'm either in pollen world or snow world with little inbetween for perfect "non pollutant" days.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I am big fan Nano Mitt (fine grade) to "clay" the car. Blackfire Sealant, and any Collinite wax. Which wax I use depends on how much protection, vs ultimate shine. Their waxes are top notch and easy to apply.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (06-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 02:02 PM

Without calling, which I will, is there a way to tell if the dealership waxed your car when detailing before picking up? I do see quite a few swirl marks but can't prove now that it came from the dealer given it's already got 43K on it and was pretty full of pollen and rain marks prior to buying and I did a walk around before leaving and didn't see anything until in my garage.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:03 PM

Oh, and will ceramic stuff take them out or make them less noticeable?

Old 06-11-2017, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostRider9000
Without calling, which I will, is there a way to tell if the dealership waxed your car when detailing before picking up? I do see quite a few swirl marks but can't prove now that it came from the dealer given it's already got 43K on it and was pretty full of pollen and rain marks prior to buying and I did a walk around before leaving and didn't see anything until in my garage.
I would assume that the dealer detailing was no more then a wash and maybe spray detailer. Then a vacuum and window clean. If you got a real detail you would not see swirls.

Old 06-11-2017, 03:20 PM

@Ralphwg When you say get a battery trickle charger as these cars like a full battery, are we talking attach it when you won't be driving it for few days, week or a month? I am picturing the top only half deploying or something if not driven for a week or two Thanks.

Old 06-11-2017, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I would assume that the dealer detailing was no more then a wash and maybe spray detailer. Then a vacuum and window clean. If you got a real detail you would not see swirls.
Thank you but these are more like those fine lines you see from a car wash brush with sand in it, but only at certain angles.

Old 06-11-2017, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Thank you but these are more like those fine lines you see from a car wash brush with sand in it, but only at certain angles.
Almost all of the dealers I've seen have the contact rotary type car washes in their dealerships. If it is a no contact wash then the drying would cause the swirls. If detailed they would remove the swirls and machine polish and wax the car. I haven't heard of any dealer doing a ceramic coat.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:39 PM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

Oh, and will ceramic stuff take them out or make them less noticeable?
You have to all of your paint preparation work done prior to the application of the ceramic coatings. The coating will "lock in" whatever your paint looks like, so make sure you've got the swirl marks removed, and scratches or chips buffed out or repaired, etc. Look for @richzak's detailed explanations on procedures for doing this, or any of the supplier links in his previous posts on the matter. He's our resident 'finishing' expert.

Based on his guidance, I acquired a dual-action orbital buffer and the supplies. Doing it the first time was an afternoon of labor, the but the results were top shelf. Highly recommended.

Last edited by LoudHogRider; 06-11-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

GhostRider - Regarding the battery tender. a weak battery will cause all kinds of strange, eerie things such as warning lights going off when not really called for, perhaps failure to start the car, etc. I have never heard of the top stopping in mid-cycle, but I suppose that could happen as well. If your battery registers 12.5 volts or below you should expect trouble. You can acquire a voltage reader for less than $10 here https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...voltage+reader. If it were me, I would by an OBD reader which can be acquired at the same link for $15-$25 and then get the Torque software for your Android tablet or phone. If you have an Iphone there is another app. The whole shebang should cost no more than $35 and you will then have a voltmeter and an engine temperature gauge as well as the ability to read fault notices.

GhostRider9000 (06-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by ralphwg
GhostRider - Regarding the battery tender. a weak... If it were me, I would by an OBD reader which can be acquired at the same link for $15-$25 and then get the Torque software for your Android tablet or phone. If you have an Iphone there is another app. The whole shebang should cost no more than $35 and you will then have a voltmeter and an engine temperature gauge as well as the ability to read fault notices.
Torque software??
And if I don't drive the car an entire week, think it will drop below 12.5v?
Thank you. Maybe just keep it on the trickle all week? Or is that bad for the battery?

Old 06-11-2017, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Torque software??
And if I don't drive the car an entire week, think it will drop below 12.5v?
Thank you. Maybe just keep it on the trickle all week? Or is that bad for the battery?
Ralphwg recommended a battery tender, not a trickle charger. It is safe to keep a battery tender connected all the time. The CTEK 3300 is a popular, reasonable priced and reliable choice.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts
Smile Your new ride

What's your favorite brand of car wash/wax for it? It's a dark, almost black, gray convertible.

What's your favorite car cover for inside the garage? Won't be storing outside.

What's your favorite interior duster? Exterior?

What other essentials did you buy after your purchase?

Thank you mates,
GR
GhostRider9000, Congrats on your beautiful car. It's tons of fun. Yes... you without a doubt need a battery maintainer... I have used a CTEK 3300 for the last 3 years on all my cars and they work well. There are more sophisticated maintainers but all do a good job if it's a CTEK. Another item I addressed for myself was protection for the front end/nose. I immediately installed a clear bra which protects the paint from any road debris which could leave nasty chips on the lovely fresh front end of your car. It's practically invisible but give loads of protection to your paint. Good luck with your car and enjoy. There are lots of nice people here that can be helpful to help you to enjoy your car even more.

GhostRider9000 (06-29-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 08:44 PM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
GhostRider9000, Congrats on your beautiful car. It's tons of fun. Yes... you without a doubt need a battery maintainer... I have used a CTEK 3300 for the last 3 years on all my cars and they work well. There are more sophisticated maintainers but all do a good job if it's a CTEK. Another item I addressed for myself was protection for the front end/nose. I immediately installed a clear bra which protects the paint from any road debris which could leave nasty chips on the lovely fresh front end of your car. It's practically invisible but give loads of protection to your paint. Good luck with your car and enjoy. There are lots of nice people here that can be helpful to help you to enjoy your car even more.
quoted for truth and general good advice!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by ferraripete:
bocatrip (06-11-2017), GhostRider9000 (08-26-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 08:45 PM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

don't leave home w/o clear bra...I did mine w/ suntek. car remains flawless!!!

bocatrip (06-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by ferraripete
don't leave home w/o clear bra...I did mine w/ suntek. car remains flawless!!!
Suntek for me as well. The best..