XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Key stuck

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key stuck

I have a key fob stuck in the center console. I can lock it from the outside with the metal key to keep someone from pushing start and driving off.

Still, anybody could start the car and drive away with it should they get inside. Is there a way to get the key out of the center console. It’s locked inside. It’s a 2006 XK.

I was told by a retired Toyota mechanic that it could be due to the parking brake light where the parking brake doesn’t work. Seems like an evil engineer to lock a key. I can’t wrap my head around why you’d need to lock the key in place and not let it release.

Thank you!

Old 02-06-2022, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,166 Likes on 3,392 Posts

Your Public Profile shows that you have a 2007 XK, not a 2006, and that you joined the Forum in December 2020. You are in the correct Forum.

Have you tried to push the keyfob down and see if will automatically eject from the slot?

If you did, and nothing happened, you could have an expensive problem. See:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...216/?styleid=8

Your Toyota mechanic doesn't know Jaguars.

Last edited by Stuart S; 02-06-2022 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Corrected error.
The following users liked this post:
GGG (02-09-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Another reason the fob won't eject is a failed car battery. If the voltage is under 12.6 volts, replace and try again

Old 02-09-2022, 03:03 AM
GGG
Received 16,818 Likes on 12,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
..... Have you tried to push the keyfob down and see if will automatically eject from the slot? .....
+1

It pushes IN but doesn't just pull OUT. Press DOWN to release it:

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
MarkyUK (02-09-2022), Stuart S (02-09-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Your Public Profile shows that you have a 2007 XK, not a 2006, and that you joined the Forum in December 2020. You are in the correct Forum.

Have you tried to push the keyfob down and see if will automatically eject from the slot?

If you did, and nothing happened, you could have an expensive problem. See:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...216/?styleid=8

Your Toyota mechanic doesn't know Jaguars.

Hi, I mistakenly wrote 2006, it is indeed a 2007 which is obviously a completely different thing. It’s my father’s vehicle who passed. I keep mixing up the year with his Hummer. Towing the Hummer to the dealership in a day or two for a possible flywheel/torque converter issue. Hoping the neighbor’s opinion is wrong on that one.. The mechanic neighbor likely has limited knowledge, he does own an XJ8 or XK8, not sure which, but yeah these things need a lot of specialized knowledge as I can’t get anyone to look at its issues other than the dealership. His help has been rather limited, but appreciated. I will review the post you links and see if that is it. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Sean W
Another reason the fob won't eject is a failed car battery. If the voltage is under 12.6 volts, replace and try again
It has a new battery in it, 6 months or so ago. Even keep it on a specialized charger when away. Battery is good. I replaced that battery myself. Hardest part was locating the battery. Certainly the most difficult battery change I have ever done. Thank you though for the heads up.

It unfortunately sat with a dead battery for many months after my father passed which seems to have caused more issues than I would have expected. Lots of lights. I took it to the Jaguar dealer and well I’ll post about the other dash light issues later. Car only has 38k miles. Unless I can figure out whether some of these issues aren’t major, then I’ll need to sell it. The key stuck is new, after the Jaguar diagnosis of other issues.

GGG,

I reviewed the image and tried it and no go. I failed to mention the sliding cover is missing on the vehicle which makes me wonder if this was a previous issue. I’ll attach a picture of it. The key also doesn’t lock in the metal key as it’s got some plastic missing. Not to get into the other dash light issues, but if they’re related to this issue, then let me know. Fan motor for the AC/Heat doesn’t work. The Cruise control doesn’t work, says Not Available. The rear right turn signal indicator light is on, seems a bulb just needs replacing. Will need to search this forum for how to replace it as it was more complicated than I am use to with other vehicles. The electronic “emergency” parking brake light is on, not functioning. I’d like to keep it and I know this isn’t a Honda Accord maintenance wise. Has a few other issues but that’s all for lights.

Old 02-10-2022, 11:44 PM

Well, I read the link. I also went out there as I was curious if the depression tab that you can sorta see on the passenger side of the key fob had electronics, thought if I pressed in any direction would that serve as what seems to be previously a slide thing cover. Thought maybe the metal part of the key need to be inserted. No go in terms of it releasing, but what did happen is what happened 4-5 months ago. After fiddling too much with it, the car says to remove the key fob and won’t start or turn on. It just says remove it. Will post a picture of that message. When this happened many months ago, the mechanic friend came and got the car started. He didn’t tell me what he did, just smiled and said I fixed it. I’ll call him tomorrow to see if it was just luck (meaning it just fixed itself on its own or what).

This is a vacation home up on a mountain, no such thing as Uber here. Looks like I’m going to have to see if the AAA tow truck driver for the Hummer will carry myself with him so I can rent a car. I knew I should have driven down instead of flying. I should have just not tried to get it out. Arrggh

I have a brought a Scanguage 2 with me, not sure if code clearing on this car is a thing, haven’t tried that yet. Might just leave the car be and focus on the Hummer and deal with the Jaguar on the next trip in Spring or so. We had a major ice storm here so I have fallen trees to deal with etc. At times I wish my father had a Honda Accord, many times actually.

To make matters worse is I accidentally pushed the convertible top open button this evening trying to turn the map lights on. Unfamiliar with buttons, it was dark, so now the rear windows are stuck down. It needs the “luggage” part of the truck put back (I took it out for the battery change) but previously these windows went up even without that in, just the roof wouldn’t go down. And I’m in a very moist humid year round environment. I love driving this car and the car itself, but man this particular car seems to be for a rich man. Someone told me that if you want a Jag, buy two, one to have in the shop and one to drive. I hope that’s not true for me. I love the car, hate the non-engine related issues. I talk myself out of it regularly, is this just a money pit, then I drive it and I’m like maybe not. Sigh. My sisters said I can keep it if I want it as payment for all the work I have done with my father’s estate, but I don’t know. Do I have patience and money for things like this, should I stick with less engineered vehicles. Probably. Not bashing the car by any means.

I can also see two torque screws and pop tabs where the key is stuck. Probably really stupid to try to take it apart, but I have to ask.

Old 02-11-2022, 01:59 AM

Okay, so after a few hours. I decided to go try to start the car again and it turned on and started right up. So very good news. I haven’t been without motorized wheels since I have 4 years old, literally.

Not sure why the cover is off that key fob holder or what that holder is for altogether. Need to research. I am going to leave it be for now unless there’s a clear understanding on what to do to fix it. This makes me think the smile from my neighbor might have been just him getting in the car and it started.

Key is still stuck but the car turns on and starts so that’s a huge sigh of relief. I can go to sleep now.

I read briefly about batteries going bad in the key fob. I know with my Lexus the battery can be dead but the car will start and run normally, you just can’t lock and unlock remotely etc. If that key fob goes dead being stuck, am I SOL? Second question is there a way to manually remove the key without freaking the car out? It’s clear the holder that is locking the fob is easy to remove with two torx screws and two tabs to you click out of place. My only unknown is whether that becomes a problem. I realize most Jag people have the cover and that’s an unknown question, but if someone knows it that’d be great as I really would like to remove that key.

Last edited by Educationk12; 02-11-2022 at 02:09 AM.
Old 02-11-2022, 03:17 AM
GGG

Good To hear you got it started. I wouldn't worry too much about the cover as it's just cosmetic but the fact that it's missing suggests you are right this has previously been an issue with the vehicle.

The Smartkey looks as though it's been chewed by a dog which could explain why it's stuck. Replacement covers are available to resolve that at low cost but I suspect there could be an intermittent fault with the starter control unit.

Graham

Old 02-11-2022, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Good To hear you got it started. I wouldn't worry too much about the cover as it's just cosmetic but the fact that it's missing suggests you are right this has previously been an issue with the vehicle.

The Smartkey looks as though it's been chewed by a dog which could explain why it's stuck. Replacement covers are available to resolve that at low cost but I suspect there could be an intermittent fault with the starter control unit.

Graham
That’s good to know that there are replacement shells for the key. I did a quick google and appears they’re super inexpensive. Thank you for the tip. The condition of the keys bother me.

Not sure why the key is in bad shape. No dogs unless the previous owner from 8 or so years ago had a dog and it has always been that way. THe other key is in similar shape. But only on the back end of the key, the part that plugs in is normal. I only have one metal key insert, the part that unlocks the door and trunk manually. Guarding that key for sure.

A few days ago I made a mistake of driving the car with the plastic cap that covers the key hole on the drivers side without it being fully snapped on tight. I walked the highway for quite a ways but couldn’t find it. Suspect I could order another one but thinking it would have to be painted as I doubt they have the replacement painted. Annoyed with myself over that mishap, but I guess small in comparison to the other issues.

Old 02-11-2022, 05:23 AM
GGG

Smartkey cases also available aftermarket but not the same quality. The OEM part numbers are:

C2P15135 - Front case
C2P15136 - Chrome Trims
C2P17158 - Rear case

The emergency lock cover does come in primer only but I've found with such a small part that a rattle can of matching paint does a good job.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Educationk12 (02-11-2022)