Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking to possibly upgrade....

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to possibly upgrade....

Hey all,

I bought my first jag, 2006 xj on 19" chrome sports, about a year ago. I instantly became hooked on this brand the second I got behind the wheel. The build quality, ride, noise, everything is top.

However, I don't really need a big sedan being that I'm unmarried and I'm finishing up college.

The 2007 xk's are at a good price point for me now so I wanted to ask how these would fair in basic comparison to my xj? My xj is awesome on mpg for my frequent 600 mile trip and nice comfortable. It's also been problem free the past year!!!

Would an xk be worth looking into? I really am interested in the reliability and mpg's but I would be a little more lenient on such a gorgeous car!!

Old 01-26-2014, 12:04 PM

Whoops my phone double posted!! Apologies mods and members!

Old 01-26-2014, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

My XK has over 71k miles on it, and I am still astounded at the reliability and pleasure it has given me in the past two + years of ownership.
I make one or two 1400 mile runs (round trip) each year and the XK is a great distance car that seems to keep you smiling regardless of freeway or twisty back roads...
As the car ages, I have taken precautions to bump my AAA membership up on level to get me 100 mile free towing, as dealerships are spread thin, but I do question if I will ever need it....

BOL
Vince

Old 01-26-2014, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Aututto
Hey all,

I bought my first jag, 2006 xj on 19" chrome sports, about a year ago. I instantly became hooked on this brand the second I got behind the wheel. The build quality, ride, noise, everything is top.

However, I don't really need a big sedan being that I'm unmarried and I'm finishing up college.

The 2007 xk's are at a good price point for me now so I wanted to ask how these would fair in basic comparison to my xj? My xj is awesome on mpg for my frequent 600 mile trip and nice comfortable. It's also been problem free the past year!!!

Would an xk be worth looking into? I really am interested in the reliability and mpg's but I would be a little more lenient on such a gorgeous car!!
I came from a 2006 XJ8 VDP and ended up in a 2007 XKR. Although they are totally different cars, they have a certain "feel" to them that seems similar.

I would say the XKR is so much more exotic looking, and feels so much more rare and special. It's more fun to drive, and the exhaust sound is so much more awesome!! Plus with the paddle shifters, you have some semblance of control over the shifting, which is a huge advantage over the XJ8.

Sometimes I miss my XJ8--it is nice to treat your passengers to the ultimate (or close to it) in British class and luxury.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:31 PM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

The engine from the 2007 is strong (its essentially the same as a V8 Aston) and has been proven for many years. The platform is great and if the car has been cared for it will last forever.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by R_Rated
The engine from the 2007 is strong (its essentially the same as a V8 Aston) and has been proven for many years. The platform is great and if the car has been cared for it will last forever.
Are the motor and transmission not the same as what's in the xj8?

Old 01-26-2014, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

The engine is the same as what's in your X350. I think the transmission (ZF) is similar, too, but with much better tuning.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by CleverName
My XK has over 71k miles on it, and I am still astounded at the reliability and pleasure it has given me in the past two + years of ownership. I make one or two 1400 mile runs (round trip) each year and the XK is a great distance car that seems to keep you smiling regardless of freeway or twisty back roads... As the car ages, I have taken precautions to bump my AAA membership up on level to get me 100 mile free towing, as dealerships are spread thin, but I do question if I will ever need it.... BOL Vince
Very good to hear thank you!!!

Old 01-26-2014, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I came from a 2006 XJ8 VDP and ended up in a 2007 XKR. Although they are totally different cars, they have a certain "feel" to them that seems similar. I would say the XKR is so much more exotic looking, and feels so much more rare and special. It's more fun to drive, and the exhaust sound is so much more awesome!! Plus with the paddle shifters, you have some semblance of control over the shifting, which is a huge advantage over the XJ8. Sometimes I miss my XJ8--it is nice to treat your passengers to the ultimate (or close to it) in British class and luxury.
Haha I could understand that! As for xkr's I think I'll stick with the regular xk. Better price per mileage in my budget! Thank you though!

Old 01-26-2014, 08:09 PM

The engine is the same as what's in your X350. I think the transmission (ZF) is similar, too, but with much better tuning.
That's what I thought. Would the tuning be why they don't get the same mpg's as an xk?

Old 01-27-2014, 01:09 PM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

That's what I thought. Would the tuning be why they don't get the same mpg's as an xk?
yes, and a different rear end. I also don't know for certain which car is lighter but in 07 they went to an all al body.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I came from a 2006 XJ8 VDP and ended up in a 2007 XKR. Although they are totally different cars, they have a certain "feel" to them that seems similar.

I would say the XKR is so much more exotic looking, and feels so much more rare and special. It's more fun to drive, and the exhaust sound is so much more awesome!! Plus with the paddle shifters, you have some semblance of control over the shifting, which is a huge advantage over the XJ8.

Sometimes I miss my XJ8--it is nice to treat your passengers to the ultimate (or close to it) in British class and luxury.
I am of similar Jag background. XJ8 is just a boat. The width of the car was harder to handle than the length. Either car (XJ or XK) is a babe magnet.

You'll immediately feel comfortable in the XK. The controls and such are basically the same. When I drive a BMW or something, I feel like never drove a car before. So many buttons and crap I have no idea what to do. I am not pensioner either!

Get an XK and you'll be in heaven. It's a different car though. I have the grace of the XJ, but it's a real GT. Better visibility up front. XJ has some serious blind spots on the A pillars; not the XK. Quicker to wash, much quicker to detail.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member

The biggest eye-opener about driving around town in an XJ8 is you realize that everyone else who drives an XJ (at least the "classic"-styled models) is 70+ years old.

The XK is not as bad in that regard, but it is still probably a 50+ car!

Old 01-27-2014, 08:40 PM
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
Smile 50+ plus car?

I dont think the majority of xkr owners r 50 years old. That is just another urban myth about Jag owners

Last edited by SoCal Babe; 01-27-2014 at 08:42 PM. Reason: my signature pic didnt sho up
Old 01-27-2014, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Couple other changes in the engine area as well. Variable Camshaft Positioning (VCP) on the intake valves went from 2-position, to continuously variable. Also Jag mentions a redesign in of the fuel system including injectors.

Just an FYI

Vince

Old 01-28-2014, 09:26 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

I think the only thing you need to REALLY concern yourself about is this: Can you deal with the much smaller cargo capacity? ;D

Otherwise, the XK is one of the rarest vehicles on the road. And it drives most beautifully. Just took the wife on a weekend getaway to Leavenworth in it.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:24 PM

The biggest eye-opener about driving around town in an XJ8 is you realize that everyone else who drives an XJ (at least the "classic"-styled models) is 70+ years old. The XK is not as bad in that regard, but it is still probably a 50+ car!
Haha well I'm not sure I'm worried about fellow owners age. I bought my xj8 when I was 19 and I thought it was the best car ever. Then again I will say most of my tastes are that of person 70+ years old! Haha!

Old 01-29-2014, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rahtok
I think the only thing you need to REALLY concern yourself about is this: Can you deal with the much smaller cargo capacity? ;D Otherwise, the XK is one of the rarest vehicles on the road. And it drives most beautifully. Just took the wife on a weekend getaway to Leavenworth in it.
Nope the cargo space is more than I'll ever need! The most I ever have in my car is a backpack and a laptop! Haha thanks for the positive input on these cars as well!

Old 01-29-2014, 04:30 PM

Do the xk's have the same air suspension issues as the x350?

Old 01-29-2014, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Nope, the XK family has conventional springs & dampers (though the dampers are electronically controlled, so it's a 'smart' conventional suspension).

Quick Reply: Looking to possibly upgrade....