XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Love the telescopic ariel no but really !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love the telescopic ariel no but really !!

really reminds me of being back in the 80s and I still think it looks cool and now it's retro !

Old 02-24-2017, 11:06 AM
Received 67 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Agree

Sometimes it's nice to be different. The trick is to keep it well lubricated (I use Hirschmann Antenna Wipes) and to remember to shut the radio off when entering the garage and other low clearance areas.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:12 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

I love mine too and it does look cool as far as I am concerned.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:45 PM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm in the architectural field, and we are always talk about the "mod period", the "post-mod", the "pre-war" design... and I hate that.

In anything having to do with art, with music, with films, with the technology you pick to play you favorite tunes, or the object you like to hang from your neck or wall or car... if it's beautiful to you, ignore the other people trying to put an age on it and tell you it's too old or retro. Use that thing, and celebrate it.

I never had the chance to sport a telescoping antenna on my vehicle (only had the rod you pull out and push in by hand). But I too think they are (not were) visually smashing.
Too many of the "shark fin" pitot antennas are awful looking when they're the wrong proportions for the curve of the car. Just atrocious!

Old 02-24-2017, 01:41 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by Boistrous4
really reminds me of being back in the 80s and I still think it looks cool and now it's retro !
Welcome to the forum Boistrous4,

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 02-24-2017, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 316 Posts

i pulled the fuse on mine, doesnt effect anything, forgot its there

Old 02-24-2017, 06:39 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Hated it, got rid of it. Now have the internal spoiler aerial instead.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

different strokes (antenna) for different folks

Old 02-25-2017, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
I love mine too and it does look cool as far as I am concerned.
I also like the aerial - another bit of moving equipment. If the aerial shaft is kept clean and smooth and lubricated, it will last for decades ( I am not responsible for any non-automotive interpretation in this message!) - that is my experience on other Jags. The major cause of aerial failure is corrosion and dirt on the shaft segments; eventually the friction is more than the motor can overcome and the aerial will not retract fully. If that is the case, and if the nylon line that controls extension and retraction is not broken, the aerial can be brought back to life. I've done this on many cars.
The only warranty claim on my car before I bought it in fact was replacement of the aerial unit; barring failure of the aerial motor itself (extremely unlikely since the car was just 2 years old with very low kms), the problem was probably what I have described above. In other words, had the aerial been cleaned and lubricated regularly, replacement would not even have been considered, because it would not have been necessary. In that light, I consider my car to be a zero-warranty claim XK.
I wonder how many of us could say the same? Given the reliability of these cars I am sure I am not alone. During my ownership I have not had a single problem.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:32 PM
Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

i didn't mind the antenna that much, but, I also pulled the fuse after a year or so.