XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lowered and Rubbing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 12:30 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lowered and Rubbing?

I just had H&R 35mm springs and 15mm spacers installed on my 2013 XKR. I changed the springs not as much for looks, but rather to take the "bounce" out of the stock rear XKR springs.

After installing the spacers I immediately heard a very noticeable rubbing noise coming from the drivers rear wheel well. After examining the area I found that the wheel well liner was not fitted properly and was rubbing on the tire. I tried to relocate the liner but it moved the following day.

Today I came up with what appears is finally a permanent solution. If you have any rubbing issues you can correct the problem quite easily.

On the bottom edge of the liner where it meets up with the fender contour there is a return molded into the liner. It is only between .250" and .375" in width. If you remove this lower edge of the liner (utility knife worked very well) it will increase your wheel well clearance. I then applied a light brushing of contact cement to both the inner fender and the liner along the lower .750" or so. The result completely eliminated the rubbing issue.

I know that most who have lowered and added spacers did not experience any rubbing, but if you are lucky like me, its an easy and clean fix.

By the way, the bounce is gone and the car actually now feels more comfortable to me and the handling has improved.

The following 2 users liked this post by PC XKR:
hawaii (09-12-2013), MaximA (12-17-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 01:05 AM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by PC XKR
I just had H&R 35mm springs and 15mm spacers installed on my 2013 XKR. I changed the springs not as much for looks, but rather to take the "bounce" out of the stock rear XKR springs.

After installing the spacers I immediately heard a very noticeable rubbing noise coming from the drivers rear wheel well. After examining the area I found that the wheel well liner was not fitted properly and was rubbing on the tire. I tried to relocate the liner but it moved the following day.

Today I came up with what appears is finally a permanent solution. If you have any rubbing issues you can correct the problem quite easily.

On the bottom edge of the liner where it meets up with the fender contour there is a return molded into the liner. It is only between .250" and .375" in width. If you remove this lower edge of the liner (utility knife worked very well) it will increase your wheel well clearance. I then applied a light brushing of contact cement to both the inner fender and the liner along the lower .750" or so. The result completely eliminated the rubbing issue.

I know that most who have lowered and added spacers did not experience any rubbing, but if you are lucky like me, its an easy and clean fix.

By the way, the bounce is gone and the car actually now feels more comfortable to me and the handling has improved.
Nice tip! Now we can't let you get away without a picture!

Old 09-12-2013, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by hawaii
Nice tip! Now we can't let you get away without a picture!
Thank you, I will post one up this week.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

ive noticed the wheel well liner being rather...not properly installed myself...even on the XKR-S. Had to use my hand and pound it back into place correctly in the rear well in a few places. The screws are there where they need to be but just not pushed in as good as it should. On my G37s there is plastic in the wheelwell but no liner that feels really like carpet like the XK...wonder why they just didnt use high end plastic in the wheelwell?!?!?!?!?

Old 09-12-2013, 02:43 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52
ive noticed the wheel well liner being rather...not properly installed myself...even on the XKR-S. Had to use my hand and pound it back into place correctly in the rear well in a few places. The screws are there where they need to be but just not pushed in as good as it should. On my G37s there is plastic in the wheelwell but no liner that feels really like carpet like the XK...wonder why they just didnt use high end plastic in the wheelwell?!?!?!?!?
Probably used a liner for sound proofing reasons; however, they could have laminated the sound proofing liner to a rigid plastic inner wheel well cover to avoid this apparent problem.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by DGL
Probably used a liner for sound proofing reasons; however, they could have laminated the sound proofing liner to a rigid plastic inner wheel well cover to avoid this apparent problem.
It is actually a rigid inner liner with a carpet-like covering over it. Problem is it is so thin it doesn't seem to hold its shape well.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

You just made my day! I've been driving gingerly all weekend as I thought the fenders may be rubbing.. I cut off .25 inches of the liner on the left side only and all the rubbing is gone unless I make a hard left turn under heavy acceleration. Now the left side still rubs so that confirms the lining. I plan on cleaning it up today with an xacto knife and sealing it with silicone to a quarter panel. Now the car is perfect at this ride height! Thank you PCXKR! Also note there is a larg staple near the center of the wheel arch that must be removed. This staple keeps the front and rear liners together but also make the liner quite a bit thicker at the point it needs to be the thinnest. Once sealed with silicone this is no longer an issue.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

I wonder if this liner issue is specific to 2013 models.

PC XKR- have you noticed any other issues with using the H&R Springs?