Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Managed to mess up my interior lights while going for LED's

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 02:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Managed to mess up my interior lights while going for LED's

Hi,

I am total tool when it comes to fixing cars on my own so I should have known better when I thought about replacing the interior lights with leds as the originals were hurting my eyes a lot.

i ordered the set from precisionled and soon discovered most leds were of incorrect type. After complaining about this, I got sent mostly the correct ones eventhough few are still missing.

The problem is that while trying to replace the vanity mirror bulbs with a led that totally didn't fit in there, something went wrong and the car sort of made a clicking sound which I thought was a burned fuse and after that the interior lights did not come on again.
I looked this up and checked the F12 fuse but seems to be intact, any clue how to troubleshoot this further or do I need to go and take the car to dealer?

http://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix...0710/fuses.pdf

The car is a 2012 XKR-S.

Kr,
Jani

Old 11-13-2015, 02:09 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

First thing to do is make sure battery has a full charge.Learnt from experience.Tommy

Old 11-14-2015, 03:48 AM

I am pretty sure the battery is fine, the car is a daily driver and starts and runs just fine. No error messages on the displays either.

Is there a way to check battery charge though the menus?

Old 11-14-2015, 06:43 AM

Small update: Went through all 3 fuse boxes found in the car and could not find anything wrong. However, when playing around with the trunk lights same thing happened, they are out too. This happened while inserting a standard bulb back to the right hand size, it came on for a while while in a wrong position, I removed it and reinserted it whereafter both sides went out.
Now the only working interior lights are the ones in the doors, I understood they are behind the same fuse as the rest so I am out of ideas what could be causing this. (I believe the trunk lights too and they were working until today)

Old 11-14-2015, 09:59 AM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Try taking the battery terminals off for 10 min then reattach

Originally Posted by Razzel
Small update: Went through all 3 fuse boxes found in the car and could not find anything wrong. However, when playing around with the trunk lights same thing happened, they are out too. This happened while inserting a standard bulb back to the right hand size, it came on for a while while in a wrong position, I removed it and reinserted it whereafter both sides went out.
Now the only working interior lights are the ones in the doors, I understood they are behind the same fuse as the rest so I am out of ideas what could be causing this. (I believe the trunk lights too and they were working until today)

Old 11-14-2015, 11:47 AM

You sure this can be safely done without messing up electronics or airbags or anything like that?

Old 11-14-2015, 06:27 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

I've done it before to reset electrical gremlins with no ill effects other than fixing my glitch

Old 01-31-2016, 11:48 AM

Ok, so time to bump this up again. Gathered all my mental strength, disconnected the battery for 10 mins, installed all the standard bulbs back and yet the same result. No interior lights The funny thing is, I still have leds on the doors and trunk and they work absolutely spotlessly, I guess the dealership is my only chance now?
Checked fuse number F12 4 times and it is still fully intact..

Old 01-31-2016, 12:01 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

When you disconnected the battery did you then touch the negative and positive leads together for 20 secs as this will then reset the modules.Just disconnecting the battery wont to this.
Tommy

Old 02-01-2016, 12:53 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

I am trying to grasp how the interior lights 'hurt' your eyes. Why are they on all the time? The other thing is that LED lights will hurt your eyes even more. As for the fuses go, just because they 'look' good...that does not mean they are good. I would replace the questionable ones with brand new ones.

The following users liked this post:
agentorange (02-10-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 08:49 AM

The hurt part is a question of personal preference, I cannot fathom anything that makes the car look like a 2005 model more than the terrible yellow standard lights.

I am scared of messing up the electronics of the car by the above reset procedure so I will yield and head to jag service for sorting this out.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:34 AM
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a left-front turn signal that's out and now you've scared me from replacing it myself, lol.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:32 AM

Took the car to dealership yesterday and after few hundred dollars the conclusion was embarrassingly simple: Burned fuse and control unit reset did the trick.

It were the vanity mirror leds that had the bad contact and caused it, I'd probably recommend considering twice before replacing them as the construction is rather unique put in a nice way

Old 03-03-2016, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Razzel
Took the car to dealership yesterday and after few hundred dollars the conclusion was embarrassingly simple: Burned fuse and control unit reset did the trick.

It were the vanity mirror leds that had the bad contact and caused it, I'd probably recommend considering twice before replacing them as the construction is rather unique put in a nice way
I swapped the incandescents in the wife's Lexus and everything went fine AND she loves the look.
Going by all the problems you've had, if I ever did it again I'd bench check each LED before installing them. May save some trouble.