Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Market Place Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts
Default Market Place Question

So our baby was rear ended by a pickup whos light tap turned out to cost an estimated $13K! It is now at a Jag approved repair shop and I'm confident it will turn out just like nothing had ever happened.

In the end though, she is getting long in the tooth mileage wise so it is time to move on to a replacement. We've done some minor revisions to her that I suspect would yield nothing at trade in. Specifically the four 20" Senta wheels with Ventus tires (just 2K on them) and the XKR quad pipe back box. Of the vehicles we've reviewed for repacement so far most have 20" wheels and 5L engines so the back box would require modification to fit.

What are your opinions on keeping her stock and offering a couple things up on the forum market place or just trading her as is?

The shop is still waiting for parts so there is plenty of time to choose a direction so it would be good to hear opinions, if there are any.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Since the upgrades won't get you anything on a trade-in, and if you have the stock parts, I'd put the stock parts back on, and get some more $ for the other parts, either in the forum marketplace, or ebay.
I got my backbox via the marketplace and Sentas on ebay.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts
Old 04-16-2017, 09:44 AM
Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Since the upgrades won't get you anything on a trade-in, and if you have the stock parts, I'd put the stock parts back on, and get some more $ for the other parts, either in the forum marketplace, or ebay.
I got my backbox via the marketplace and Sentas on ebay.
Ditto

Old 04-16-2017, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

You paid $13,000 in repairs? Was it insurance or out of pocket, I would have thought insurance would just total the car considering the value vs repair cost.

Seems a bit much to invest $13k in a car worth what, $15k?

Old 04-17-2017, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I wouldn't bother trying to sell anything unless locally via CL...

Old 04-17-2017, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I wouldn't bother trying to sell anything unless locally via CL...
Why not? Trying to sell local will severely limit your audience.
I bought my first Senta on eBay, it was shipped from Texas to Illinois. I then bought a set that was shipped from New Jersey, and then sold the first Senta to a buyer in Texas and shipped it there (that wheel made a round trip back to TX!).

Old 04-17-2017, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Why not?
I am too lazy to box something like wheels up and ship it. Heck, putting the ad up is more effort than I want! When I want to sell something, I mark it down big time and buyers are coming to my to pick it up...

Old 04-17-2017, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

I am just the opposite, CL is a pain in the *** for me, listing and then having to field questions or have lookie-lou's want to come see the item before buying. I have used it to buy stuff effectively so not as obstinate on the subject as most are on this board about most every matter, just not my preference.

I am in the Ebay camp all the way, buying and selling, as it allows for the best price by opening it up to the biggest pool of buyers. No having to deal with the public, just place the ad, see if it sells, then package it up and dump at the UPS store on the way to the gym.

Tires are one of the easiest to ship, if it is a rim and tire I put a piece of cardboard over each side, fold the corners over and tape. You don't have to cover all the area with cardboard, the rubber part can be exposed. I run a ton of tape all over those areas, slap a label on and off it goes. If it is just a tire don't even need that, just tape label on somewhere.

So yes, to the OP, I would sell this stuff on Ebay if possible.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:59 PM
Received 442 Likes on 185 Posts

Why not? Trying to sell local will severely limit your audience.
You all hush! I live in GA and would love some cheap spare wheels!!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by flyc2c:
kj07xk (04-17-2017), ralphwg (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
You paid $13,000 in repairs? Was it insurance or out of pocket, I would have thought insurance would just total the car considering the value vs repair cost.

Seems a bit much to invest $13k in a car worth what, $15k?
Ha ha, insurance....both the shop and I are wondering what State Farm are thinking!? On top of that, the shop called today with bad news, it won't be ready before May 10th at earliest! Sounded like they may have been struggling to get one of the parts.
The whole thing makes me groan though as now the weather is perfect for top down cruising! Can't win for losing it seems.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

At this point I'm thinking of getting the grinder out and poping the top on SF's rental car! But, that still wouldn't make it "Money Penny"..... I miss her so!

Thanks for everyone's input.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member

I would have pushed for the payout! Now you run the chance of the car getting tagged with an accident in carfax and hurting your value.

You need to discuss diminished value with state farm. It is real and achievable, it just requires work. I have never done it but several folks negotiated additional payouts on my previous BMW 6 series board.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Your 2007 XK Vert is not worth very much. Putting $13,000 into the car and maybe even more by the time the repairs are completed, will only bring about $17,000 to $18,000 if our lucky.

The XK is nothing special, vs the XKR.

Don't expect an easy sale, due to the major repairs. I would only sell via eBay good provides great marketing and exposure across the entire country. You need to have good photos of anything you sell and have a through description that is very informative.

The market is thin for these cars especially the 2007 and an XK.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

I've talked with SF trying to understand their criteria for determining when to pull the plug vs repair. They assured me they have a solid formula (though they couldn't articulate it) and were entitled to repair a vehicle up to it's full market value. No doubt they are in the driver's seat on what they are entitled to spend but doesn't make that much sense since they could be in position to gain a few bucks through the process of salvage sale.
I reminded them they will also be picking up the added tab for rental car as well as the dimished value claim (they know I intend to challenge their 17C process there).
One would think someone would pick up on that and say "what are we doing?" but then they probably expect somehow the cost will be less this way.
In the end though, my research indicates the shop doing the work is highly rated so the only impact should be dimished value and anoyance to me. That is the real sticker......kind of missing out on some great top down time right now.
Sucks to be me! lol

Old 04-18-2017, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

I personally have never bought anything on Craig's List. Only one person I know ever has. Truth be told, I've only ever even LOOKED one time and it was so difficult to sort/search/locate anything I quickly gave up.
There are MANY local "SALE" type websites out there that CL has become the MySpace of sales. Heck, even Facebook has THOUSANDS of different Sales sites built right in. All are area-specific. Local newspaper companies, radio and TV places all have their own Classifieds on the Interwebz.
Craig died several years ago.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

I know people that use CL non-stop, I buy stuff that cannot be sent easily as it is fully assembled. My Wife's treadmill I got for a song and it was virtually unused. Same with the $3,000 Trek bike I bought for a quarter the price, found a decent floor installer there. A buddy of mine just bought a boat, found him self a 40' JLG lift to paint his house, an RV, he uses it much more than I do with great success.

Use a search engine provider like SearchTempest, makes life easier.

You got to get with the new generation my man, the younger folks start with CL first.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I personally have never bought anything on Craig's List. Only one person I know ever has. Truth be told, I've only ever even LOOKED one time and it was so difficult to sort/search/locate anything I quickly gave up.
There are MANY local "SALE" type websites out there that CL has become the MySpace of sales. Heck, even Facebook has THOUSANDS of different Sales sites built right in. All are area-specific. Local newspaper companies, radio and TV places all have their own Classifieds on the Interwebz.
Craig died several years ago.
I use Craigslist a lot. It's pretty fertile here in the Dallas metro area. I bought 2 cars, a motorcycle, a few guitars, amps, furniture, dog crates, and other whatnots and sold many similar items including my Mustang GT over the years. Cash deals, no eBay fees. You do need to filter thru the email responses and "learn" which ones are legit. I only respond when inquiries use full sentences and punctuation and usually meet in a parking lot if possible. Sure it's more work but you get what you pay for, and I don't mind.

For more specific items, like car parts, bike parts, etc, I'll use eBay because you need a wider audience for that stuff.

I see XKs and XKRs come and go often on the Dallas CL so someone is buying...

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (04-18-2017)