XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My convertible top won't move. Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My convertible top won't move. Help

I took my 2008 XKR into the body shop and now that I have it back my convertible top won't open nor close. The body shop manager says that the battery died and they had to boost the car to start it. It isn't responding the the switch nor are the rear side windows moving.

Went through the manual reset procedures....no dice!
Took it to the dealer....they can't get it to work either!!

Pulled the 2 40amp fuses and the 30 amp fuse behind the back seat....GOOD.

What am I missing?????

Mike

Old 03-19-2015, 12:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Convertable top stuck

I replaced my battery in my 07 XK. To do this you slide the baggage cover off in the trunk. When you re-install it you must make sure the rear part of the slides are firmly pushed down on the tracks so the sensor knows it's there.
So open the trunk and reseat them, see if that helps.
Jonnyy

Old 03-19-2015, 12:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Convertable Top Stuck #2

Reposting :
BlackX300VDP

Too bad you didn't set the windows before moving the top. The driver and passenger windows need to be initialized after any battery disconnect and before anything else. The procedure is basically, close the doors, start the engine, make sure the windows are all closed. Pull up on the drivers window switch for 10 seconds (should hear a slight click in the door) put the window down, hold down on the drivers window switch for 10 seconds (should hear a slight click in the door). Make sure the window is set by allowing the one touch up to work by pulling up all the way on the switch and releasing. The window should go all up on its own. Repeat for the passenger side.

Now the windows are set you must put the top into the well under the boot lid and put the lid back down. After that, tighten the release valve on the pump, make sure the luggage separator is in place properly, and close the trunk lid.

Get in the car and activate the top. I usually try the open position first and watch the lid tighten down. Then completely close the top until the windows go back up.

Should be all set then. It's a PITA if the sequence isn't done right. I've done it so many times, I'd probably be able to do it asleep.

Keep the battery fresh with a small battery tender. I put them in a few cars.
Thanks to BlackX300VDP!

Old 03-19-2015, 12:42 AM

Thanks Jonnyy. The battery is new. I removed the cargo tray and reinstalled it but it didn't help. It seems like there is no electricity getting to the covertible top switch or back there, because when the cargo cover is down the notification on the dash doesn't popup.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:45 AM

I followed these steps as soon as I got the car back home. The dealer confirmed that I was performing the process correctly, but even they couldn't get it to work!!

Originally Posted by Jonnyy
Reposting :
BlackX300VDP

Too bad you didn't set the windows before moving the top. The driver and passenger windows need to be initialized after any battery disconnect and before anything else. The procedure is basically, close the doors, start the engine, make sure the windows are all closed. Pull up on the drivers window switch for 10 seconds (should hear a slight click in the door) put the window down, hold down on the drivers window switch for 10 seconds (should hear a slight click in the door). Make sure the window is set by allowing the one touch up to work by pulling up all the way on the switch and releasing. The window should go all up on its own. Repeat for the passenger side.

Now the windows are set you must put the top into the well under the boot lid and put the lid back down. After that, tighten the release valve on the pump, make sure the luggage separator is in place properly, and close the trunk lid.

Get in the car and activate the top. I usually try the open position first and watch the lid tighten down. Then completely close the top until the windows go back up.

Should be all set then. It's a PITA if the sequence isn't done right. I've done it so many times, I'd probably be able to do it asleep.

Keep the battery fresh with a small battery tender. I put them in a few cars.
Thanks to BlackX300VDP!

Old 03-19-2015, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

When the shop boosted your battery to start the car, did they use a battery IN a car with the engine running? If so, and if they disconnected the booster cables with that engine running then they may have damaged the electronics.

Quote from the Technical Training manual: "Do not run the booster vehicle's engine while boost-starting a Jaguar vehicle, as *damage to the Jaguar vehicle's electrical system will result * when the jump leads are disconnected". No further information is giving regarding the type of damage. Could this be the problem?

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
Glenn Gardin (03-21-2015), richzak (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 11:19 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

perhaps a very slight possibility they opened the hydrolics valve? what if you take the tool and check the valve on the hydrolics motor? on the right side in the trunk.. look in your manual for manaul roof operation..

perhaps they opened it to get to the battery easier...or isnt the motor not doing anything and are you getting a message on the dash?

Old 03-22-2015, 11:06 AM

No sov211....they use 1 of those hand held units.
But...I can't confirm nor is the manager stating how they boosted the car. I showed them how to apply the electric charge in order to power the power trunk in order to recharge the battery.

The Jaguar dealerships says that their is a control unit in the trunk that controls the operation of the top, but I didn't locate such a unit other than the hydraulic pump.

It just doesn't seem to be any power getting back to the hydraulic pump from the front control switch.

Now that everybody has tried their way to make the top operable again....now the valve in the pump is damage and the pump needs to be rebuilt or replaced!!!

Originally Posted by sov211
When the shop boosted your battery to start the car, did they use a battery IN a car with the engine running? If so, and if they disconnected the booster cables with that engine running then they may have damaged the electronics.

Quote from the Technical Training manual: "Do not run the booster vehicle's engine while boost-starting a Jaguar vehicle, as *damage to the Jaguar vehicle's electrical system will result * when the jump leads are disconnected". No further information is giving regarding the type of damage. Could this be the problem?

Old 03-22-2015, 11:10 AM

Parzival.... I'm not even getting the message on the dash when the cargo cover is opened!! That's why I keep thinking that there is a blown fuse somewhere or there was something disconnected when they boosted off the car!!

The manual didn't come with the car when I purchased it so...I'm having to depend on what I can find on the internet or jaguarforums.com for whatever information that I can get.

Originally Posted by Parzival
perhaps a very slight possibility they opened the hydrolics valve? what if you take the tool and check the valve on the hydrolics motor? on the right side in the trunk.. look in your manual for manaul roof operation..

perhaps they opened it to get to the battery easier...or isnt the motor not doing anything and are you getting a message on the dash?

Old 03-22-2015, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

On the first page of the XK/XKR thread there is a listing of drivers manuals that you can download. I don't 2008s are available there but it is worth a shot. I have downloaded the 2012 manual even though I have one in the car and it does come in handy from time to time. If you can't find one on the forum try ebay or amazon.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:05 PM

Does anyone know where the control module for the roof is located? I don't think that it is getting any power. None of the warning lights on the dash, related to the top attempting to open, lights up either.....

Old 04-03-2015, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by olkar
Does anyone know where the control module for the roof is located? I don't think that it is getting any power. None of the warning lights on the dash, related to the top attempting to open, lights up either.....
The relevant fuses are F8, F30 and F32 between the rear seats...check them first.

The module is behind the left rear seat, and behind the rollover protection device. Directions for access are in the first part of my Remote Top installation Instructions here: http://www.thejagwrangler.com/upload...op_rev_1.8.pdf.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:07 PM

I pulled those 3 fuses and they aren't blown. SOOOOO....I'm stuck of why this top and the rear side windows aren't working!!!

Hennessey Jaguar of Norcross couldn't get the top working again either... They suggested taking the car to a body shop to have the top completely removed from the car and then re-installed. WTH????

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
The relevant fuses are F8, F30 and F32 between the rear seats...check them first.

The module is behind the left rear seat, and behind the rollover protection device. Directions for access are in the first part of my Remote Top installation Instructions here: http://www.thejagwrangler.com/upload...op_rev_1.8.pdf.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:13 PM

What's the possibility of the control unit being bad?

The Tech at the dealership says that there was no communication between the top control module and the main ECM, so he was able to get it to re-establish communication, but the top is still not working!!

Old 04-03-2015, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I pulled those 3 fuses and they aren't blown. SOOOOO....I'm stuck of why this top and the rear side windows aren't working!!!

Hennessey Jaguar of Norcross couldn't get the top working again either... They suggested taking the car to a body shop to have the top completely removed from the car and then re-installed. WTH????
What's the possibility of the control unit being bad?

The Tech at the dealership says that there was no communication between the top control module and the main ECM, so he was able to get it to re-establish communication, but the top is still not working!!
I suggest you find another dealership, speak to the service manager, or call Jaguar customer service. That is absurd advice because the tech or dealer appears to be unable and unwilling to deal with the issue.

It is of course possible that the control unit is bad, but failures of these are very rare.

A while back you said the valve in the pump was damaged...what made you think that and is that not the case now?

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-03-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fluke meter

I suggest u use a fluke meter on the leads going to the conv top power unit and have some one try to activate the switch in the car. If no power I would suggest finding the site of the open circuit

Old 04-04-2015, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

If you don't have another dealer nearby why not call jaguar north America? I have found them to be very helpful

Old 04-05-2015, 02:04 PM

The pump is still damaged, but I want to eliminate all other possibilities before I have the pump rebuilt!

I would think that that the rear windows should still roll down, even if the pump isn't working???

The cat has been a great car...but draws too much unnecessary attention, with other drivers constantly running into it!!!

Time to trade it in and I need it fully functioning to do that.

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
I suggest you find another dealership, speak to the service manager, or call Jaguar customer service. That is absurd advice because the tech or dealer appears to be unable and unwilling to deal with the issue.

It is of course possible that the control unit is bad, but failures of these are very rare.

A while back you said the valve in the pump was damaged...what made you think that and is that not the case now?

Old 04-05-2015, 02:10 PM

I still think that 1 of the boys at the bodyshop closed the roof while the car was moving and that is what caused the top to become inoperable!

Of course, I can't prove that is what happened and I didn't show the manager that the top was working when I dropped it off, so...therefore I can't prove that it was working originally...

Old 04-12-2015, 01:53 PM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

any update?

Quick Reply: My convertible top won't move. Help