Sponsored by: DashLynx

a neat mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts
Default a neat mod

Hey Folks,
Leave it to a non-jag car guy type to come up with this.....
I was extolling the positive virtues of my Jag to a long time friend. I mentioned the remote drop top feature, I'm going to install at some point.
His question:
Wouldn't it be nice, if the top is down, there was a feature when it was beginning to sprinkle, a sensor would activate the top to close. In the event, I was not aware of the impending
Hmm? "Wouldn't that be nice"?

I know there are features like this that enable the wipers when it begins to rain, just not sure of how complicated it is.
Happy Trails....

Old 08-13-2015, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

It is theoretically possible to add this as a feature to the Remote Top module, but two things are stopping me:

1. Top operation is factory limited to 15 mph. I am planning to offer an upgrade to increase this a bit, but no more than to 25 or 30 mph. Beyond that, the top mechanism is likely to be damaged from the wind.

2. If the top is automatically activated, there is no one 'in control'. This is a safety hazard for kids and pets. The remote top has a stop feature activated by pressing the button again for safety.

Remember, though, even the current remote top that you purchased has a 'one touch' feature.

Just a 1 second flick of the roof console button will close the top when it is raining. No need to keep your finger in the air! You will need to slow down to 15 mph, but you can hit the button even as you are slowing down, as as soon as you reach 15 mph (as long as it is within just a few seconds) the top will start closing automatically (an undocumented feature!).

Old 08-13-2015, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member

OK. So, I didn't know I could depress the top-up side twice then drop my arm. Is this correct. How about top-down?
Thanks, the other stuff all makes sense. I guess, it's a "gee-whizz" thing...
Happy Motoring....

Old 08-13-2015, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRider48
OK. So, I didn't know I could depress the top-up side twice then drop my arm. Is this correct. How about top-down?
Thanks, the other stuff all makes sense. I guess, it's a "gee-whizz" thing...
Happy Motoring....
Yes, the 'one-touch' feature on the roof console works for both top up and top down.

Another feature: You can also raise the top when you exit the car by pressing the lock button on the door handle 3 times fast in a row.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,142 Likes on 3,384 Posts

...So, I didn't know I could depress the top-up side twice then drop my arm. Is this correct. How about top-down?....
Not twice. With White XKR's remote top kit installed, simply push the switch in the overhead console once, either to lower or raise the top, and let go. You don't have to keep the switch depressed to complete the operation.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Today, on the Ventura (US 101) in the San Fernando Valley the temp hit 104 F. Traffic had slowed to a crawl. So I used the one touch feature and closed the top while in the left lane of the 101 going at a speed of about 12-13 mph. Voila!! saved from getting fried by The Jag Wrangler remote top device!!

Old 08-13-2015, 07:38 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

About the rain sensing....

I often wondered about the roof closing automatically while the car was parked up, should it start raining. I'm sure a few interiors have been soaked over the years, by someone leaving the roof down and a sudden rainshower comes in.

The sensor is already there on the windscreen to make it work, but I guess it'd be a safety issue as well though.

EDIT

I should say that it happened to me with the sunroof in the XJR a couple of times. Stinking hot day so I left the roof raised and the windows slightly down, to let air circulate through the car when it was parked outside. Sudden summer thunderstorm comes in and i'm running out to the carpark trying to get close enough to the car to close everything with the global close on the remote.

Last edited by Cambo; 08-13-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member

Well, my initial thinking was not so much when traveling as I would simply pull over and raise the top. I was thinking more, in terms of it being parked and me inside somewhere (shopping, restaurant) etc.
I do think the "one touch" is a cool feature that should have been included at the factory.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Wouldn't it be nice, if the top is down, there was a feature when it was beginning to sprinkle, a sensor would activate the top to close. In the event, I was not aware of the impending
Hmm? "Wouldn't that be nice"?

I know there are features like this that enable the wipers when it begins to rain, just not sure of how complicated it is.
Happy Trails....
I've thought of this quite a few times in the past year, but figured that tying it into the rain sensors for the wipers would necessitate keeping the rain sensor activated continually, which would be ANOTHER battery drain.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
About the rain sensing....

I often wondered about the roof closing automatically while the car was parked up, should it start raining. I'm sure a few interiors have been soaked over the years, by someone leaving the roof down and a sudden rainshower comes in.

The sensor is already there on the windscreen to make it work, but I guess it'd be a safety issue as well though.

EDIT

I should say that it happened to me with the sunroof in the XJR a couple of times. Stinking hot day so I left the roof raised and the windows slightly down, to let air circulate through the car when it was parked outside. Sudden summer thunderstorm comes in and i'm running out to the carpark trying to get close enough to the car to close everything with the global close on the remote.
I think I mentioned it but I'll bring it up again. A few years back I attended a vintage car race at LimeRock Park raceway in Ct. It was a bright sunny labor day weekend and having a vintage Ferrari I was parked in the Italian car corral. Parked next to me was a new 360 Spider with it's top down. Usually everyone goes down to the paddock to look at the vintage race cars. So after a few hours suddenly came in some rain clouds. Well it poured hard for about 20 to 30 minutes. After it stopped I made my way back to the parking area and there was the 360 fully open and maybe an inch of water above the carpets. That would have been a good time for either rain sensing top closer or even a smart phone app top closer. By the way later the guy was bailing out the water with a coffee cup and paper towels. It did start though but I noticed some of the gauges were fogged .

Old 08-14-2015, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member

Why would anyone ever leave their convertible parked outside unattended with the top down? Why invite trouble?

I always put the top up and use my reflective sunshade to protect the leather dash, even if I'm nearby and will be gone for just a few minutes. Plus, it's really cool to drop the top from 20 feet away and watch other people's reactions.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Why would anyone ever leave their convertible parked outside unattended with the top down? Why invite trouble?

I always put the top up and use my reflective sunshade to protect the leather dash, even if I'm nearby and will be gone for just a few minutes. Plus, it's really cool to drop the top from 20 feet away and watch other people's reactions.
Stuart I hear you and I don't leave the top down unless I can see the car. On this day the sky was clear and blue with mild wind. The storm blew through in a flash and after the rain stopped it went back to blue. Steam was coming off of the cars . I think he learned not to do that again.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S

Perhaps, at a "Car 'n Coffee" event? I too, use the sunshade when necessary. But there are times when it isn't practical.
Yeah, I think that 20 footer would be a hoot! Especially, if you caught them peering inside for a "lookie".

Old 08-14-2015, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member

Oh, just think of the panic with the old verts (like my Mustang), wherein, the rear window has to be zippered. To do this, the top is only partially up and you need to craw into the rear seat all the while it's sprinkling/raining......been there done that!
I'm seeking a kinder, gentler, less stressful way of doing this in my 67th year...
Happy Motoring this coming weekend.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member

Perhaps, at a "Car 'n Coffee" event? I too, use the sunshade when necesssary. But there are times when it isn't practical.
Yeah, I think that 20 footer would be a hoot! Especially, if you caught them peering inside for a "lookie".
Note that I qualified my comment with "unattended". I agree that I'd leave the top down at a car show, but I'd be there and my car wouldn't be unattended. Great idea to surprise a looker with the remote top.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I have a folding covercraft sunshield for every car and only use when the car is parked for couple of hours or more. Going to the market, I am not putting up the shade.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I'm always amazed at how much cooler the cabin is when using one. we use them, religiously, in both the Jag and the Venza.