XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 10:13 PM
ud
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Need Advice

Several threads ago, I displayed an exhaust system that I made myself. If you look aT THE first set of pics u can see a Hyabusa (sp) baffle tht is perforated with an O.D. of 2.5". This is increased from the standard diameter of the stock 13 xkr pipe. The intent was to get greater midrange and hi-end which it did. However, I lost a lot of low end. The baffle was used to provide greater restiction thus giving more back pressure and turbulance. We cut the dual connector prior to the bifurcation and welded the baffle in backwards. It you look at the installed baffle you will be able to see that I had to cut off the head to get the baffle in the pipe and then welded it tight. The baffle had a smallest diam of 1.5/8 ". This was done to the pipes on both sides. My questionis: Will I experience appreciably higher back pressure and any reduction in noise from the addition of the baffles. There are no mufflers on this set-up. After I made this system , I decided to see if I could duplicate the sound of an aventador or california system. I got an extra pair of bifurcated duals that were 2.5". My question is: if I put a baffle that is cork-screw, or auger shaped into the pipe prior to the bifurcation, will I be able to get the same "scream" out of the dual exhaust as the Lambo or Ferrari? Word around the camp fire is that both of those manufacturers use a cork-screw, auger, or catepillar system in the pipes My second question on this is: Does the cork -screw completly fill the tube diameter or is there a space between the vanes of the cork-screw and the inner wall of the exhaust tube. Any technical help, whether from a mechanical or autopmotive engineer or someone who is more versed than I am, would b greatly appreciated. If you cant reply in English, feel free to write back in Russian, Polish or German. If none of those 3 work please let me know, and I will find the person who speaks whatever. (This post was also place on several engineering forums) Thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails Need Advice-pic-2.jpg   Need Advice-img_6793.jpg   Need Advice-img_6436.jpg   Need Advice-dscn1406.jpg   Need Advice-dscn1411.jpg  

Need Advice-dscn1414.jpg   Need Advice-dscn1417.jpg  
Old 02-12-2014, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Are you going to a "Lou's Custom Exhaust" kind of place or doing this yourself? I'd pose this same question on a Ferrari forum and see what they say.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

You will not get the same sound Ferrari or the Lambo due to the difference in engine design. The Ferrari has a flat crank V8 and has the ability to rev in the 8-10K range which is instrumental in producing the noise you are looking for. The Jag engine design will be sound competitive to the US built V8's . Also the firing order contributes to the difference in sound. Others will chime in here but my guess is you can not duplicate the Fer/Lambo exhaust note . The Jag sounds great so just try to improve on it's unique sound. My 2 cents

The following 2 users liked this post by jagtoes:
GritsNCornbread (02-14-2014), SoCal Babe (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 01:07 PM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

I too would like a more European sound. I've removed my muffler totally (saving 30lbs) and have stock cats running to a single resonator (mixed there)then dual pipes straight out the back. Mine sounds more Nascar. I've had car nuts tell me they really like the sound.
Love to hear how yours turns out! Keep up the good work.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Jag engine is going to sound more like a Mustang V8 than Ferrari V8 and I am not knocking the Ford.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:35 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

I think a lot of people would love to have the sound of a high reving Ferrari coming from there rear end. I would certainly like to see you achieve your goal, but I think the engine is not designed to produce the sound. On the other hand, I think Jaguar did a fair job in getting the best sound out of the 5L SC.

This will be interesting to see your final result. Keep us updated. Did you get your ECU reflashed?

Old 02-12-2014, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I've had some fun exhaust cars in my time starting with the TR3A typical 4 cyl. noise. Then the Daimler SP250 (Dart) that used to BLAT going through 2500 rpm. The Corvette's were the mix of soild lifters with the rumble of the glass pack side exhausts. The XKE was a smooth refined exhaust note as was the V12 in the XJS. Then there was the little 308 Ferrari that had a unique WAIL when you went through 7000rpm. But if you really want to hear that scream then you should go to a Ferrari Challenge Cup event and you cannot believe the HOWL sounds. Now based on the different youtube reviews of the XKR and XKR-S the sounds of the OEM and the active exhaust are great. I am looking forward to it but don't want to have the drone sound on a 4 hour trip. I believe the OEM XKR pipes would fit my needs.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Just a question - what does the Hayabusa-based straight-pipe solution sound like? Classic V8 muscle-car, NASCAR, or something else?

Old 02-12-2014, 06:38 PM
ud
Default Hyabusa

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Just a question - what does the Hayabusa-based straight-pipe solution sound like? Classic V8 muscle-car, NASCAR, or something else?
The hyabusa screams at 5000rpm. But these were out of a 220mph Hyabusa bike and they just happened to be the baffles that fit the 2.5 " pipes on my 13 xkr I havent fired it up yet

Last edited by SoCal Babe; 02-12-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:43 PM
ud
Default Reflash on hold

Originally Posted by DGL
I think a lot of people would love to have the sound of a high reving Ferrari coming from there rear end. I would certainly like to see you achieve your goal, but I think the engine is not designed to produce the sound. On the other hand, I think Jaguar did a fair job in getting the best sound out of the 5L SC.

This will be interesting to see your final result. Keep us updated. Did you get your ECU reflashed?
I didnt do the reflash yet. The company that was to sell me the reusable refalsh is having problems with the unit. I only found this out after I acted "stupid" on the phone and the marketer told me he was having enough problems with complaints comming in with out having to deal with a girl racer that would do nothing but "bitch and scream" about the products current problems. Acting stupid sometimes brings out the best i others or at least the truth!! ( Iwill respond to ur pm u sent me shortly Sorry for the delay

Old 02-12-2014, 06:45 PM
ud
Default Sound

Originally Posted by jagtoes
You will not get the same sound Ferrari or the Lambo due to the difference in engine design. The Ferrari has a flat crank V8 and has the ability to rev in the 8-10K range which is instrumental in producing the noise you are looking for. The Jag engine design will be sound competitive to the US built V8's . Also the firing order contributes to the difference in sound. Others will chime in here but my guess is you can not duplicate the Fer/Lambo exhaust note . The Jag sounds great so just try to improve on it's unique sound. My 2 cents
Thank you so much for the guidance from a Ferrari owner. I may stop my quest at what I have already installed, and not wast any more time

Old 02-12-2014, 07:36 PM
ud
Default Tyrones's

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Are you going to a "Lou's Custom Exhaust" kind of place or doing this yourself? I'd pose this same question on a Ferrari forum and see what they say.
Lou's was closed. So I went up to Watts to Tyrones's and Woodrows Chop shop and Cell store. Tyrone did the cuttin, whle woodrow did the welding. Tyrone's wife LaTwatna cooked us some hog maws, pig snouts and homemade corn bread (not out of the Jiff box). After all the work was done we all sat around the hookah pipe and smoked weed. No one answered on the Ferrari forum yet

The following 4 users liked this post by SoCal Babe:
jahummer (02-13-2014), mosesbotbol (02-14-2014), Ngarara (02-13-2014), sklimii (02-12-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member

There's another thing about Fezza and Lambo V8s that may well contribute to their sound - being (mostly) mid-engined, they have much shorter exhaust tracts. That presumably has a significant effect on resonant frequencies; short pipes = higher sounds.

The following users liked this post:
SoCal Babe (02-14-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

Also keep in mind most of those cars have small stroke, large bore cylinders which is an oversquare bore/stroke ratio, as well as a small displacement per cylinder and very high compression, so that they can easily rev to 9k+ RPM. Our bore to stroke ratio is almost perfectly square 1:1, engines of this bore stroke ratio tend to have a lower end sound then the one that is over square. We also have a high overall and per cylinder displacement.

Undersquare would be most of your american sports cars such as the Corvettes, Camaros etc. although I'm not sure of the newer models. These cars also have higher per cylinder displacement which seems to make a huge difference in sound.

Now mentioning cars sounding to "Nascar", their engines are over square just like the Italians but have a higher per cylinder displacement. A NASCAR engine is 358 ci while a 458 F car is gasp 270ci, I think you can see the difference in per cylinder displacement.

The reason I use per cylinder and not total displacement is that overall displacement does not explain the same high pitch sound from a Lamborghini.

SoCal Babe (02-14-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal Babe
If you cant reply in English, feel free to write back in Russian, Polish or German. If none of those 3 work please let me know, and I will find the person who speaks whatever. (This post was also place on several engineering forums) Thanks in advance
Oto świetny artykuł, który może odpowiedzieć na wiele pytań na poradę będziesz szukać.

Poświęć kilka minut na przeczytanie. To technika artykule, że jestem pewien, że będziesz zadowolony.

Systemy wlotowy i wylotowy - Tech - Sport Compact Car Magazine

Dla tych, którzy nie mówią językiem .......

Intake & Exhaust Systems - Tech - Sport Compact Car Magazine

Last edited by richzak; 02-13-2014 at 09:23 AM.
SoCal Babe (02-13-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 09:50 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Richard, if "tych, którzy" means what I think it means, you be in some serious szukać.

richzak (02-13-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 09:54 AM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Typically companies spend countless hours of engineering that goes into these legit high end performance exhausts, both in order to achieve optimal performance and to tune the acoustics to sound as they do. I would be very interested in hearing a video once you get this system installed. I've always been tempted to piece together my own exhaust versus forking out 3-4k, but with such a highly engineered vehicle it has always just seemed like a shot in the dark to do it and have it come out correctly.

Good luck and please post sound clips when done!

Old 02-13-2014, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

Actually, thinking about it, the Performance Active Exhaust (standard on the XKR-S) is close to a straight-through sound when the car is over 4000 RPM (or fuse 19 is pulled). It has no front muffler or centre mufflers, and when the active valves are open to bypass the rear box, the exhaust gas has a pretty obstruction-free path from the cats to the ports.

So, the 'base' sound you're starting with is going to be similar to an R-S. The main difference with your system is the increased diameter; not sure what effect that will have on the tone, but a pure guess would be: it would be deeper rather than the higher note you're after.

Sorry, I guess all this discussion isn't giving you the answers you need, but in the absence of an expert contribution, it's hopefully better than nothing…

Old 02-13-2014, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MaximA
The reason I use per cylinder and not total displacement is that overall displacement does not explain the same high pitch sound from a Lamborghini.
Well, the Lambos that most of us are familiar with are all V10 or V12, which sound different to a V8 anyway. The Jalpa was the last V8 ('81-'88).

Ahhh, the scream that a Jag V12 with race pipes makes.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:39 PM
ud
Default Thank you

Originally Posted by richzak
Oto świetny artykuł, który może odpowiedzieć na wiele pytań na poradę będziesz szukać.

Poświęć kilka minut na przeczytanie. To technika artykule, że jestem pewien, że będziesz zadowolony.

Systemy wlotowy i wylotowy - Tech - Sport Compact Car Magazine

Dla tych, którzy nie mówią językiem .......

Intake & Exhaust Systems - Tech - Sport Compact Car Magazine
Thanks so much for giving me the instructions to spend a few minutes reading this article and that I will be satisfied by its info and that it will answer all my questions on what to do. Thank once again!!!!

Quick Reply: Need Advice