XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need new phone urgently. Chances of samsung galaxy s 7 edge pairing???????

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 06:12 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Need new phone urgently. Chances of samsung galaxy s 7 edge pairing???????

Hi Everyone.
This post relates to my 2013 XK.
Have been preparing to get a new mobile phone in the near future and made a few posts re: compatability in the last few months.
It all went belly up yesterday when my Windows Nokia 635 went into permanent flight mode and continues to do so even having reflashed several times so I expect a hardware fault somewhere. For now I have no working modern mobile.
Thus, matters are now more urgent than my post a couple of days ago to which Corgi replied so helpfully.
I think we have established an iPhone 7 running ios 10 will respond to Hey Siri whether charging or not if set up correctly and run Skygo.
IS IT SAFE TO ASSUME A 7 PLUS WILL ACT THE SAME?
In the cellphone shop today the assistant demonstrated an S7 Edge responding to OK Google and voice dialling when not charging. Would still prefer an Android and know the Bluetooth setup makes them a bit less reliable pairing. Not really worried about contacts and last callers not showing properly. So, does anyone know the chances of an S7 Edge pairing with the XK?
Whatever I get will probably not pair in my X type!! Then there is the issue of copying sim details from micro to nano sim providing I can assemble the necessary adapters or get a decent sim reader/writer.
Have resolved to hold off until Monday and hope for more guidance from this forum.
Thanks for your assistance.
Mike.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I have an S7 Edge that pairs up with my 2010 XKR. I wish it didn't, then it would give me a good excuse to get rid of the pitiful p.o.s. phone.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by tberg
I have an S7 Edge that pairs up with my 2010 XKR. I wish it didn't, then it would give me a good excuse to get rid of the pitiful p.o.s. phone.

Well, thanks anyway, at least I know!

Best wishes,

Mike.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,155 Likes on 3,088 Posts

My wife has both an S6 Edge+ and an S7 Edge. She absolutely LOVES both phones, but I can always chuckle at her because the battery life isn't up to my Pixel XL, which I can go two full days without a recharge if I don't use it a ton.
Caveat..... she REALLY wants a NOTE 8 because she adored the NOTE 7 she had and was REALLY PISSED that she couldn't keep it.
All of hers work flawlessly with my 2010 XKR.
cRapple......... meh. Still made for teeny-boppers to "be cool".

Old 06-03-2017, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Hey Cee Jay,
My wife has an S6, as well, and claims she loves it. Of course, by noon, each day, its battery has died and she can't be reached, it drives me crazy, and I don't even have to use it. I find that every Samsung phone I've ever had breaks down and has gremlins that make Jaguar electronics look good. Of course, when I tried an LG4 (when they first came out) just to get away from my horrible Samsung S3, I had to replace (under warranty) the LG4 five times in ten months before I told Verizon that I wouldn't take another one again. I hate all cellphones because they're all designed to be and do everything except function as a telephone. Hate 'em all!

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (06-03-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Just Curious Mike. Did you consider having the sales rep pair the phone?

Old 06-03-2017, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I tend to line up with Tberg, went through 4 Iphone 4s (all under warranty). Galaxy 6 edge pairs up well with XKs but has a p--- poor battery life and gets very warm in pockets. Also too complicated and has a bunch of samsung apps that are undeletable.

tberg (06-03-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
......... Galaxy 6 edge pairs up well with XKs but has a p--- poor battery life and gets very warm in pockets. Also too complicated and has a bunch of Samsung apps that are undeletable.
It's okay, you can say -iss...
The bloatware is one reason I bought my Pixel XL, and NOT from Verizon.
I have Android in its purest form, plus I get every update in like two days max.
You can disable (not delete) many of the Samsung Apps (and carrier apps as well) and make the shortcuts go away.

ralphwg (06-04-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 04:39 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I have an S7 that paired easily with my 07 XK and it usually has 50% battery life left at days end. For those that have battery life issues, look at what's running. There are lots of tools to kill unneeded apps that eat up battery life.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

I have an iPhone 6 Plus that works perfectly with my 07 XKR and the battery usually lasts around a week and that is with wifi permanently on plus bluetooth talking to my Fitbit plus streaming Spotify whenever I am in my car.

There is still 98% battery left and it was last charged 17 hours ago!

Old 06-03-2017, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

My HTC M9 lasted three months on one charge, using it constantly. Playing videos, talking on the phone, music and games. I only charged it every three months to keep it from going below 30%.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 06-03-2017 at 06:11 PM. Reason: u102768 exaggerates a LOT
Old 06-03-2017, 07:07 PM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
My HTC M9 lasted three months on one charge, using it constantly. Playing videos, talking on the phone, music and games. I only charged it every three months to keep it from going below 30%.
Another vote for the HTC Mate9 being good. Pairs with my 2010 XKR, is well used, yet still lasts a couple of days between charges.
Also jump-starts cars, aeroplanes and recharges iphones in its spare time..

Cee Jay (06-03-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 07:43 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Sam Galaxy S8+

with my 2010 XK, my Sam Galaxy S8+ will pair.
My last phone was a Note 3; the S8+ behaves the same.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

My HTC M9 lasted three months on one charge...
As you seem to think I "exaggerate a lot" here is a screen shot of the current state of my phone although it has dropped a whole 1% since I last posted. The phone used to last up to the 10 days standby which is what they are rated at but the battery life has reduced a little now that it is 2.5 years old.

My daughter has gone back to an iPhone because she was fed up with the hopeless battery life of her old Samsung. My son nearly did as well but as he couldn't afford one he wanted and he is also a nerd he has gone for the OnePlus 3T.

Attached Thumbnails Need new phone urgently. Chances of samsung galaxy s 7 edge pairing???????-img_4651.jpg  
Old 06-03-2017, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member

Lots of partial charges in there......

Old 06-04-2017, 01:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default s8 battery life, poor reception, easy to break

Mike, there is another problem you may want to consider. the s7 and s8 have similar antennas. The s5 had a better antenna. [according to advanced verizon tech, who said the emphasis is on fancy, not on reception] I just bought an s8, to replace my s5. immediately i had reception problems. could not maintain a phonecall in areas that had been fine with my s5. [using verizon with both phones]. 90 minutes with samsung. 2hours + with verizon, and then told to send it in. i just went back to store and got another new one. second s8 results not in yet, as i have not traveled to the poor reception areas again.

However, i have now compared the db signal strength [not the bars], which is found in the settings. under 'about phone'

the higher negative number is = the worse signal strength. [example -110db is worse than -100db] compared the second s8 with my s5, and s5 each time is a little better.

Regarding battery life, i would suggest turning off wifi, otherwise a phone is continually trying to find a wife signal, and using up considerable battery life.

I definitely like the features of the s8 over the s5. however, i would return it and get a different phone, if i know what to get. there is not a good alternative that i know of [i use a pc and therefore did not consider the iphone.

i will also add that the s8 [i imagine the s7, if you get the 'edge version is the same] tests terribly in drop tests. you can google and see some. i think squaretrade [phone insurance company] said it was the worst they tested for breakage when dropped.

Last edited by looking; 06-04-2017 at 02:11 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:53 AM

It's okay, you can say -iss...
The bloatware is one reason I bought my Pixel XL, and NOT from Verizon.
I have Android in its purest form, plus I get every update in like two days max.
You can disable (not delete) many of the Samsung Apps (and carrier apps as well) and make the shortcuts go away.

I was looking at the Pixel XL.

Does it pair and work well in your XK?

Mike.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sean W
Just Curious Mike. Did you consider having the sales rep pair the phone?

The car salesman paired my Window Lumia 635 now stuck in flight mode.

Mike.

Sean W (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by looking
Mike, there is another problem you may want to consider. the s7 and s8 have similar antennas. The s5 had a better antenna. [according to advanced verizon tech, who said the emphasis is on fancy, not on reception] I just bought an s8, to replace my s5. immediately i had reception problems. could not maintain a phonecall in areas that had been fine with my s5. [using verizon with both phones]. 90 minutes with samsung. 2hours + with verizon, and then told to send it in. i just went back to store and got another new one. second s8 results not in yet, as i have not traveled to the poor reception areas again.

However, i have now compared the db signal strength [not the bars], which is found in the settings. under 'about phone'

the higher negative number is = the worse signal strength. [example -110db is worse than -100db] compared the second s8 with my s5, and s5 each time is a little better.

Regarding battery life, i would suggest turning off wifi, otherwise a phone is continually trying to find a wife signal, and using up considerable battery life.

I definitely like the features of the s8 over the s5. however, i would return it and get a different phone, if i know what to get. there is not a good alternative that i know of [i use a pc and therefore did not consider the iphone.

i will also add that the s8 [i imagine the s7, if you get the 'edge version is the same] tests terribly in drop tests. you can google and see some. i think squaretrade [phone insurance company] said it was the worst they tested for breakage when dropped.

I use pc mostly too.
Your comments about antenna and battery life are useful. Whilst I would prefer Android it seems the iPhone 7 plus has some advantages in that pairing is more reliable, it will plug into the iPhone socket using an adaptor and also read texts. I do not like the price!!

Mike.

Last edited by mikefarnham; 06-04-2017 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mikefarnham
I was looking at the Pixel XL.

Does it pair and work well in your XK?

Mike.
Absolutely flawlessly.