XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New 2012 XK - longish post

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 11:08 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New 2012 XK - longish post

I have already said hello in the new member's section a few weeks ago before I acquired this car, but did not want to post further until I actually purchased and had proof in pictures, because I know you all will demand them. 2012 XX, 75K, all service dealer records since new, purchased from original owner. Shipped up the coast to the SF Bay area after two flights to So Cal to inspect the car. I did not want a 'vert, and wanted a grey exterior, but after six months of searching, this car spoke to me. This week, I swapped out the 19" chrome wheels for a set of 18" wheels and new Conti Sports - dealer takeoffs from a 2018 F- type, because the chrome was flaking and the SF Bay area is no country for rubber - band tires . Cost:$900, delivered to my door. Currently waiting for the clips to mount the wheel arch spats because I am only "maybe legal" in California. Replaced the chrome front/side "vent" surrounds, as one was missing, with black, which was a frustrating "clip in" process. Installed a cheap after market DTC gauge to monitor coolant temps, which hit 226 heading up a rather steep mountain road out of the Napa valley in 100F+ ambient temps , but I had a 250 lb passenger on board. Usually, in my mild climate, I run 196 - 206. Like I said, I did not want a ragtop, after owing three, but in this car I find myself losing the top for every ten minute trip for beer. Today, I drove down the coast for no reason other than to drive - something no other car has ever inspired, and I have owned a few interesting vehicles ( e.g two Austin Healys and two XJ-Ss ). Of course, I have a fair amount of work to do - fluids and filters need replacing, etc.
Now that you are all bored, here's my question. Since the car was delivered, I notice a low drone, maybe about 120 hz, with a light vibration though the steering wheel.when stopped at idle, On other cars, I would diagnose this a power steering pump on the way out. Fluid level is fine. I also noticed today a judder in the steering when approaching a full lock, particularly in reverse. I do not ever turn the wheel when stopped as I was raised right. I will locate and listen to the pump next weekend, but anticipating the worst, here's the question: is there a Land Rover or Ford Lincoln/T - Bird substitute anyone has tried ? I know the LR part won't be cheaper, but I have a big credit at one of the parts suppliers. Thanks. Oh- the picture -

The following 2 users liked this post by Wild Bob:
BlkC4t_XK14 (07-10-2018), TexasTraveler (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 09:34 AM
Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

My steering does the juddering from time to time. I think it is a normal thing for these cars. Mine does not make a noise or a vibration when simply stopped however.

Welcome to the forum. Nice car!

Old 07-10-2018, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

I find the wheel choice very interesting as it works well. Did you have to use wheel spacers to make them work?

I've never experienced the judder or the sound either. I would susspect the pump too since it happens at full lock too. Perhaps a forum member who has torn one of these beast down can indicate if Ford has some interchangeability for the pump or try a cross reference at say Rock Auto.

Welcome to the club.....great looking ride!

Old 07-10-2018, 11:22 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pwpacp
I find the wheel choice very interesting as it works well. Did you have to use wheel spacers to make them work?

I've never experienced the judder or the sound either. I would susspect the pump too since it happens at full lock too. Perhaps a forum member who has torn one of these beast down can indicate if Ford has some interchangeability for the pump or try a cross reference at say Rock Auto.

Welcome to the club.....great looking ride!
Thanks- no wheel spacers, the fronts are the same as the XK stock offset and these particular F-Type rears are 27, pushing them out 19mm. Caveat for those that would try this - I found the F- types used different offsets between various years/sub models. Mine are off a 2018.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

The "juddering" is a well known issue that many of us have had. In the past I have had power steering fluid flushed and found it helped at least temporarily. I'm having it done right now with some other maintenance work. Enjoy your new ride and where are the pictures?

Old 07-10-2018, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Congrats and welcome.

Yea, sometimes at low RPMs. turning the wheel, like when reversing out of a parking spot, will judder my steering wheel for a moment. I don't think it's a problem, but a constant drone without turning the wheel might be.

Keep us posted!

Old 07-10-2018, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by shemp
Congrats and welcome.

Yea, sometimes at low RPMs. turning the wheel, like when reversing out of a parking spot, will judder my steering wheel for a moment. I don't think it's a problem, but a constant drone without turning the wheel might be.

Keep us posted!
I thought that problem related to the Diff Fluid and a need to be changed. Others have ha some success with a complete PS fluid change.