XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

getting ready for first longish trip - checklist?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 11:23 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default getting ready for first longish trip - checklist?

So, if the hurricane/storm doesn't come up the coast and the weather forecast isn't bad, I'm considering taking my girl on her first longish trip - up to NJ to see my family.

I've conferred with my mechanic who gave it his, well, blessing may be strong, but semi-approval maybe, saying "why not? You have towing, right?" *sigh*

So, here's my checklist to prepare so far - anything I'm missing?

* Changed AAA membership to 200 mile towing limit.
* Put mechanic's card with new address and number in car.
* Checked for fire extinguisher & clear duct tape.
* Will check all fluids & tire pressure.
* Cell phone will be charged; Bluetooth speaker will be ready; car charger is available.
* I'll get cash for emergency payments.

Oh, does anyone have a good Jag mechanic in central NJ - near New Brunswick (South Plainfield/Piscataway area to be exact)? I'll add in that number if so. What else? Anything I should bring with me?

I'd hoped to have all the windows down, but the motor I thought I had went missing before they could ship it to me, so I'm still looking for one. But that's fairly minor - she looks good even with the windows up.

I'm hoping it will be OK, but just in case, I want to be a good scout about it :-). Thanks! - Gina

Old 10-05-2013, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 375 Posts

Hi, I'm on a trip from Halifax NS down to Orlando FL with my '92 V12.

Apart from the problems already listed here,

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...fax-ns-103661/

all is going well and l'm enjoying the trip. Leaving SC today.

And all of the problems were existing problems (sort of, apart from the other window ) its been a good run, returning about 22 UK MPG ( why you Yanks have a smaller Gallon......... )?

I do wish that over the years that the water temp gauge could have been fixed though. No one has been able to yet. That V12 makes a hell of a lot of heat when on the move, and a hell of a lot more when sat in non moving traffic. It boiled over on the road to the G W bridge . . . !!! luckily next to somewhere to get out of the way and wait 2 hours for it to cool down and the traffic to get better. It now seems to be permanently on the red.....except when its not.
I now open the bonnet (hood) by pushing the lever when sitting in non or slow moving traffic and closing it when moving again. With practice you can close it with your foot. And having the windows open, or roof down, and the heat on full..........

If yours is the V12 l recommend you check this small plastic washer looking part on the speed control, the heat under it kills it.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ontrol-103933/

Don't worry to much...go out and enjoy the trip....worry if anything really big happens. Small stuff is normal part of any car ownership not just Jags.

Ps aaa good for getting motel discounts too.

Last edited by malc4d; 10-05-2013 at 06:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
gkazimir (10-06-2013)
Old 10-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Received 10,306 Likes on 6,818 Posts

Originally Posted by gkazimir
So, if the hurricane/storm doesn't come up the coast and the weather forecast isn't bad, I'm considering taking my girl on her first longish trip - up to NJ to see my family.

I've conferred with my mechanic who gave it his, well, blessing may be strong, but semi-approval maybe, saying "why not? You have towing, right?" *sigh*

So, here's my checklist to prepare so far - anything I'm missing?

* Changed AAA membership to 200 mile towing limit.
* Put mechanic's card with new address and number in car.
* Checked for fire extinguisher & clear duct tape.
* Will check all fluids & tire pressure.
* Cell phone will be charged; Bluetooth speaker will be ready; car charger is available.
* I'll get cash for emergency payments.

Oh, does anyone have a good Jag mechanic in central NJ - near New Brunswick (South Plainfield/Piscataway area to be exact)? I'll add in that number if so. What else? Anything I should bring with me?

I'd hoped to have all the windows down, but the motor I thought I had went missing before they could ship it to me, so I'm still looking for one. But that's fairly minor - she looks good even with the windows up.

I'm hoping it will be OK, but just in case, I want to be a good scout about it :-). Thanks! - Gina
Gina,

I have followed some of your early posts, and I reckon the beast is well sorted. You have attended to the common V12 issues from what I read.

I have no idea how far this jaunt is, but the Jag will love it.

Proper music is #1, mine has a USB head unit with 8GB on tap.

Our last "longish trip" in the Red Terror, was "Around Australia via the coast road", which is about 15000kms. Only issue was the oil light switch, which I replaced in Townsville with a Toyota unit, still there today, and the Jag has NO idea it aint the right one.

I reckon you will be just fine. These cars are soooooo reliable once that forgotten "catch up" maintenance is completed.

Have a fun time.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 10-05-2013 at 08:17 AM.
gkazimir (10-06-2013)
Old 10-06-2013, 12:03 PM

Thanks! I do have a converter that allows me to use my iPod with my cassette deck - being a true Jersey Girl, I naturally intend to blast Bruce for sure, and will develop a playlist for the rest, or maybe just let it shuffle through. My iPod seems to know whenever I cross over the Jersey state line on shuffle anyway - it always plays me a Bruce song :-). I'm both excited and nervous for the trip - it's not long (150 miles or so) but it is a bit of a test drive...

Grant Francis (10-06-2013)
Old 10-09-2013, 10:33 AM

Well, I'm bummed. Unfortunately, it looks like my trip to NJ tomorrow will not be in my Jag - the weather forecast is for serious rain in NJ and the turnpike tango in poor driving conditions in a car that has not been tested for distance isn't the best idea (plus, I don't want some moron driving like crap in the rain sliding into her!). So, no cool car to drive but that's the smarter decision I know.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Francis

Proper music is #1, mine has a USB head unit with 8GB on tap.
Absolutely, MP3 encoded music is the only way to go and 8GB represents quite a massive number of CD's, or singles library... and just in case if that wasn't enough for some reason, then you load and carry three more 8GB sticks... a far cry from that humble 6-CD changer.

gkazimir (10-10-2013)