Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New CTEK user

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 09:11 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New CTEK user

New User CTEK
I do about 4 split runs of 10 miles, and a split journey of 30 miles once per week in the winter, all rural driving. The car is garaged although having said that it has been at 2 degrees this week inside the garage here in the Edinburgh alps. The battery is a Jag battery of 1 year old. I have never had battery or DPF problems with my past 2 diesel Jags on this winter usage but this week the XK struggled to turn over and I got many error messages. After reading about this problem on this and other forums I bought a CTEK charger and permanently attached the leads to the battery terminals with the comfort lead in the boot that can be run to the charger in the garage with the boot closed. These chargers are recommended by Jaguar and are widely used across the world. The knowledge gained from this and other forums was a big benefit. Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
Norri (01-24-2015)
Old 01-24-2015, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Jagst,

Did you attach the negative CTEK lead directly to the negative battery terminal? If so, and if your car is equipped with the battery monitoring system, you should disconnect that negative lead from the battery and reconnect it to a ground elsewhere on the body. Leaving that lead connected to the negative battery terminal will interfere with the proper operation of the BMS. There's a thread about this on the Forum.

I connected the battery maintainer (BatteryMinder brand) for my 4.2L XKR to the remote battery terminals in the trunk, and not directly to the battery. Been there for 4 years with no problems. I use a CTEK MUS 4.3 on my XJ.

Stuart

Old 01-24-2015, 01:29 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagst
New User CTEK ........
This is a perfect example of why we ask members to add vehicle Model and Year details to their forum Signatures.

Checking your registration information, I see you have a 2012MY. Here's the Jaguar CTEK fitting instructions:

JAF 0040 (10) - 1E (Battery Charger 2012MY).pdf

It doesn't matter whether you use a Jaguar branded or standard CTEK. As Stuart S wrote in post #2, do NOT connect the negative direct to the battery on this MY.

Graham

Old 01-24-2015, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
This is a perfect example of why we ask members to add vehicle Model and Year details to their forum Signatures.

Checking your registration information, I see you have a 2012MY. Here's the Jaguar CTEK fitting instructions:

Attachment 105131

It doesn't matter whether you use a Jaguar branded or standard CTEK. As Stuart S wrote in post #2, do NOT connect the negative direct to the battery on this MY.

Graham
Thanks and interesting as my 12 OM shows the hook up to be using the + positive jumper post behind the left rear trunk grill and to use the stud in the spare tire tub on the left for the - negative . That's the way I hooked my smart charger up and it seems to work as it should. But thanks for the info .

Old 01-24-2015, 02:12 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Thanks and interesting as my 12 OM shows the hook up to be using the + positive jumper post behind the left rear trunk grill and to use the stud in the spare tire tub on the left for the - negative . That's the way I hooked my smart charger up and it seems to work as it should. But thanks for the info .
I can find instructions for using booster cables in the JJM 10 02 30 121 - OWNER’S HANDBOOK but no instructions for permanently connecting a CTEK. Do you have a different edition 2012 MY Owner's Handbook or supplement with these instructions?

Graham

Old 01-25-2015, 04:17 AM

OK. Thanks, the Jag dealer said direct to battery, when I asked if negative should go to body earth. Will speak to him again.

GGG (01-25-2015)
Old 01-25-2015, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
I can find instructions for using booster cables in the JJM 10 02 30 121 - OWNER’S HANDBOOK but no instructions for permanently connecting a CTEK. Do you have a different edition 2012 MY Owner's Handbook or supplement with these instructions?

Graham
I'll check it at a later point as I have the car up on the lift for it's winter rest. I guess the discussion seems to be whether you hook up a charger either upstream or downstream from the control module. Then again does it make a difference. A few of the dealers I have visited use the method I use but I assume because it is temporary it is the easiest to do.

GGG (01-25-2015)
Old 01-25-2015, 09:42 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Jagst
OK. Thanks, the Jag dealer said direct to battery, when I asked if negative should go to body earth. Will speak to him again.

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I'll check it at a later point as I have the car up on the lift for it's winter rest. I guess the discussion seems to be whether you hook up a charger either upstream or downstream from the control module. Then again does it make a difference. A few of the dealers I have visited use the method I use but I assume because it is temporary it is the easiest to do.
Like you, I doubt it makes much difference.

However. Jaguar Dealers (certainly in the UK) should be following Jaguar recommended procedures. In the case of the 2012MY this is detailed in the PDF I posted in #3 and available to them through TOPIx.

I'm surprised Jagst received the wrong advice from his local dealer (presumably Pentland - Jaguar in Edinburgh?).

In the USA you appear to have a very different relationship with Jaguar Dealers. If a UK Dealer treated/spoke to me in the manner of some of the reports I've read on the forum about USA dealers, he would receive a very sharp lesson in customer service!

Graham

Old 01-28-2015, 05:02 AM

Thought I had replied but seems to have disappeared. Rechecked with my Jag Dealer not Pentland. Spoke to the Service Manager and he confirmed should be no problem but checked with his Jag Techs and they confirmed there should be no problem connecting direct to battery., They did emphasise you should not Jump Start through battery terminals. I am having no problems with my ctek charger to date. I may add I have had all my Jags serviced and repaired at this Dealer and had nothing but great service.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:04 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

I use an optimate 6 smart charger/maintainer on my 2013 XKR with no problems to date. I have it connected direct to both battery terminals. However, I do notice when the maintainer goes into maintaining mode the finish light glows green to indicate no faults or battery problems found. After 48 hours the finish light also shows a bit of yellow which may indicate a small battery drain used by the car to keep the electronic modules in check. Like most modern cars there is a small parasitic drain on the batteries to keep the electronics alive.

Last edited by DGL; 01-29-2015 at 05:08 AM.