XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

New owner/member...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Default New owner/member...

Hey all,

Pleased to be on the board among so many knowledgeable users, and even more pleased to be back in a Jag. I had a 2001 XK8 convertible (what a looker! Bright red with chrome Jaguar rims and light cashmere interior), but haven't been in a Jaguar since selling her. Man, the looks from gals I got in that car...

But I digress... I'm the prod owner of a CPO'd XKR. 2010 with the bigger engine, a silver coupe with charcoal interior and contrasting stitching. 4,100 miles, the car was registered first time in late 2010, so plenty of miles and years of warranty left. Paid a few thousand under $75k, so I feel like I did OK. I hope she was broken in properly.

I bought the car sight unseen off of the internet, so let's hope there are no surprises. The car is in Texas, I live in the S.F. Bay Area. I'm flying to NYC for business on Friday and flying back from NYC to Texas, where I'll meet the car, take the keys, and take to the open road for the 2,000 mile trip home! Epic! A bit cavalier to put 50% more miles on her in one fell swoop, but life is for the living, no?

It will be an interesting trip to say the least, I'm still not sure whether I'll take the fast and ugly route home, or whether I'll take my time and detour through Santa Fe, the grand canyon, Las Vegas, etc... Trying to pre-program myself to keep the speed down and not ruin the trip with a ticket while testing out the XKR's feel at high speed.

I look forward to posting pictures and seeking advice. I tend to mod my cars, especially ones with forced induction And it seems that there are some good exterior mods to be had as well, so I'll be reading as much as I can here before departing Friday.

Best to all,

Skeeter

Old 09-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Welcome and congrats! I was unlucky enough to recieve a ticket on my first road trip and I have an XK not an XKR lol. I am sure you will fall in love just as I did. Post some pics when you can.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome Skeeter! I didn't something similar for my 2007 xkr. Internet buy drove about 1350 miles back. The pictures didn't tell the whole story, but I have time to fix what the perfectionist in me wants to do. Enjoy the open road and just remember the parked cars in the median with pretty lights are there for your safety..... They give you an adrenaline rush when you get tired.

be safe, have fun, and enjoy. Welcome

Old 09-15-2011, 04:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Congrats, happy dafe driving , that's a mean upgrade

Old 09-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Dan
Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats! Where in TX are you buying from? I bought mine from momentum here in Houston.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:08 PM

Dan,

Yes, Momentum in Houston. A long way from home...

Was your experience favorable?

Fingers crossed!

Skeeter

Old 09-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am a new member and NEW proud owner of a 2009 XK. It looks and drives like new, but has 48500 miles on it...I can buy an extended warranty for about $5k that will give me 50,000 more miles. I'm thinking that means I'm expecting about 2 or 3 major repairs over the next 4 years. Is this a valid concern or should I save the money and just wait and see if anything major happens? I've already gotten the CATs warning and cleared as recommended on this forum. Yes, it went away after I restarted the car.
So, I'm torn, to spend the $$ now or wait and possible not need the warranty insurance. Any insights?

Old 09-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before you plunk down $5k, I would ask the dealer to print out the maintenance on the car. This should give you an idea on what was done on the car ...gives you more info to make decision. In my opinion, since you already have 48k on the car, you would think all the bugs have been worked out.

The following users liked this post:
BoraBoraBabe (09-17-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Dan

Momentum is good. My only complaint is that they force you to buy a couple addons like paint and windshield protection which of course gives more profit. This is how they are able to list their cars at a more fair price....

Just be sure to really review their paperwork as they made a few errors on ours costing us time. They also drove my trade in around and got a toll violation before they transferred the title. We had to pay it but the reimbursed us. Minor but an annoyance to say the least.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Cograts,congrats. +1 on the print out,mine at 45K had brakes ,rotors, oil right before I purchased it.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Dan

Originally Posted by BoraBoraBabe
I too am a new member and NEW proud owner of a 2009 XK. It looks and drives like new, but has 48500 miles on it...I can buy an extended warranty for about $5k that will give me 50,000 more miles. I'm thinking that means I'm expecting about 2 or 3 major repairs over the next 4 years. Is this a valid concern or should I save the money and just wait and see if anything major happens? I've already gotten the CATs warning and cleared as recommended on this forum. Yes, it went away after I restarted the car.
So, I'm torn, to spend the $$ now or wait and possible not need the warranty insurance. Any insights?
$5k seems like a lot for a warranty. I personally would not go for it and instead put $2k in a reserve account for peace of mind.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:06 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Jaguars on the Internet

I too bought my Jaguar sight unseen on the internet. $40,00.00 for a Indigo Blue three year old XK convertible with 31,000 miles. The dealer had a 100% positive feedback on E-Bay after over 400 cars sold, so I felt pretty safe.

I chose to have the car trucked to me vice driving it myself. Glad I did, for it came off the truck with a blown heater fan relay which meant no heat or AC until it was replaced (which it later was under the warranty). Nonetheless, the drive from Maryland to South Carolina in a driving cold rain with no heater or defrosters would have been interesting indeed.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:04 AM
Default Back: First impressions of the XKR

Well the long grind from Houston to Berkeley, California is over, I took my poor 2010 from 3800 miles to 5,000 miles in a touch over three days. Whew. Not the most scenic route, my passenger was in a rush to get back home so we took highway 10 west until we hit L.A., then up the coast with minimal twisties. Grateful for the incredibly effective a/c, flying through one day of 12 hour driving that started at 100 degrees in the morning and never dipped below, up to most of the day at 107-109. Love the seat coolers! Wish they were more silent, but a very effective way to stay cool.

The car itself was in perfect shape when I picked it up. As new. Amazing. Dazzling in silver, but I have spent more time looking at the steering wheel and instrument cluster than the car's sexy lines, I regret to say.

Positive surprises:
Let's start with the looks. Amazingly well styled car, great interior (love the black headliner), just a beautiful car. I'm having a hard time adjusting to the attention in draws, I tend to drive sleepers that are very fast but look like a regular car. This thing (at least in the SF Bay Area, with dealer plates) is drawing crazy looks, walk arounds, cell pics, and tons of stares and thumbs-up. I hope I get used to the attention!

Next, the stereo. Unreal. The B&W system has to be the most accurate system I'm ever experienced in a car. Maybe not quite as much crazy punch as I like (mega base), but that's not the point, obviously. An incredible sonorous experience. Though I find myself 'pegging' out the volume way too often when I'm trying to really crank music up loud. Is there a way to dial up the amp, or do I need to work on upping the output levels on my pre-amp devices (ipod for example)?

Brake modulation is stellar. As is steering feel (weight and center feel) is perfect for my likes.

Next favorite, the adaptive cruise control! Seemed like it'd be a small thing, but DAMN is that thing useful and easy. Do the brake lights light up when it kicks in to slow you down, or is it using a downshift and lifting off the throttle only? Will it completely stop me if a truck changes in lane in front of me and comes to a VERY sudden stop? Or does it only do so much slowing down?

Moving along, I'd say the engine might even need to be higher on the list. Smooth as silk, quiet as a Caddy until you romp on it. Then the cat's growl takes and the combination of low end torque and high end HP is intoxicating. Smooth and fast, I'm going to do some 0-60 runs timed soon, no way this is a mid 4 second car. NFW. 4 flat or better is my guess.

Oh, the headlights. A-freaking-mazing. Light up the night, point right where they should be, corner/parking side lights, all very elegant with the LEDs, etc. Very nice.

Now, off the highlights, the neutral aspects:

The ride is not as 'adaptive' as I was expecting. It rides pretty hard (for my tastes and the SF Bay Area's lousy roads). Not jarring, but I was thinking there'd be a comfort mode that would be on the plush side, then a stiff more performance setting. While the car does have adaptive dynamics, they are all pretty tight and firm for a bad road or a sensitive female passenger. Still getting used to it, only been out four or five times since I got it back from Texas. We will see what can be figured out adjustment wise.

A few creaks in the frame, I think around the driver's side pillar. NBD but surprising in a car that feels this stiff.

The interface screen is bad but not nearly as bad as I was expecting given the reviews. I was expecting worse. Livable...

Good mileage, 22+ for the trip, all at 80 mph and over. Nice...

That's about it for now. I'll post a few bad pics from my phone and will upload some better shots with my real camera.

Can anyone point me to a good thread or two on some basic things we should know? Ways to bypass the PITA Nav lockouts, surprise features or favorite settings/features?

It is going to hurt to drill holes and put a plate on the nose! Ouch!

Need to push some corners and see how hard it grips. First test today was amazing. Sticks like a tick and the transmission really gets the job done. Need to figure out all the ASC DSC TrackDSC stuff to figure out what to turn on and what to leave off.

A bit of culture shock with all the attention, and I'm thinking this might not be a daily driver car. Too much car for that, and I'm too worried about it getting messed with or dented by car doors in parking lots. So much more attention that I'd have guessed...

Send me your favorite threads and I'll attach a few pics now.

Thanks all,

Skeeter

Old 10-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Dan

Congrats can't wait to see the pics

Old 10-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome aboard!