XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

New Owner Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 06:12 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New Owner Transmission Question

I've been cataloging some "bugs" I'll want my dealer to address on the pre-owned 08 XK I just bought and I need a sanity check on this one.

As I slow to a stop, it feels like the transmission makes an abrupt down shift. Is this normal behavior in the XK A6?

Thanks

Tom

Old 04-19-2011, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Not a complete answer...

but I don't experience this in my 07 XKR, and if it were doing this in my car I'd have it checked out. The transmission is supposed to be "silky smooth".

One thing I am having checked out is my throttle response. I press the gas pedal and it takes about a quarter to a half second to respond. Sometimes I keep on pressing the pedal unconsciously to make the car *go* and then it jerks off due to the larger pedal I gave it.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:18 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Throttle yes, transmission, no...

Originally Posted by rscultho
but I don't experience this in my 07 XKR, and if it were doing this in my car I'd have it checked out. The transmission is supposed to be "silky smooth".

One thing I am having checked out is my throttle response. I press the gas pedal and it takes about a quarter to a half second to respond. Sometimes I keep on pressing the pedal unconsciously to make the car *go* and then it jerks off due to the larger pedal I gave it.
I have the same fraction of a second throttle response delay in my 2008 XK. I think they are probably all that way. In any case, I have grown used to it and generally don't give it a second thought..

As far as the transmission issue, I am not having any problems with the transmission in mine. It really is "silky smooth", probably the best shifting auto trans I have ever owned...

Old 04-19-2011, 07:25 AM

That's what I figured, I have an appointment for tomorrow to have that and other "bugs" looked at. I just wish dealers were closer to home, it's costing me about 8 off of work to deal with these issues.

Tom

Old 04-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Let us know...

Originally Posted by TomServo
That's what I figured, I have an appointment for tomorrow to have that and other "bugs" looked at. I just wish dealers were closer to home, it's costing me about 8 off of work to deal with these issues.

Tom
Once you get them looked at, list your "bugs" and the result of having them checked.

Good luck

Old 04-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

Tom, the trans is the most "silky smooth" trans I've ever driven. But, I've learned that just like the Vette's, it learns your driving style. I've found with aggressive driving that it will shift fairly firm on down shifts. If you want really firm down shifts then try sports mode. Good luck with the dealer.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Nevette
Tom, the trans is the most "silky smooth" trans I've ever driven. But, I've learned that just like the Vette's, it learns your driving style. I've found with aggressive driving that it will shift fairly firm on down shifts. If you want really firm down shifts then try sports mode. Good luck with the dealer.
I've read that as well and the 600 miles I put on the car have been the first 300 highway miles driven from the dealership to routine and "babied" city driving. I'm actually driving like an old lady to get a real world city fuel mileage reading, so I've been coasting to stops, avoiding stopping all together, avoid the "jack rabbit" starts etc. So I figured after 600 miles of easy driving the transmission would have gotten the message that this owner is babying the car.

But we'll see what the dealer finds.

And for the request about posting up my "hit list" and what the dealer addresses, absolutely I'll post up the results.

I hope to get the car back this evening.

Tom

Old 04-20-2011, 06:19 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In normal Drive mode it is very smooth.

In Sport mode (i.e. with the gear lever moved across) you do get a more abrupt shift, especially noticable when slowing to a stop, as it blips the throttle for a more 'sporty' sound/feel.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having the same problem with my 07 XK and have an appointment to have the software update and adaptation reset per my tech's diagnosis:

"I have seen this concern before, only with the Jaguar models with the ZF 6 speed gearbox. There is software update and TCM adaptation reseting proceedure for the transmission that usually cures the harsh shifting. The cause of the harsh shifting is that the TCM adaptations are said to drift causing harsh shifts. After resetting the TCM adaptaions the TCM will learn and adapt to your driving habits. I usaully advise that customers try very hard to keep RPM's lower than normal (2500-3000 tops) while accelerating from stops. No hard accelerating or braking for around 500 miles or so, and no Sport mode or paddle shifting. This usually helps the TCM adaptations relearn your driving habits."

Old 04-21-2011, 11:51 AM

Just returned from the dealer, they test drive the car and said they couldn't find any system errors in the "IDS" whatever that is. So far it has shifted flawlessly, I do have to bring the car back when a new headlight assembly comes in so I'll have more time to drive the car and see for myself if it was "just one of those things" new cars tend to do.

Tom

Old 05-06-2011, 06:12 PM

I had the adaptation reset procedure done and it cured the problem for a week or so. After it relearned my driving habits the abrupt down shift slowing to a stop came back. Seems like something I'll have to live with.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:56 AM

My abrupt down shifts have returned. Bummer, freaks my wife when she drives the car.

Tom

Last edited by TomServo; 05-07-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:49 PM

Is your abrupt down shift only occurring when slowing to a stop? How do you normally drive the car? My thought is that if you're driving aggressively it will adapt to that and have abrupt down shifts. If you drive gingerly it won't do it.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by pwrful4
Is your abrupt down shift only occurring when slowing to a stop? How do you normally drive the car? My thought is that if you're driving aggressively it will adapt to that and have abrupt down shifts. If you drive gingerly it won't do it.
No this isn't due to aggressive driving, these are "granny" stop usually within the last 10 or 15 feet of a gentle stop.

I need to book another visit with my dealer for a few other glitches and I'll ask them to re-visit this complaint.

Cheers

Tom

Old 05-08-2011, 09:36 AM

I know the stops are granny like, but how is the driving prior? ie do you drive aggressively most of the time?

Old 05-08-2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by pwrful4
I know the stops are granny like, but how is the driving prior? ie do you drive aggressively most of the time?
No I have this for my FAST and AGGRESSIVE driving
Name:  RoadAmerica10005-1.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  85.8 KB

The XK is for cruising.

Tom

Old 06-01-2019, 08:19 AM
Received 160 Likes on 96 Posts