XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New potential owner. Looking at a RAV'd XK. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 01:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New potential owner. Looking at a RAV'd XK. Help!

Warmest greetings to all. I'm looking very hard at becoming a new Jaguar owner, but really need a second opinion on the Jag I'm looking at. Any advice will be a great blessing.

Long Story, made as short as possible: I'm looking at a black 2010 XK that is being sold by a Jaguar dealership. It's very well equipped as all the 2010's are. The interior is in flawless condition. After walking around the exterior, there's a bit of scuffing under the front passenger side, but it's to be expected. they put some touch-up paint and called it a day. Looks tacky if you're within 2 feet, but unnoticeable from any further distance. Otherwise, the exterior is also flawless.

The salesmen came off honest enough and we took it for a test drive. Flawless, and I choose to ride for half the test drive with the sound off to listen for every odd sound and feel for every possible vibration or squeak. Everything seemed flawless. Tires also appear very new. A couple thousand miles on them at the very most.

So we come back to discuss prices. The manager informs the salesmen that he's taking $6k off immediately and tells him it's an RAV (reacquired vehicle). I don't think the salesmen I was working with knew before he met with his manager about the car (I believe it's new on their lot). The salesmen informs me that the car was returned because of a breaking squeak and vibration that they couldn't get sorted out after a few tries for the original buyer. After reacquiring the car, they were able to fix the problem by replacing several components (I can't remember the names of the parts replaced, but I will list them specifically tomorrow). And indeed, the problem was fixed. In my test drive (20 minute drive of stop and go driving; not short at all), there was absolutely no vibration or break squeaking of any kind. I'm sure I would have noticed with the sound off, as my ears and butt are sensitive .

The CarFax was clean, BUT the CarFax I was presented with ended in December of 2010. No history of the last 8 months, though the history. Of the information that was there, the car was quite clean and I assume that everything else about the car is solid. The dealer initially told me the warranty was good through 2016/100,000mi, but that was before he found out about the RAV status, so now I'm not sure if it actually qualifies for that program anymore (if not, the warranty would expire in 2014/50,000mi).

The price that they're offering it for is just $55k, and I'm pretty sure I can push them down even lower.

Needless to say, I have a few more questions that I didn't have time to ask after this revelation, but before doing anything else I knew it was time to seek the opinion of those who own, live and breathe XK's.

Obvious questions: How concerned should I be about the reasons for the RAV status of this car (squeaking in the rear + vibration) now that the issues appear to be resolved? Are the kinds of issues this car had the sort that resurface over time? Should I have it independently inspected to verify no additional damage was done during the repair process or anything? If so, what is the process for that? Is that even necessary if buying from the primarily Jaguar dealer/service center in the state?

Obviously, I'll be seeking clarification on the correct length of the warranty as well as the CPO status...but if anyone can help me with the right questions to ask and the right actions to take to ensure this car is a safe buy, I'd appreciate the insight. I know this car will be tough to resell at any point in the future because of this RAV thing, but if it really has been restored to proper working order and if I can trust that the repairs resolved the issue without any collateral damage, it seems like a steal.

Sorry for the verbosity...but the details were important. Thanks in advance, guys and gals.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:30 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

OK, not an expert in the least... But can relay a slightly similar situation.... A co-worker of my's inlaws are quite well off. They lease high line cars... They currently have a XKR Portfolio edition. They seem to have constant issues with the car (they let it sit for weeks at a time). The dealer and I have both stated that the car needs to be driven more.... But they reacted in the opposite way...and just let it sit waiting to get rid of it.. Really sad.....

So, my point, this may be a situation of the original owner just not getting what they had and just kept complaining about it until Jaguar took it back....

I would compare it to other used listings out there... and insist that you will take it only if Jaguar Corporate warranties it under the CPO program..

I don't think it is a major issue since the complaints seem to be mechanical in nature and mechanical parts can be replaced.... Now if it was brought back due to body leaks and rattles.... well I would run away...

Just my 2 cents... (and a bump to see if anyone else will chime in)...

Old 09-13-2011, 07:11 AM

thank you for the reply.

I wouldn't say the issue was that it wasn't driven enough in this case. It has about 15k miles on it. but yes, the mechanical parts were replaced.

I definitely like the idea of demanding CPO status for the car from Cororate and will definitely have that on my list of demands when I call later today.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:24 AM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

If the car is in fact an RAV the warranty on those cars will mirror a CPO warranty but under a different name I think it is JQA Jaguar Quality Assurance. Those cars are the best deals out there because the problems are usually fixed but the owner just wants a new car & would a have qualified for Lemon Law.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:18 AM

You're certainly help allay my worries.

I will be contacting them shortly about the warranty and the specific problem it had so that I can post it for further critique. Also, I will request a CarFax report that's newer than December 2010 (seems like a no-brainer).

Old 09-13-2011, 01:23 PM

Point of information: I spoke with the dealer again so that I could write down the issue.

Under breaking, there was a clunking noise. They had originally replaced the breaks, rotors and wheels but couldn't resolve the issue. Since the dealership the car is now it is an RA center, they received the car and were able to repair it.

The replaced the rear axle to resolve the issue.

So for the record, this means that the tires, breaks, rotors and rear axle were all replaced and should be pretty much new.

Obviously all the work mentioned is standard work outside of the rear axle replacement. Should the replacement of something like that be of big concern to me? Or can I reasonably expect that it won't have any issues going forward?

Also, they re-confirmed to me that the car would be under the CPO warranty up to 100,000 miles or 6 years.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreams-Visions
Point of information: I spoke with the dealer again so that I could write down the issue.

Under breaking, there was a clunking noise. They had originally replaced the breaks, rotors and wheels but couldn't resolve the issue. Since the dealership the car is now it is an RA center, they received the car and were able to repair it.

The replaced the rear axle to resolve the issue.

So for the record, this means that the tires, breaks, rotors and rear axle were all replaced and should be pretty much new.

Obviously all the work mentioned is standard work outside of the rear axle replacement. Should the replacement of something like that be of big concern to me? Or can I reasonably expect that it won't have any issues going forward?

Also, they re-confirmed to me that the car would be under the CPO warranty up to 100,000 miles or 6 years.
That's very interesting...the drive shaft and/or axles would have been the *first* things I looked at with symptoms like that.

I would not hesitate to get this car. And what an absolutely awesome deal it would be - a 2010 for (close to) $50k???!!!

Wow, and especially with a good warranty, I would jump on that in a heartbeat!!!

Old 09-13-2011, 01:46 PM

Thank you for your reply. I'm pretty much sold at this point, and your comment only adds confirmation to my gut feeling about this.

I'll be heading over to the dealer this evening. I now expect to come back around $10k lighter in the pockets.

If anyone sees any reason for me and this XK to not marry, let him speak now or forever hold his peace. lol

Old 09-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

And let wedding bells ring.......

Old 09-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts
Old 09-14-2011, 02:02 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreams-Visions
Thank you for your reply. I'm pretty much sold at this point, and your comment only adds confirmation to my gut feeling about this.

I'll be heading over to the dealer this evening. I now expect to come back around $10k lighter in the pockets.

If anyone sees any reason for me and this XK to not marry, let him speak now or forever hold his peace. lol
Sounds like a great deal. I think that I would probably ask for the VIN number and just pay for a car fax report myself if I had any suspicion that the dealer was trying to hide something but it sounds like they've been pretty open with you regarding the problems that this particular vehicle has had.

I'm dying to find out what happened!! Are you an XK owner yet??

Old 09-14-2011, 09:28 AM

Not yet. Didn't get a chance to get there last night. I'll be going this afternoon, hopefully.

We shall see! :-)