XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New XK owner here

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Default New XK owner here

I already said hello here , but I figure this is the forum I am most interested in, so hello again!

We're loving the car and hope to enjoy it for years to come. My wife is commuting to school in it for the semester and using it as a daily driver so we're clocking about 300-400miles per week until May but after that the Jag should go down to much less use (<200 miles per mo.). It currently has ~35K miles and we immediately took it to the dealer for a full workout as the factory warranty expired just days after we took possession. The steering column was replaced due to some strange squeaking during turning but otherwise everything else was in top shape. She's already put 1000 highway miles on it and just really loves it.

Are there any problem areas, maintenance, or other issues that we may need to worry about other than typical items that Jag XKs might warrant? To be perfectly honest this is the first car that I have owned that I really like and don't want to miss anything. I noticed the dealer recommends an annual checkup with a cost near $1000 which seems absurd. Thoughts? and thanks!

Old 02-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Congratulations and welcome!

Old 02-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Congratulations and welcome...

Have your battery load tested. Many of the electrical gremlins people experience are created from an old/inadequate battery. If you need a new battery you will do well to get an Absorbent Glass Matt (AGM) battery. There is a thread on this in the forum.

Enjoy your XK!

Originally Posted by apost8n8
I already said hello here , but I figure this is the forum I am most interested in, so hello again!

We're loving the car and hope to enjoy it for years to come. My wife is commuting to school in it for the semester and using it as a daily driver so we're clocking about 300-400miles per week until May but after that the Jag should go down to much less use (<200 miles per mo.). It currently has ~35K miles and we immediately took it to the dealer for a full workout as the factory warranty expired just days after we took possession. The steering column was replaced due to some strange squeaking during turning but otherwise everything else was in top shape. She's already put 1000 highway miles on it and just really loves it.

Are there any problem areas, maintenance, or other issues that we may need to worry about other than typical items that Jag XKs might warrant? To be perfectly honest this is the first car that I have owned that I really like and don't want to miss anything. I noticed the dealer recommends an annual checkup with a cost near $1000 which seems absurd. Thoughts? and thanks!

Old 02-13-2013, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

I seem to have a strange squeaking sound in my wheel as well, but my experience with my X350 tells me that the squeaking is caused by some sort of power steering rack issue, not the steering column rubbing against something. IIRC, there was some sort of special power steering additive that could be put into the power steering system to stop the squeaking. I think I can live with the squeaking, but on my X350, it was accompanied by a shimmy/vibration in the wheel when turning!

Last edited by amcdonal86; 02-13-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

As said, welcome to a wonderful car.

My only area of concern is that this series had a design flaw in the AC drain tube, which allows water to saturate the passenger floorboards. A TSB exists for a rather costly repair (pulling the dash). I would check your cars history to see if the TSB has already been done.
Beyond that, I think you will find your cat a "well designed and built" machine that will give you many many enjoyable and troublefree miles.
Keep in mind she is not a "high technology" based car (whistles and bells are sub-par to cars costing half the price), but her driving manors certainly put a smile on your face and you quickly discover her worth on the open roads.

Vince

Old 02-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member

Is replacing that "duck bill" drain pipe even necessary? My floor felt damp a few weeks ago on the passenger side. I closed all the vents, turned HVAC fan to the max and fresh air, and directed the air to the upper vents. At first, it seemed to really be fighting itself, but after a few seconds, you could tell that some sort of blockage had been cleared. We'll see if this did the trick or not!

Old 02-13-2013, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Keep the leather well treated as the dash is prone to shrinking. Seats can crease and wear easily if not on top of keep leather conditioned.

Drive the heck out of your XK and don't care about mileage.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Received 189 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Welcome!

I'm a new member too, having joined this past October. My advice is to what I did. Pick a day when the weather is bad and your "honey-do" list is short. Then, make a fresh pot of coffee and read EVERY thread on EVERY topic within the XK-XKR 2006 Onward listing. It may take several hours and several trips to the john, but if you highlight, cut and paste everything that you read that's potentially relevant to your Cat ... you'll find it was time well spent. You'll know your Cat much better and you'll know better how to navigate around within the forum. Holler if there's anything I can help you with ... keeping in mind that I too am a newbee!

Old 09-17-2014, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New XK Owner

Greetings...I just purchased a 2010 XK...dashboard was strinking...had it repair...but shop broke the passager demester vent cover...need help finding one

Old 09-17-2014, 04:30 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the dealer change the oil and general check up $100.00 once a year

Old 09-17-2014, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

May run into the AC draining into passenger foot well. That one is around 1K at a Jag dealer and they are about the only ones I would trust to do it correct.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Is replacing that "duck bill" drain pipe even necessary? My floor felt damp a few weeks ago on the passenger side. I closed all the vents, turned HVAC fan to the max and fresh air, and directed the air to the upper vents. At first, it seemed to really be fighting itself, but after a few seconds, you could tell that some sort of blockage had been cleared. We'll see if this did the trick or not!
It seems that pressurising the system by closing all the vents & putting it on full blast works OK if the drain tube is not too stuck together. But it hasn't solved the problem for everyone. However, if you own a 4.2 XK/R, it would probably be a sensible maintenance policy to do it once every few months, just to keep the 'duck bill' quacking properly - especially if there's a big puddle of water under the car after you do it, which would indicate it was at least partially stuck. On the 5.0 cars, they removed most of one side of the bill, thus reducing the chances of the two sides sticking together.