XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

No AC and No Music by way of USB or Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 02:50 PM
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
Default No AC and No Music by way of USB or Bluetooth

I just bought a 2011 XK Convertible. The air was working. Shut the car off restart 10 minutes later and no cold air. I've a lot of these and I tried everyway possible from the controls and all I get is hot air blowing. Had to drive from Dallas Texas to Central Florida yesterday with no air. Stayed over 92 the whole time. That was the temp, I was over 100 a lot of the time and still averaged 23 mpg, I guess the lack of AC may have contributed to 23. Today I got it checked out at a local garage. They said the system is pressurized and full of freon. They said they can't go any further without factory diagnostics.

I'm thinking it must be something small like a switch or plug that's defective or came loose.

The other issue is that when I plug my Iphone into the USB plug the XK sees the phone but shows the XK audio is paused while the music is audible on the phone. Nothing I do changes that, including restarting my phone. When I try the bluetooth, my phone sees the XK and asks for a pin. I read that I can put any 4 digit number in. Once I do that it says the XK is not ready to connect, or words to that effect.

Of course the AC is the real issue.

Old 05-23-2023, 06:13 PM

I'm surprised no one has any ideas regarding the AC.

Old 05-23-2023, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,191 Likes on 3,109 Posts

There's an Expansion Valve at the firewall that can cause those symptoms for your A/C. Fairly inexpensive job.
As for the iphoney, you need to use the OLD timey iPod connector and hook it up to the iPod connector near the USB.
Overall for the Bluetooth, delete every phone, do a Hard Reset on the car (just to make sure), then start over again with the pairing. Sometimes the Bluetooth modules go bad and need replacing though.

Old 05-24-2023, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the heads-up on the expansion valve. Is that something that can be replaced without evacuating the system? I can't find any threads coving it.

Now that I've had it a few days I see that after the XK sits for a few days, the AC comes on for about 5 minutes then goes back to blowing hot air.

Old 05-24-2023, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,184 Likes on 2,345 Posts

Originally Posted by David's XKR
Thanks for the heads-up on the expansion valve. Is that something that can be replaced without evacuating the system? I can't find any threads coving it.

Now that I've had it a few days I see that after the XK sits for a few days, the AC comes on for about 5 minutes then goes back to blowing hot air.
No to your question. Expansion valve is in line. There's nothing special about Jaguar AC except how the flaps work I think. For those, you prolly need software to diagnose, however, everything in the engine bay s typical of a generic automotive AC system that uses a clutch-less compressor. I'm a bit surprised your shop said they needed software after charging. Did they confirm everything else in the engine bay is functional? Have you felt the lines for hot/cold? A basic google search will give you an idea on what to look for before focusing on Jaguar specific functions.