Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Noise when i turn off the engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Noise when i turn off the engine / Jaguar Le Port Marly

I already talked about it before but I will upload a youtube video this time, i need to wait 2 hours that youtube got it.
Dealer said it was a noise of the air inside the tube, well i can hear two noise that do not come from air in the tubes for sure, I will go tomorrow morning at the dealer so they can hear this again.

hopefully in the next few hours, i will post my video.
thank you all.

Last edited by jagxk2008; 05-03-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

For those of us who haven't read the other thread (or don't know where it is), can you let us know what the noise sounds like and when it happens?

Old 04-17-2013, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

There is two noises now, at 00:49 sec we can hear the kind of saucepan/rusty valves noise I was describing before, it surely the valves. (it can be much stronger)

I also have something floating, tapping in the dashboard disturbing me, I am going tomorrow morning at jag to try to have these problems fixed one time for all.

I will appreciate comments from jag tecnicians so I can argue better my demand tomorrow. I talked about it when the constructor warranty was valid, now I am with a one year one extended.

The rusty valves noise is present most of the time, it is not intermitent indeed.

Thanks in advance, it sounds like the motor who operates the valves is bad. And before the valves noise now there is a noise that looks like when the parking brake motor goes bad. So i suspect it is the motor who operates the valves.

Last edited by jagxk2008; 04-26-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
For those of us who haven't read the other thread (or don't know where it is), can you let us know what the noise sounds like and when it happens?

it happens when i turn off the engine and get out of the car. lol... it is written in the tittle, but i appreciate your concern! ....

Old 04-17-2013, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

[Deleted]

Last edited by amcdonal86; 04-17-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:34 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jagxk2008

I also have something floating, tapping in the dashboard disturbing me,
I had the same, and it was the hood, not the dash. If you hit the hood near the window with your hand you can probably reproduce it. Then adjust the rubber stops under the hood to resolve.

The following users liked this post:
jagxk2008 (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 03:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dutch07xk
I had the same, and it was the hood, not the dash. If you hit the hood near the window with your hand you can probably reproduce it. Then adjust the rubber stops under the hood to resolve.
well thank you yes i did and adjust both were noisy i could not seat and reproduce it to check it out but later today i will see if there is any difference, thank you anyway.

re the valves noise, its the whole silencer that may need to be changed, its 1400 euros, so they lubrificated the valves and it seems better now.

they're kind to receive me anytime I want this is real cool.

I am going to a F type presentation tonight in Valencia.

the noise before the valves noise we can hear is the parking brake indeed, when you shut off the engine you do set up the parking brake automaticly for those who thinks they are not using it.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

this is my rear tires those are more used than front.
what do you guys think.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

this is my rear tires those are more used than front.
what do you guys think.
Welcome to the club of a high torque power house...

My 5L is the first car I have owned that has this much power and torque. I too was surprised when my first set of Michelin Pilot Sports wore out with the front tires only half way gone. Other cars I have owned the rears wore about the same as the front tires. I've had several "professional" tell me this. At first I still did not believe that totally, but after checking it out I verified what everybody was telling me.

On our 5L liters we are putting a lot of torque on the road, more than your realize even at lower speeds. Tires like the Michelins I use are softer than other tires as well, which will cause them to wear a little faster given the extra torque/power.

Your rears will probably only last about half/three quarters the life of the fronts. I put my current rears on at 22, 642 miles. I'm currently at 32,456 miles and will probably need new rears sometime this fall. I think my fronts will be ready to be replaced this time as well at the same time as the rears.

Edit: My fronts were replaced at around 16K miles...

2nd edit: By the way, my exhaust valve cycles the same as yours. I hear it when I turn off the engine. It's not quite as loud as yours, but I do hear it cycle when I turn off the engine. As long as it works correctly I don't think you need to replace it.

Last edited by rscultho; 04-18-2013 at 06:44 AM.
jagxk2008 (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member

I guess the 5L XKs set the parking brake automatically. My 4.2 definitely does not. Glad you got it worked out!

jagxk2008 (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member

I guess the 5L XKs set the parking brake automatically. My 4.2 definitely does not. Glad you got it worked out!
yes but nothing tells us, there is no sign or signal...

Old 04-18-2013, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rscultho

My 5L is the first car I have owned that has this much power and torque. I too was surprised when my first set of Michelin Pilot Sports wore out with the front tires only half way gone. Other cars I have owned the rears wore about the same as the front tires. I've had several "professional" tell me this. At first I still did not believe that totally, but after checking it out I verified what everybody was telling me.

On our 5L liters we are putting a lot of torque on the road, more than your realize even at lower speeds. Tires like the Michelins I use are softer than other tires as well, which will cause them to wear a little faster given the extra torque/power.

Your rears will probably only last about half/three quarters the life of the fronts. I put my current rears on at 22, 642 miles. I'm currently at 32,456 miles and will probably need new rears sometime this fall. I think my fronts will be ready to be replaced this time as well at the same time as the rears.

2nd edit: By the way, my exhaust valve cycles the same as yours. I hear it when I turn off the engine. It's not quite as loud as yours, but I do hear it cycle when I turn off the engine. As long as it works correctly I don't think you need to replace it.
thank you for your post, the valves can be "cleaned " or lubricate i hope we won't have to change this silencer, that is why I sold my ex xk....it was also time to change the tires...

Old 04-18-2013, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

yes but nothing tells us, there is no sign or signal...
This is true, but my X350 did it automatically and you could hear it activating. On my XKR, when you activate it manually, you can hear it activating (plus the brake pedal feels different)--just like the noise in your video. I take it they told you that noise was normal, correct?

Old 04-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

This is true, but my X350 did it automatically and you could hear it activating. On my XKR, when you activate it manually, you can hear it activating (plus the brake pedal feels different)--just like the noise in your video. I take it they told you that noise was normal, correct?
I had 3 x350 too 1 xjr, and a 84 xj6 like yours. 2 xj6 97, and 95 too. total 8 xj and 2 xk.

they said the valves are oxydated? (you know i not that great at translating spanish to english, i m confused with all languages now) they are supposed to close to avoid water in the pipes, he told me they lubricated them and or cleaned them a bit? that it is better, it is true it seems better. Normally there is no valves noise but they tend to after a while... it may work well for years, we will see.
in case they are located at the exit of the silencer, its like 20 cm away from the end of the exhaust from what I could see, I have a page of paper printed to show me what it is about, like always.

Last edited by jagxk2008; 04-18-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rscultho

Rscultho,

what is your gas consummation? I have 16.1 liters.

Last edited by jagxk2008; 04-18-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

I get around 18 miles per gallon city driving...I get about 24 - 25 miles per gallon on highway driving. This is according to the computer in the car...

I don't know what that is per liter...

jagxk2008 (04-18-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

i got my tires changed, I only update the pressure to correct one today. I will see if i like these pirelli, the gum seems good.
i always wanted a v12...

Old 04-30-2013, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

the car was still going on the left lightly after changing the tires.
jaguar said they verified it and t was good but it is the second time they are saying so, and that actually the geometrie place where i took it back again found it was not good. again rear left wheel needed adjustmnents and the front too. They took it under warranty as it was 2 months since i just did the geometrie.

I asked what else it could be that push lightly the car on the left, one said the "rotules" of the car or the suspension bushings, then i am wandering if the dynamic mode to compress the shocks like that, if it could lead to redo the geometrie more often and if it is the cause of the vehicule going lightly on the left, I noticed the other day 4 mm of height different between rear left and rear right, I don't know what is the tolerance on the xk, on the xj , i think it is up to 5 mm? well rear is fine now and maybe 1 mm for the front, it's all fine and the cat has never been so ....clean and ready....

well it was better on my way home after the correct geometie but we have a scotish weather since one week, so, i took it easy.

yes one question, since on the drive mode for snow, since there is a vehicule loosing control drawn there i wander if it is to describe the snow or if actually it disconnect a security dsc control? as it looks like the same drawing as when you disconnect the dsc, i like the snow mode with the rain.

and also, if you have to drive through 4 or 5 bumps to slow you down, you know, you rather not be in dynamic mode then, so you have a smoother suspension and you are putting less stress on the bushings right?

Last edited by jagxk2008; 04-30-2013 at 12:37 PM.