XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is this the obvious cause of wind noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 01:37 AM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Is this the obvious cause of wind noise?

I notice pronounced wind noise from the driver's window direction up above say 65-70 MPH. Passenger side seems quiet by comparison.

I also notice that when I look out my side view mirror that the door itself seems a bit misaligned. Like it is slightly sagging. This in turn causes the window seal to meet the seal on the rear quarter (by the non-operational window in the coupe anyway).

I'm posting some pictures, hopefully you'll be able to see the door line, the crease from the rear quarter panel, not quite coming through and aligning perfectly with the door. Maybe hard to see in these pictures, you tell me... I also included a picture of the passenger side for comparison. Seems much more straight and aligned...

Seems like a radical fix, to remove and re-mount the door, but that's what warranties are for I guess. Any chance that a dealer will say this is within tolerance and deny repairs based on the pics?

Or is this a common occurence? Anyone else suffer wind noise like this? I found one thread with only two posts (one mine) on the topic, so I'm thinking it is not a common problem.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Skeeter

Attached Thumbnails Is this the obvious cause of wind noise?-drivers-closeup.jpg   Is this the obvious cause of wind noise?-driver-closer.jpg   Is this the obvious cause of wind noise?-driver-door-align.jpg   Is this the obvious cause of wind noise?-drivers-alignment.jpg   Is this the obvious cause of wind noise?-passenger-good-align.jpg  

Old 03-09-2012, 06:46 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeeter
I notice pronounced wind noise from the driver's window direction up above say 65-70 MPH. Passenger side seems quiet by comparison.

I also notice that when I look out my side view mirror that the door itself seems a bit misaligned. Like it is slightly sagging. This in turn causes the window seal to meet the seal on the rear quarter (by the non-operational window in the coupe anyway). I also included a picture of the passenger side for comparison. Seems much more straight and aligned...Or is this a common occurence? Anyone else suffer wind noise like this?
Skeeter
Interesting situation; The molding on the passenger side of my XK is misaligned in the exact way as yours. It sort of bothers me since one would think a $90,000.00 car would have had better quality control during production. Frankly, Toyota would have never let a car leave the factory like this.

Having said that, I have the convertible model, which is in my opinion the quietest convertible I have ever been in. Wind noise has never been a problem. If I were you, I would take the car down and have that door looked at.

Please let me know if they will realign the door for you. My car is no longer under factory warranty, so there is really not much I can do about mine. Nonetheless, I never pass up an opportunity to kick myself for things I should have brought a car back for while still covered by the manufacturer.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did you ever get this resolved?

Originally Posted by Stillwaters
Interesting situation; The molding on the passenger side of my XK is misaligned in the exact way as yours. It sort of bothers me since one would think a $90,000.00 car would have had better quality control during production. Frankly, Toyota would have never let a car leave the factory like this.

Having said that, I have the convertible model, which is in my opinion the quietest convertible I have ever been in. Wind noise has never been a problem. If I were you, I would take the car down and have that door looked at.

Please let me know if they will realign the door for you. My car is no longer under factory warranty, so there is really not much I can do about mine. Nonetheless, I never pass up an opportunity to kick myself for things I should have brought a car back for while still covered by the manufacturer.

I have exactly the same problem with mine. right side door slightly out, harsh wind noise over about 70mph rising to what I can only describe as a dying cricket squeal. Saw a video on you tube on adjusting the window slightly to improve seal. Wonder if that might be solution. Adjusting the door sounds problematic...

Old 10-02-2019, 09:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

`

Last edited by rhemler; 10-03-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:30 PM
Received 196 Likes on 125 Posts

i suppose you could put painter's tape over the panel gap where you suspect the noise emanates from, then carefully get in through the passenger side and drive it at speed.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:06 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Or you could have your wife put the tape on after you get seated.

Old 10-04-2019, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Painters tape for sure.

There are also two adjustments at the bottom of the door (under the inner panel) that allow you adjust the "lean" of the glass, both front and rear.
Maybe try a piece of stiff paper, close it in the upper door, and see if it pulls easily or differently front and back?