Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 XK8 Passenger Door Ajar Swith

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 07:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool 02 XK8 Passenger Door Ajar Swith

Hi Everyone:
Just became a member of this forum this evening and already I want something...... When opening passenger side door, courtesy lamp, puddle lamp, dome lamp, and seat controls are all non functioning. This happens whether your entering or exiting passenger side door. When the driver’s door is opened all of the above passenger side items function. The door locks on both doors function normally, so I'm thinking the issue is most likely the passenger door ajar switch within the latch assembly is not functioning so the vehicle thinks the door is closed at all times. I searched JTIS for 2002 XK8 and the following is their documentation how to remove the latch assembly to get to the door ajar switch. Does this sound like it may be the culprit? Any suggestions appreciated!!
Does anyone know what a MS.1540 tool is?

Door Ajar Switch

Turn ignition key to position II.
Motor door glass to fully raised position.
Turn ignition key to position O.
Remove battery cover and disconnect ground cable from battery terminal.
Remove door casing for access.
Remove door primary water shedder.
Position PVC secondary water shedder for access.
Remove door latch assembly.
Slacken and remove latch assembly cover securing screw.
Release cover to latch inner locating boss and remove cover.
Release door ajar switch securing tangs and remove switch from latch assembly.
Remove and discard switch harness securing tape.
Remove harness multiplug pin protector and using special tool MS.1540, release switch terminal pins from multiplug.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

After you open the door and release the handle does the window immediately go back up? That's one of the symptoms of a faulty door ajar switch. Also, if the door is ajar it will give you a warning on the dash. Unless, of course, the switch is faulty.

Here's a video on how to remove the door latch to get to the switch. It's not the easiest thing in the world, but definitely do-able by an amateur if you have the right tools and the time.

Jaguar XK8 Door Latch Removal and Replacement - YouTube

Old 09-17-2011, 07:14 PM

Reverend Sam:
I am in awe of your technical expertise of this vehicles very complicated communication network!

After you open the door and release the handle does the window immediately go back up? Yes, I have to manually lower the passenger door window when I plan on opening the passenger door so it clears the roof.

If the door is ajar it will give you a warning on the dash. Unless, of course, the switch is faulty. I get no warning light when passenger door is open or closed.
I saw a post earlier that suggested spraying WD40 into the door latch while holding open the doors handle. I guess implying that the door ajar switch can sometimes be stuck and in need of some lubrication. Do you see any harm in trying this before I tear my door apart to replace the latch?
Also, if I purchase a latch I need to specify a passenger door side latch, correct?
Thanks much for your response!
Brian

Old 09-17-2011, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, you need to buy a right side latch. The two latches are mirror images of each other.

I bought mine on eBay for $10, but I rarely see them that cheap. Here's one for $180: Jaguar XK8 97-02 Right Passenger Door Latch GJA1080FC | eBay

However, you don't need the whole latch. You just need the microswitch. Someone posted the part number for the microswitch a month or three ago. Just do a search and I'm sure you'll find it. From your description I'm certain that's the problem. I don't think the WD-40 will do any good, but I don't think it will do any harm, either, so go for it.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

I found the thread that has the part number for the switch. The part number is D2SW-3L3MS and you can buy it from mouser.com for about $5 plus shipping. I've bought stuff from mouser before, and their shipping is very reasonable. Now that I think of it, I'm going to buy a switch, replace it in the latch assembly I removed from my car, and sell it on eBay. Mine is for the driver's door, however, so it wouldn't work for your car.

Here's a link to the switch on mouser.com: D2SW-3L3MS Omron Electronics Basic / Snap Action / Limit Switches

If you decide to try to do this on your own, MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY! I nearly got my hand chopped off when it was inside the door and the window started to go down unexpectedly.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:23 AM
Thumbs up

Hi Reverend Sam:

Thanks again for all your efforts . I did find this TSB #501-54 dated 12/04 that indicates the Door Ajar Switch Now Available Separately (Jag part # C2N1908).

Thanks for the info about mouser.com I'll be contacting them soon!

Brian

Old 09-18-2011, 07:43 AM

MICROSWITCH-DOOR AJAR

Jaguar part price $23.11 + S&H, monster lookin real nice!!!

Old 09-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

When I had the door latch on my work bench I found that most of the problems were related to the lack of lubrication and the micro switches worked themselves out of adjustment. If it were me I would try a little WD40 on it first and if that fails then remove it.

This link might help Jaguar Door Latch Repair XK8

Old 09-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Default Thanks Reverend Sam and Gus for the door ajar switch posts!

I got the switch from mouser.com ($4.63 total), took 3 days to get it. I have the Jag Tech Bulletin 501-54 regarding replacement of the door ajar switch, printed the appropriate JTIS pages for each step used to replace this switch.

Gus, I have your door latch repair video bookmarked on my laptop and Reverend Sam I have your video bookmarked too. I am ready to tackle this tomorrow (Sun 9/25).

Reverend Sam, it looks like I won't be dealing with the two rods you had difficulty releasing from your driver’s side door because I'm working on the passenger door. The JTIS shows the steps to remove the door handle and lock barrel operating rods, only if you’re removing the door latch from the driver’s door.

The new switch I bought has 3 wires, red, blue and black. Do these colors match the wire colors of the switch I'm removing? Any advice on how to replace these new wires into the multiplug harness? The JTIS uses terms like multiplug pin protector and using a tool called MS.1540 to release switch terminal pins from multiplug. I'm assuming their referring to getting the old door ajar switch wires out of the multiplug and getting the new door ajar switch wires back into the multiplug.

Again, thanks guys your the best. If you see a carnival red XK8 with the passenger door duct taped closed, honk...it will probably be me

Old 09-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Unhappy

Hi Reverend Sam and Gus:
I made an attempt at replacing the door ajar switch on my 02 XK8 Sunday and had a very difficult day. I spent hours once I had the passenger door casing removed trying to figure out how this new switch was suppose to replace the original one. Once I had the door latch assembly removed it was obvious to me someone had previously had done some kind of repair on the unit. There were large scratches on the outside cover and labels had been partially pulled off. There was no latch assembly cover securing screw. The inner locating boss was the only thing holding the cover on. Once I removed the old switch the white plastic part that looked like it was suppose to side over the red/white button on the switch had fallen out and I found a spring sitting inside the latch assembly cover. The original switch had 2 wires attached to the multiplug, one was a combination of pink and black and the other wire was yellow and blue. The new switch from Mouser Electronics had 3 wires, black, blue and red. The new switch also had a clip on lever attached, but no lever was attached to the original old switch. Instead of messing with the multiplug to attach the 3 new wires into some kind of spliced combination to fit into the two holes the original switch used, I just cut off the original door ajar switch saving as much length of the two original wires as possible so I could easily split the three new wires into the two original wires in as many combinations as possible. I reattached the negative lead to the battery to test. Every combination/configuration I tried attaching 3 wires into 2 wires produced the same result. The passenger window dropped an inch each time I tried a different combination/configuration. At this point I had spent hours trying to get this to work. I finally went to bed frustrated and awoke to a passenger door that needed to be reattached. I did get the door reassembled and both door handles work and lock. Since I don’t have the door ajar switch attached, the window no longer drops then raises when the door handle is released.
At this point I’m clueless what to try next

Old 09-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

You never mention reseting the windows, Anytime the battery is disconnected and then reconnected the windows must be reset by holding down the window down switch until you hear a soft click, then raising the windows and holding the window up switch likewise until you hear a soft click.