Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Odd Door Lock Behavior

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts
Default Odd Door Lock Behavior

My 07 XKR Coupe recently started having odd behavior, which actually was revealed to me when I managed to open my door with my key in the house and had the alarm throw a fit.

Here's the current data:

1. Driver's & Passenger's exterior handle mounted door lock button locks the passenger door and when you *look* at the driver's interior handle from outside, it has indeed gone to the locked position, as has the passenger door. The passenger door is indeed locked, but the driver's door can be opened immediately (I bring the key out of range before trying) and the zany alarm goes off.
2. Pushing in on the passenger interior door handle does induce the locking process and the driver's handle moves inward.
3. Pushing in on the driver interior door handle does NOT induce the locking process and the passenger handle does not move.
4. Pulling on either interior door handle from the locked position does retract both handles to the unlocked position.
5. Using the fob does cause the handles to go to the physical locations expected upon lock and unlock.

It appears what is happening is that the actuator for the handle itself on the driver door handle is working on the cycle to move from unlocked to locked; but something is not actually performing the locking function, just moving the handle and creating the situation where the alarm thinks it is locked. Passenger side is all working as expected. I figure I can look into it with the door panel off this weekend. I normally keep a scan tool and a fairly decent tool kit that I will remove from the car while it does this crap. I ask here for feedback because on pretty much anything, I've never been the first person to have said issue.

Any idea what this shenanigans is?

Old 06-25-2019, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 469 Posts

How is your battery?

Old 06-25-2019, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule

I'm going with a thing-a-ma-jig came loose inside the door that connects the motor to the handle to the latch. Of course this is all conjecture because I haven't looked at the service manual to see how the whole contraption is linkaged. I'd start with the book and report back.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:54 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Awaiting your findings with interest as our 07 has caught this behaviour; got as far as looking for a used lcck mechanism to have ready if/when I get to taking the door apart, but have been procrastinating as usual...
Think the manual says to "replace", but often there could be a creative fix for a handyman, hoping..

Old 06-26-2019, 03:11 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

My '07 has the same flaw. Brutal says it will need a replacement latch assembly.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:25 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

My08 had similar problem turned out to be micro switch that is only sold as part of the door latch mechanism

Old 06-26-2019, 07:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So there is hope, as usual, in 10 yrs or less buying a new ??? from Jaguar may not be an option, while adapting a microswitch from an electonics store might be... I would like to get my hands on a failed lock to do a post mortem and attempt a repair before I get into my door.
Would be happy to pay postage if anyone has one; must be drivers door.
Meanwhile our top has been down since last year, so not too worried about locking. With old pre alarm verts locking them could result in a slashed roof, ouch..

Old 08-21-2019, 08:25 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have noticed the exact same problem on my Jaguar.
Hoping someone here has the definitive answer.

Bob G
Peterborough ON
2007 XK Convertible

Old 08-22-2019, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member

I have bought a used door handle and am going to look at the existing when I pull it. I have been swamped with work so I have not torn off my door panel to play with the existing or put in the new to me one yet. Worst case, I would be willing to send qcktvr my old one if I don't see what's up!

Old 08-22-2019, 07:26 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Here's a thread I started on door handle replacement procedure:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cement-210597/

It includes photos of the internal lastch reinforcement assembly.

Graham

Old 09-12-2020, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar door solution

Originally Posted by 80sRule
My 07 XKR Coupe recently started having odd behavior, which actually was revealed to me when I managed to open my door with my key in the house and had the alarm throw a fit.

Here's the current data:

1. Driver's & Passenger's exterior handle mounted door lock button locks the passenger door and when you *look* at the driver's interior handle from outside, it has indeed gone to the locked position, as has the passenger door. The passenger door is indeed locked, but the driver's door can be opened immediately (I bring the key out of range before trying) and the zany alarm goes off.
2. Pushing in on the passenger interior door handle does induce the locking process and the driver's handle moves inward.
3. Pushing in on the driver interior door handle does NOT induce the locking process and the passenger handle does not move.
4. Pulling on either interior door handle from the locked position does retract both handles to the unlocked position.
5. Using the fob does cause the handles to go to the physical locations expected upon lock and unlock.

It appears what is happening is that the actuator for the handle itself on the driver door handle is working on the cycle to move from unlocked to locked; but something is not actually performing the locking function, just moving the handle and creating the situation where the alarm thinks it is locked. Passenger side is all working as expected. I figure I can look into it with the door panel off this weekend. I normally keep a scan tool and a fairly decent tool kit that I will remove from the car while it does this crap. I ask here for feedback because on pretty much anything, I've never been the first person to have said issue.

did you find that the door latch mechanism replacement fixed the issue? My 07 is doing the same thing. Thanks.

Old 09-13-2020, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by David Maddux
did you find that the door latch mechanism replacement fixed the issue? My 07 is doing the same thing. Thanks.
yes it did! I bought the used one and it worked great.

Old 09-13-2020, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I have the same problem as described in my 2010 XKR, so I guess off to the local Jaguar wrecker I go.
Thanks for the info.