XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Overhead Console Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 11:36 AM
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Overhead Console Removal

Need to pull down overhead console on my '12 XKR Coupe. Have tried firm pulling pressure on back edge (side furthest away from windshield) and thin, wide, plastic tool to pry off headliner. Both techniques proved unsuccessful. It feels like I'm fighting the clips. Afraid I am doing something wrong and don't want to damage things using "gorilla" strength. Do I need to press the clips inward to release from headliner or is there another 'trick" to doing this? Help please! I know many of you have done this.

Directions from the workshop manual are vague at best:
1. Remove the front overhead console.
- Release from the 6 clips.
- Disconnect the electrical connector.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes you are doing the right thing , I prised off the overhead console with a wide flat blade screwdriver on my (now sold) 2007 4.2 XKR coupe last year to fit white LEDs for the centre light and the side map lights. I'm also going to do the same on my new 2014 coupe which still has the same feeble yellowish filament bulbs. Although the covering is now black suedecloth (as Jag call it) the base of the roof lining is still the same composite and the console is exactly the same as the 2007 model, so just go for it, the clips and roof lining will flex enough to the console loose.
I have a new set of LEDs so I will let you know how I get on , hopefully it'll be done by the end of the week. And I'll take a photo of the console hanging down, (if I remember to take the camera out to the garage!).

The following users liked this post:
guy (11-17-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 02:17 PM

Dear GRtShrk
I took some photos this evening in the garage. I used 2 plastic bicycle tyre levers to pull down the console plastic shell slightly away from the hedlining, then got my fingers in the gap along the back edge and just pulled down. The console then just comes away from the base housing and hangs off the wiring loom. Then I replaced the filament bulbs with white LEDS for the map lights and the centre light. Not sure how to post the pics on the website, but my email is iangardn@gmail.com if you want me to send any. Hope this helps and good luck - Ian

Old 11-19-2014, 08:59 PM
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey Ian,

Thank you for the replies! I will give it another try and use a bit more force (without fear of snapping something) this time.

No need for a picture on this one but we all might want to see what the new bulbs you just installed do for the car and a link to where you purchased them if you are willing to share.

Bob

Old 11-22-2014, 03:26 PM

Bob
have a look on following link, hope it works - you will see the new LEDS in the over head console , I also have done the same in the footwells (note one white and one blue at present ), and in the boot (trunk)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxtl5rt3kn...hotos.zip?dl=0

On ebay.co.uk you will find the LEDs under things like 'Jaguar interior LEDs', no doubt a search of ebay.com in the US will find similar items

Specifically the LEDs in the console map lights and the footwells are 501,W5W,T10 type

1x White Interior Courtesy Light LED [501,W5W,T10] High Power Upgrade Bulb ACE7 | eBay

The main light in the console I couldn't source , but a 42mm festoon LED will fit
2x 41mm 42mm INTERIOR LIGHT FESTOON BULB 6 LED 12v WHITE 239 272 NUMBER PLATE | eBay

In the boot they are 38 mm festoon LED, I put blue ones in as well

1x Blue Interior Courtesy Light LED [F5,C5W,38mm Festoon] Upgrade Bulb ACE1 | eBay

Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
GrtShrk (11-25-2014)