XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Picked up a GT!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 07:23 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

To order it you will have to provide the VIN of the car, and probably the pictures of the damaged one, it's a restricted supply part, cannot be sold without evidence of ownership, and need for replacement.

Just about any JLR dealer or parts reseller could sell it to you, so long as you provide the evidence, which you clearly have.

SNG Barratt are a forum sponsor and offer a forum discount, you'll have to mention that when you enquire though.

If it were me I would remove the front splitter from the car for shipping, box it up and send it separately. If it's going roll-on roll-off, chances are it would get damaged further. Maybe even remove the rear wing and rear diffuser too, for similar reasons.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Looks like that was two pieces at some point of the manufacture, no?

Old 10-18-2017, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

I read somewhere that the splitter for the XKR-S was like $4000 Australian and that they are prone to cracking if they are scraped. It might be cheaper to have one fabricated from scratch.

Yes I've spent several weeks in Tokyo over the years, lovely people though maybe nicer as a visitor than to live there? My favorite place near Tokyo is Enoshima, we have finished our last couple of trips with a few nights at Iwamotoro Honkan there, just awesome.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:52 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Love Tokyo,
I've travelled pretty extensively and it's my favourite place in the world. No idea why anyone wouldn't want to live here...unless you just don't like cities I suppose.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:08 AM

Good news! The seller is sending the splitter off for repairs out of their own pocket.

Unrelated question:
I've seen the suspension several times refereed to as "adjustable". Does that mean it is actually different components from the R-S? I assumed it was just the same components, more damped.

If adjustable, does that mean height or damping? What's involved in adjusting it?
Cheers!

Old 10-21-2017, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Dylan Bigg
Love Tokyo,
I've travelled pretty extensively and it's my favourite place in the world. No idea why anyone wouldn't want to live here...unless you just don't like cities I suppose.
Back in my working days I enjoyed my trips to Tokyo and Kyoto . I must have made 40 trips in the 5-6 years we were dealing with Japanese semiconductor suppliers. Would always get wined and dined and had been in many karaoke and dinner clubs like the Esquire. Also had the opportunity to be served by the iron chef Saki at his restaurant. Then the clubs in Roppongi where a lot of fun from what I could remember after a night of Saki. Then the golf outside of tokyo was an interesting experience. Great times to remember but looking back I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:10 PM

Was it a while ago? I imagine Tokyo of the 80s/early 90s was a very different beast.

I have always been more city than country, and the more I travel to other global metropolises, the more I marvel at how Tokyo can exist on such a scale while retaining such order, cleanliness and courtesy. It's just perfect for me.

The shopping and food are pretty much the best in the world, things are affordably priced (compared to Australia), it's a developed nation that has (so-far) managed to avoid the PC nanny-state nonsense that's infected the west...I could go on.

Also doesn't hurt that I find the Japanese people/language to be the most aesthetically pleasing in the world I suppose!

Old 10-21-2017, 08:11 PM

Another one for Cambo I guess:

I've sourced an R-S CF engine cover (for display purposes). Will it even attach? When they decided to leave the engine naked, did they also remove whatever it fastens to?

Cheers!

Old 10-21-2017, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

Agreed on the people and food in Japan, that is why we go back every year. you really notice the lack of manners in Oz when you come back - people yapping away at full bore about personal business on their phones etc, though I'm noticing the youngerJapanese are gradually changing themselves, and with a lot of asian tourists there these days it is a lot different to how it was 10 years ago.

I've only seen one other XK over there - a lovely silver one at a house in Karuizawa. Yours will definitely stand out.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Dylan Bigg
Was it a while ago? I imagine Tokyo of the 80s/early 90s was a very different beast.

I have always been more city than country, and the more I travel to other global metropolises, the more I marvel at how Tokyo can exist on such a scale while retaining such order, cleanliness and courtesy. It's just perfect for me.

The shopping and food are pretty much the best in the world, things are affordably priced (compared to Australia), it's a developed nation that has (so-far) managed to avoid the PC nanny-state nonsense that's infected the west...I could go on.

Also doesn't hurt that I find the Japanese people/language to be the most aesthetically pleasing in the world I suppose!
I guess for me I can sum it up in a few words. I don't eat fish. Time frame was 95 - 01. Agree it is clean and the woman know their place in their society . Prices were high especially in the major cities. Granted it is a unique country but as far as I am concerned there is no place with as much opportunity and wealth along with any material goods that you want or can afford than the USA. And all at reasonable prices. Sorry about high jacking this thread.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:48 PM

I don't eat fish either
Bruce - you see them around. Jags are about as common as say, Citroen or Peugeot I guess. You see far more now with the F-Pace. I wanted The Committee (wife) to get an F-pace, but it won't fit in the parking machine in our unit.

The cars you see here though...oh man. Such variety, so many classics, hypercars, etc. Much more interesting car landscape than say Dubai. Saw a guy driving an Alfa 8c and another guy driving an Alfa SZ in the one day last week...

Karuizawa is nice. I'm currently building in Naka-Meguro though!

Old 10-21-2017, 10:41 PM

The GT spring/shock assembly is different to regular R-S, different part numbers anyhow, as far as adjustment I don't really know the details, it does appear that they function with the same sort of continiously variable dampening like the regular cars, so maybe it's a ride height adjustment?

Regarding the engine cover, i'd say that the mounting studs will be missing, but you can get these as spares, p/n C2P17121, need four of them.

Picked up a GT!-pb11444.jpg

What is the p/n of the engine cover you got? There are two versions for the 5.0L XKR-S, up to VIN B53330 is C2P23378, from VIN B53331 is C2P25320, don't ask me what the difference is between them LOL, but the 1st one is not superceded, so there must be a difference...

Last edited by Cambo; 10-21-2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:59 PM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Good morning from Europa,

here you can buy a cheep GT

https://www.autoscout24.de/angebote/...a12?cldtidx=16

Old 10-22-2017, 01:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Originally Posted by thocar
Good morning from Europa,

here you can buy a cheep GT

https://www.autoscout24.de/angebote/...a12?cldtidx=16
Dang, $94k US is CHEEEEEPPPPP

Old 10-22-2017, 01:20 AM

This is the second and last one on autoscout24

https://www.autoscout24.de/angebote/...a2b?cldtidx=17

Old 10-22-2017, 03:26 AM

Yeah, something is up with that. That's WAY too cheap, and it's US spec. Shouldn't it be UK spec?

Old 10-22-2017, 03:30 AM

I asked for details, because I am really interested - better value than money at the bank.

We will see, I am looking forward to the answer

Old 10-22-2017, 03:32 AM

He'd have to come back with "come have a test drive and here's it's full ownership history and sure by all means have an independent shop evaluate it" for me to trust that...

Old 10-22-2017, 04:37 AM

Those ones on autoscout do appear to me to be US-spec imports.

As far as I know there were no LHD GT's built for European markets, only North America.

The pictures are pretty crap, but the 2nd one appears to have a MPH speedometer, in LHD that can only be North American...

Old 10-22-2017, 05:14 AM

Yeah, it's got the US interior too. Very dodgey...