XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Portfolio Alcon brakes installation question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 08:41 AM
Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
Thanks again for all of your help. The installation went well and the brakes function brilliantly.

Now I am ready to do the park brakes. I did find a set of used ones from an Aston, they should be an exact fit, correct? However I have not yet located the needed brackets.

EDIT: meant to ask, for the park brakes & brackets, do I need to order all new bolts as noted in your parts list (caliper to bracket and bracket to hub & tierod) or will I be reusing any?
Do you have a picture of the calipers? If you also know the bolt spacing I could confirm. So far as I'm aware the brackets are NLA from jaguar but TL jaguar sell copies as they've tooled up to make these. ( I do have a spare set of these)

For the bolts you'd need one longer one for each rear hub as one has to pass through the bracket into the wheel bearing, bracket thickness approx 5mm. Standard bolt easily found though.

The tie rod bolt is as standard fitted with the bolt head downwards and the nut on the bottom.
With the Alcon bracket fitted the bolt is turned upside down and put through the tie rod and hub from the bottom. And the park brake caliper bracket is threaded to accept this.
I used thread lock on these bolts. ( torque spec in the manual)

Hope this helps

The following 2 users liked this post by SimonXJ:
jahummer (01-20-2017), Panthro (01-22-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonXJ
Do you have a picture of the calipers? If you also know the bolt spacing I could confirm. So far as I'm aware the brackets are NLA from jaguar but TL jaguar sell copies as they've tooled up to make these. ( I do have a spare set of these)

For the bolts you'd need one longer one for each rear hub as one has to pass through the bracket into the wheel bearing, bracket thickness approx 5mm. Standard bolt easily found though.

The tie rod bolt is as standard fitted with the bolt head downwards and the nut on the bottom.
With the Alcon bracket fitted the bolt is turned upside down and put through the tie rod and hub from the bottom. And the park brake caliper bracket is threaded to accept this.

Hope this helps
I have already ordered a set of the Aston calipers, they appear to be correct Rear Right Passenger Parking Brake Caliper & Bracket Aston Martin V8 Vantage 07 | eBay

I ordered all new bolts and the brackets from Jaguar but it may be a few weeks before they arrive from the UK.

I assume you meant Tom Lenthall? If I can get the brackets faster and less costly, I would be interested. Thank you very much!

Old 01-20-2017, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member

Hope this helps
I have already ordered a set of the Aston calipers, they appear to be correct Rear Right Passenger Parking Brake Caliper & Bracket Aston Martin V8 Vantage 07

I ordered all new bolts and the brackets from Jaguar but it may be a few weeks before they arrive from the UK.

I assume you meant Tom Lenthall? If I can get the brackets faster and less costly, I would be interested. Thank you very much!

Old 01-23-2017, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

Heard back from TL Jaguar and they no longer have stock nor do they have the tooling for them anymore. He also noted they no longer sell Alcon as they are prone to seizing.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:57 AM

Heard back from TL Jaguar and they no longer have stock nor do they have the tooling for them anymore. He also noted they no longer sell Alcon as they are prone to seizing.
That's a shame to hear. He did say he was moving away from them but as you've found out there's a wide range of pads available and floating discs to go to a full race set up. Should you so wish.
One thing to check is that jaguar actually have the brackets. I was told that one side is in stock and the other is on back order. Considering they are cast iron they'll be on back order forever.... if you can't get them from jaguar let me know I could sell my TL brackets to you...

The following users liked this post:
jahummer (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

That's a shame to hear. He did say he was moving away from them but as you've found out there's a wide range of pads available and floating discs to go to a full race set up. Should you so wish.
One thing to check is that jaguar actually have the brackets. I was told that one side is in stock and the other is on back order. Considering they are cast iron they'll be on back order forever.... if you can't get them from jaguar let me know I could sell my TL brackets to you...
I appreciate that. They are supposed to be here this week from Baginton. If it fails for some reason, I'll let you know. As for pads & rotors, I have AP rings/Spires hats for the front & Pagid RS29 pads, for the rear, Ferodo OE pads and Alcon/Jaguar rotors.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

One thing to check is that jaguar actually have the brackets. I was told that one side is in stock and the other is on back order. Considering they are cast iron they'll be on back order forever.....
Weird thing is only one of the brackets showed up today, C2P14734, though they claim the other is in transit from Honeybourne.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:18 AM

Weird thing is only one of the brackets showed up today, C2P14734, though they claim the other is in transit from Honeybourne.
Hopefully you'll receive it! Fingers crossed.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Just as an FYI, there's a few stainless steel piston rebuild kits for the Alcons that's supposed to prevent the seizing problem.

jahummer (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Panthro
Just as an FYI, there's a few stainless steel piston rebuild kits for the Alcons that's supposed to prevent the seizing problem.
I have seen both stainless and titanium Alcon pistons. Not certain what mine are made of. The doner car had over 70K miles but the calipers were in surprisingly good condition. The pistons were a bright shiny silver metal and rust free but did have what appeared to be some black tarnish which rubbed off and a bit of pad lube/pad dust caked on, the EBC yellow pads were still on them but I tossed those.

I googled Alcon seized calipers and saw some fairly horrific pics and read some threads about others' experiences, particularly Evos which outside the US were spec'd with the same calipers, but not sure how they let them get to that condition.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

Hopefully you'll receive it! Fingers crossed.
Bracket arrived!

Attached Thumbnails Portfolio Alcon brakes installation question-img_0407.jpg  

Last edited by jahummer; 01-27-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, double checked all parts and fitment appears to be correct, including the Aston Martin sourced calipers. However I am stuck on removing the hub bolt past the ABS speed sensor gear on the axle due to the molded washer on the bolt. What am I missing?

Panthro (02-09-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 03:16 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

It looks to me that you need to remove the whole hub carrier in one piece off the axle and wishbones, then you can get those four bolts out...

Portfolio Alcon brakes installation question-screen-shot-01-28-17-08.15-am.jpg

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
jahummer (01-27-2017), Panthro (01-28-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
It looks to me that you need to remove the whole hub carrier in one piece off the axle and wishbones, then you can get those four bolts out...

Attachment 141961
Only need to remove the one bolt for the caliper bracket. It would suck to have to disassemble and strip down the entire rear end just for 1 bolt on each side

Old 01-27-2017, 06:00 PM

Well, stranger things have happened, like having to remove the whole intake, throttle body, supercharger and intercooler, to change a fuel injector...

Old 01-27-2017, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member

Here's a pic of the bolt. Perhaps I could just loosen all of the knuckle to hub bolts to give a little more play to get it out and new one in or would the upper and lower control arms prevent any knuckle movement?

Attached Thumbnails Portfolio Alcon brakes installation question-img_0410.jpg  
Old 01-27-2017, 11:24 PM

You're gonna have to get the axle spline out of the hub to get the bolt head away from the toothed wheel speed sensor reluctor, so as I imagine it you will have to unbolt the hub carrier from the wishbones in order to get enough movement...

jahummer (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Not an optimum solution, but how about grinding or cutting off part of the flange on one edge, just enough to clear the teeth? Or just a knotch in it to clear the one or two teeth in the way?

jahummer (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 03:51 AM

At this point I'd agree with Cambo on the next steps, when I did it I bolted the brackets to the hubs off the car, as I'd changed the wheel bearings at the same time, but even removing the hub nut and then the tie rod bolt in combination with the upper ball joint should allow enough movement to get the axle splines out far enough to remove the bolt.
Hope this helps

The following 2 users liked this post by SimonXJ:
jahummer (01-28-2017), Panthro (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
You're gonna have to get the axle spline out of the hub to get the bolt head away from the toothed wheel speed sensor reluctor, so as I imagine it you will have to unbolt the hub carrier from the wishbones in order to get enough movement...
Oh, well, duh...and ugh...

Quick Reply: Portfolio Alcon brakes installation question