Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pulled the trigger on an R-S...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 07:29 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pulled the trigger on an R-S...

Hey Guys,

Not been too active on the boards lately thanks to a hectic working schedule. Nevertheless, i have always been lurking and keeping up with the updates.

I got a call from my Jag dealer to check up on me and the XKR.. They are working on forming a Jaguar Sports Car club for XK and F-Type owners to organise meets, drives and track sessions which i find very interesting since there are only a handful of local owners...

We got onto discussing the upcoming R Coupe and Jaguar killing of the XK range (which is very sad IMO).. Out of curiosity, i asked if they had any XKR-S' in stock, he told me he only had one stealth black edition which was driven by their GM.. The vehicle was in service then and he promised to give me a call to check it out when it's done..

A few days later i got a call from my service advisor telling me that the leaky driver side weatherstrip replacement i had previously ordered for my XKR had arrived and asked that i drop the vehicle off.. I did that evening and saw a the stunning black XKR-S sitting in the parking lot awaiting delivery and i was sold. Turns out that was the vehicle the sales manager was telling me about a few days earlier.

Took a short test drive around the block and fell in love, the R-S is such a character, everything about it from the seats, exhaust note, driving feel, and performance. The vehicle is a 2012 and had around 800 miles on the clock.

Jaguar gave me a deal i couldn't reject, they practically payed me 95% of the price i payed for my XKR 6 months ago, and $20K off the XKR-S' price. I payed a $43K difference between the two and walked away with the R-S. The price i payed may sound like quite a bit for you guys but lets not forget the XKR-S cost $170,000 here and i bought my R for $68,500 6 months earlier so i technically for the R-S for around $110k (subtracting usage of the R i traded which was a 2011 w/6K miles on the clock). The only sad thing is that i had just payed $2200 to extend my warrantee until Nov 2017 2 weeks before trading up.

I did not even consider the R-S and was very satisfied with my R before i got that damn call.. Having said that, i have no regrets what so ever.. I am truly satisfied with the purchase...

I'll leave you with the pictures... Two small issues happened from the time i signed the paperwork and the time i picked up the R-S.. A hater (or avid fan who couldn't afford the R-S take your pick) used a screw driver or a key to break the R-S emblem from the grille.. He tried to remove the rear emblem too but only manage to damage the top of the letter S on the trunk You can see the R-S on the grille missing in the pics attached.

The second thing is that the dealer hit the front carbon fibre splitter on the ramp as he reversed the car out of the showroom and cracked it in two places :'( - They didn't do anything about the two issues but they gave me a free service, a detail job, and around $3000 back in cash which i felt was fair (until i found out what the price of the splitter was )

I'm surprised how much of a big deal it is to order the R-S badges, Jaguar want pictures, a copy of the title deed, and proof of ownership to send replacements out.. At the same time it's also somewhat cool that they want to protect the R-S' exclusivity but i will not sleep properly at night until they arrive

Yesterday i took a long drive and managed to push the R-S a little.. Tons of fun but i noticed the shift from 3rd to 4th is somewhat laggy and harsh.. Definitely don't feel normal - yet, i watched a few WOTs on youtube and noticed that they all seem laggy in that specific gear.. I hope some owners would provide info on this before i send it to the dealership.

Sorry for the long post as usual.. Enjoy the pics; looking forward to your remarks

Last pic is an F-Type V8S a drove.. What a joy, possibly one of the most fun and exciting cars i ever drove.. Its a go cart yet too small for me; i felt the XK was more me and a lot more unique.. it was sad to see my old R parked for sale again

Attached Thumbnails Pulled the trigger on an R-S...-img_20140407_173242.jpg   Pulled the trigger on an R-S...-img_20140407_173208.jpg   Pulled the trigger on an R-S...-img_20140408_113734.png   Pulled the trigger on an R-S...-img-20140316-wa001.jpg   Pulled the trigger on an R-S...-img-20140317-wa004.jpg  

Pulled the trigger on an R-S...-img-20140317-wa005.jpg   Pulled the trigger on an R-S...-img_20140410_082512.jpg   Pulled the trigger on an R-S...-img_20140408_203057.jpg   Pulled the trigger on an R-S...-img-20140316-wa003.jpg  
Old 04-11-2014, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

Well welcome to the club and enjoy. Here in the US you have to have ***** to "really" go from 3rd to 4th under full acceleration as you are in reckless driving territory in most states but I will pay attention to it next time ... breaking the law, breaking the law .....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...egistry-97446/

check this thread out.

The following users liked this post:
maldweik (04-11-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 08:00 AM
Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Congrats! Its a great looking car!

maldweik (04-11-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Schwabe
Well welcome to the club and enjoy. Here in the US you have to have ***** to "really" go from 3rd to 4th under full acceleration as you are in reckless driving territory in most states but I will pay attention to it next time ... breaking the law, breaking the law .....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...egistry-97446/

check this thread out.
Okay i believe its second to third the shift i'm not liking slightly demonstrated in this vid -

Not that i didn't reach 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th

I have been lurking the R-S Registry but thought i'd post a separate thread first..

Thanks for the warm welcome man

Just for the record, i don't break the law but it only exists to me when i face a speed trap - J/K i was being safe

Old 04-11-2014, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member

Not saying you are, not saying that I am. I am originally from Germany and the fastest I drove in Europe was 186. Here in the US I only hit 175 at a standing mile event when the runway ran out. Running third gear out to redline in the US on public roads is not "recommended" but certainly could be done in rural areas.

I do not know the speed limits in your country but I am sure you have some deserted roads with no traffic to play a little.

Last edited by Schwabe; 04-11-2014 at 09:36 AM.
maldweik (04-13-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

I would definitely get the RS on the back. I actually think it looks MUCH cleaner without the RS on the front...MUCH BETTER!!! My XKR has no XK or learper on the black...just the R...and I like having a car everybody wants and nobody knows what it is!!!!

consider taking the RS off, and drop the XK - just a leaper on the back is pretty sweet if ya ask me

Loth

maldweik (04-13-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 09:47 AM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

The second thing is that the dealer hit the front carbon fibre splitter on the ramp as he reversed the car out of the showroom and cracked it in two places :'( - They didn't do anything about the two issues but they gave me a free service, a detail job, and around $3000 back in cash which i felt was fair (until i found out what the price of the splitter was )
Yah, those are really fragile. Check out my thread below regarding a replacement at a more reasonable cost...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...litter-113429/

Congrats on your new car!

Rich

maldweik (04-13-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Also THEY need to fix that front splitter and install it... C'Mon man!!!

Old 04-11-2014, 10:35 AM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

Congrats on the R-S....! Dealer cracked my splitter too during an alignment and they had it replaced. It is an expensive part for sure. You can get one from Mina gallery for much less.

I haven't noticed anything wrong with my shifts but I always drive in dynamic mode and sport mode, so maybe that is where the difference is. I always use the paddles...its a habit and I find the driving experience much more enjoyable. The only automatic I drive is my truck.

I will say I had an XF for a loaner car while they fixed my splitter, and I was not impressed with the 8 speed and how it felt compared to my R-S...It was a night and day difference. The R-S feels so much tighter (and it should) than the XF. Its such an unbelievable contrast. I drove my car in to work today with the top down and it felt great.

Can you tell the difference in feel between your XKR and the R-S? I would be interested to hear your opinion.

The following 2 users liked this post by Matt in Houston:
maldweik (04-13-2014), Schwabe (04-11-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Matt in Houston
Congrats on the R-S....! Dealer cracked my splitter too during an alignment and they had it replaced. It is an expensive part for sure. You can get one from Mina gallery for much less.

I haven't noticed anything wrong with my shifts but I always drive in dynamic mode and sport mode, so maybe that is where the difference is. I always use the paddles...its a habit and I find the driving experience much more enjoyable. The only automatic I drive is my truck.

I will say I had an XF for a loaner car while they fixed my splitter, and I was not impressed with the 8 speed and how it felt compared to my R-S...It was a night and day difference. The R-S feels so much tighter (and it should) than the XF. Its such an unbelievable contrast. I drove my car in to work today with the top down and it felt great.

Can you tell the difference in feel between your XKR and the R-S? I would be interested to hear your opinion.

DITTOOOOooooo .... bad boy Friday in with the XKR-S like Flint .... so they can hear when I LEAVE FOR THE WEEKEND .....

Matt in Houston (04-11-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 11:29 AM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

Have to take advantage while its still cool outside! H-Town will bake you in the summer.

Not looking forward to that, but hey that's what pools and lakes are for.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:36 AM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

Here is a splitter I found on Ebay UK for 695 pounds.

Genuine Jaguar XKRS XKR-S Front Bumper Carbon Fibre Splitter C2P21946 | eBay

maldweik (04-13-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Nice car - "sweet as", to use a Kiwi phrase. You need to get somewhere that you can wind it out to the max; I've done it on the autobahn, but that's a bit of a schlep from Qatar

Regarding the poor change - does it do it in both D & S, and in manual as well as auto?

maldweik (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 08:11 AM

Thank you for all the replies gentlemen (and ladies if any

To answer a few questions:-

Schwabe:-
We have quite a few of deserted desert roads, the purticular one i tested the R-S on was a newly layed 4 lane, completely Lit stretch of asphalt.. Very safe, only it is loaded with speed traps with hefty fines if your not careful. The totally deserted roads are not as safe for high speed testing.. I got the portion of adrenalin required and tested the car enough - for now haha.

Lothar:-
I've been thinking about your idea and am begining to lean towards it; It's actually pretty cool especially in this part of the world since the streets are plaged with German competitors to the XK, not many know what it is.. it will also save me the trouble of ordering the emblems . I'm thinking of removing the remains from the front grille, blacking out the XK badge on the rear and leaving the R-S, and the Jagual Logo untouched on the rear. Atleast a temporary solution until i get the badges if i decided i want to go back to stock.. Post picks of your setup . Regarding the dealership replacing the splitter.. Forget about it, i already had them majorly drop the price to an extend the trade was a financial risk on their side (leaning towards a loss - or so they said), they will not budge on getting the items repaired so i need to live with the half arsed detail job and the free B-service .

I'm not too bothered about the splitter at this point, when i get home i'll take some pics of the damage and post it, I looked at Mina Gallery for replacements and read through the fix threads out there but am not leaning towards a replacement since it's bound to get bumped and scraped here and there, i'll only think of a replacement if it gets bad, for now, a carbon fiber repair job may sort out the issue.

LEUZ - Great find, i was actually looking at that when i heard about the damage and was thinking its toooo good of a price; started questioning the legitmacy of originality or the credibility of the seller as a whole haha. I'm sure its legit though, just a very decent price.

Matt - Honestly, initially i was thinking i'm paying the price of a new loaded truck as a trade on practically the same car and was skeptic throughout the trade but having driven it around a few times and pushed it a little, the difference is night and day.. The R-S feels alot more special, it runs circles around the regular R (not exhaggerating, the difference in handling IS REALLY that big), and looks alot nicer (IMO atleast). I had no complaints on the R but noticed how much i was missing out on with the R-S, i love the drive, the seats, the steering feel, and that exhaust note especially in Dynamic Mode. It is considerably stiffer than the R but still livable. I have no regrets and would recommend the upgrade to anyone in debate.

Ngarara - Now that you ask, the hard shift is noticed in all three modes, D, S, and manual but could be reduced a little in manual if you shift closer to redline without bumping of the limiter. I really feel like having it looked at, something doesn't feel right, could be a simple TCM remap solution which i'd rather look into before damaging some major components.

Thanks again for all the kind words and your support guys.

Mo

Matt in Houston (04-13-2014)