Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question for the group on a HUD experiment

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts
Default Question for the group on a HUD experiment

I should say possible experiment. I like the concept of a heads up display and there are a lot of aftermarket ones available.

Issue for me is that they are a bit bulky and cheesy sitting on the dash of any car. So what if you could conceal it?

The question is for those who've removed enough of the dash to spare me the work. See the attached. With this gauge hump (I'm guessing there's a real name for it) removed, how much room is behind the gauge cluster, if any and in the second pic, from the large piece of paper, that says "body number" on it - downward ( the lower slope that flows to the windscreen), what if anything fills that void?

My thought is to install a HUD within the gauge hump with a cover that matches the dash to slide under the hump and expose the HUD.

Much to think about for me as to whether I want to take this on but I know a lot of you have removed or had your dash removed and others removed the gauge cluster, so first things first, how much room would you speculate from memory is in there?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Question for the group on a HUD experiment-s-l1600.jpg   Question for the group on a HUD experiment-s-l1601.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,159 Likes on 3,090 Posts

^^^^ That may be a good idea! . . I'd also run a switch concealed somewhere to turn it off under some situations.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

The cluster for the most part, it (the cluster) is not that hard to remove if you want to see for your self. Guess it would also depend on how much room the HUD needs. Interesting idea though.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

The actual units are fairly tiny and should be a fairly simple install. I'd personally buy a new/used/salvage dash part to cut up and fit the unit, saving the original for whatever reason.

Sean W (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

giving it a little more thought, these are designed to lay flat on the dash. I'm going to have to write a few manufacturers and see

A: how far away from the windshield will still enable s clear projection

B: must it lay flat to prevent distortion?

Old 02-14-2017, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Interesting thought. My guess is there could be a lot of takers if not too expensive and relatively easy to install.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I think that you might have to put some film on the windscreen to allow the reflection.

We have a factory HUD in the XE (they only come where the car is fitted with solar attenuating glass). I'd have to say it is pretty handy and nowhere near as distracting as I thought it would be (I tend to focus on smudges on the windscreen which can me a massive nuisance), though you cant see much if you are wearing polaroids.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I think that you might have to put some film on the windscreen to allow the reflection.

We have a factory HUD in the XE (they only come where the car is fitted with solar attenuating glass). I'd have to say it is pretty handy and nowhere near as distracting as I thought it would be (I tend to focus on smudges on the windscreen which can me a massive nuisance), though you cant see much if you are wearing polaroids.
Thanks Bruce. Yes I would add the reflective screen on to the windshield.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

The HUDs I've looked at are very bright during the day, and are quite easy to see even on a sunny day without any special coating or film. They have an auto-dimming feature for night. Try putting your phone with Torque on the dash, full screen brightness (which isn't much) and it's fairly clear, albeit upside down or backwards.

Sean W (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

If you use, or install a HUD with a regular standard windshield there is a strong possibility the display in the windshield will be dim and distorted (double or blurred).

Before going through all the work, buying parts and making modifications to your Jaguar, I suspect it would be wise to consult a windshield expert. There are lots of related articles about HUD and having a broken or damaged windshield and replacing it with a regular standard glass windshield.

A proper HUD windshield will cost up to $200 more to replace vs standard glass. Be sure to complete your due diligence before proceeding on the modification.

Last edited by richzak; 02-14-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Sean W (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

Buy a cheap one, stick it on top of your dash and see what you think. They start right around $20 so if you don't like it, chuck it. No big deal.

Sean W (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

I wish there was a way to integrate into a HUD an automatic rear-view camera display and a toggle switch to display the gauges the factory forgot by using the Torque app . That would kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, and our prayers would be answered.

Sean W (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
If you use, or install a HUD with a regular standard windshield there is a strong possibility the display in the windshield will be dim and distorted (double or blurred).

Before going through all the work, buying parts and making modifications to your Jaguar, I suspect it would be wise to consult a windshield expert. There are lots of related articles about HUD and having a broken or damaged windshield and replacing it with a regular standard glass windshield.

A proper HUD windshield will cost up to $200 more to replace vs standard glass. Be sure to complete your due diligence before proceeding on the modification.

Thank you for the heads up and the advice Richard. That's a new one for me, but I've just begun reading up on the HUDs. Initially focusing on fitment and readouts. If I were to undertake the project, I have to be able to customize the screen as they typically have multiple screens, each with it's own set of features. I will have it recessed and given our dash layout, switching screens would need to be remote or customizable. Nothing I've seen thus far even remotely addresses these issues so I may never get to the windscreen.

Last edited by Sean W; 02-14-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Buy a cheap one, stick it on top of your dash and see what you think. They start right around $20 so if you don't like it, chuck it. No big deal.
Agreed Cee Jay.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I wish there was a way to integrate into a HUD an automatic rear-view camera display and a toggle switch to display the gauges the factory forgot by using the Torque app . That would kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, and our prayers would be answered.
I'll look into that too. Low probability but the ultimate goal. Tech is catching up.

Stuart S (02-15-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak

I had a loaner car a few months ago with a factory HUD and the windshield indeed was unique in the area where the image was reflected, providing optimal brightness and contrast. You could tell because as soon as you moved off axis from the treated spot on the windshield, the display immediately looked the way a regular dash reflection appears, washed out and faint.

EDIT: Don't most of the kits come with a bit on tinted material to placed on the inside of the windshield?

Sean W (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jahummer

EDIT: Don't most of the kits come with a bit on tinted material to placed on the inside of the windshield?
Yes they do and there are high quality versions and low quality. The good news is they're sold as a standalone product too.

I've watched a multitude of videos. Most are poor in the daylight but it has a great deal to do with the quality of the plastic masted to the windshield, in addition to the brightness that the unit give off. They have to reach a balance. Too bright at night is a distraction. Some advertise auto dimming at night but the daytime is still too poor.

So far, I don't like what I'm seeing on the market. Having so many screens in these units that you have to scroll will not work for our purposes. None appear to be customizable. The unit is out of reach and would be recessed. I need one or two screens and will have to find a way to toggle them as Stuart suggests. I came across one that had OBD2 and GPS (two displays but I can't find it again.)

Last edited by Sean W; 02-15-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:47 AM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I just ordered a gauge hump & will modify it for the HUD unit. It will probably take me a few weeks to get the project going as i'm in the process of moving. I'll post some pics when I'm finished.

The following 3 users liked this post by Rick7311:
LoudHogRider (03-09-2017), ralphwg (02-16-2017), Sean W (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rick7311
I just ordered a gauge hump & will modify it for the HUD unit. It will probably take me a few weeks to get the project going as i'm in the process of moving. I'll post some pics when I'm finished.
Thanks. We'll wait for the pics and the how to's:-)

Old 03-07-2017, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

Any updates on this Rick?