Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Recommend OBD dongle and App for iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Like this?

Mine is a PANLONG, but I bought it about 3-4 years ago. I don't know what they go for now, but still not pricey at all.

The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (08-29-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member
Old 08-29-2018, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Like this?

Mine is a PANLONG, but I bought it about 3-4 years ago. I don't know what they go for now, but still not pricey at all.
explain how to do this, please?

Old 08-29-2018, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
explain how to do this, please?
Read Sean W’s thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-camp2-175877/

The following 2 users liked this post by kj07xk:
Cee Jay (08-29-2018), TexasTraveler (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 10:44 AM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

Dont bother with the silly OBD dongle you will get sick of it and not use it most of the time. Buy something similar to a scangauge if you want extra gauges, install it permanently and forget it. Yes, it costs more than $6 but you just get in your car and drive, no screwing around with phone holders, establishing connections, wires all over the place and dead cell phone batteries. Cheapest is not the best when it comes to anything. I hate to think how most of the owners cars on this forum are cobbled together as cheaply as possible with crap from Ebay and knock off parts from Amazon and then they bitch about it when they break down or don't work properly.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:56 AM
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mufc
Dont bother with the silly OBD dongle you will get sick of it and not use it most of the time. Buy something similar to a scangauge if you want extra gauges, install it permanently and forget it. Yes, it costs more than $6 but you just get in your car and drive, no screwing around with phone holders, establishing connections, wires all over the place and dead cell phone batteries. Cheapest is not the best when it comes to anything. I hate to think how most of the owners cars on this forum are cobbled together as cheaply as possible with crap from Ebay and knock off parts from Amazon and then they bitch about it when they break down or don't work properly.
I don't believe OBD2 Bluetooth scanners are silly. A lot of the members on this forum have useful tips, this being one of them. As well as the many good reviews these products get. I'm not going to modify or permanently mount an extra gauge on the A-pillar so it looks like some drag race car. You don't need a phone holder, mine fits right in my ashtray, which is never used. And just like my smartphone automatically establishes a Bluetooth connection without any hassle, so will this. No wires, and I never have a dead cell phone battery anyway.

The following 2 users liked this post by mykkat:
Cee Jay (08-29-2018), MarkyUK (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mufc
So evidently the answer to getting gauges in your XKR is it SELL it and buy an Aston Martin DB11. They have gauges!

Seriously though, I thought about getting a scangauge thing and putting it somewhere, but to me it looks ghetto. I also didn't want another phone or tablet laying around or stuck somewhere.... that, to me, is also ghetto.

There is a perfectly fine screen right there in the dash, so I used that. I did use Sean's thread to put together what I have, which is Torque Pro with all the seven customizable screens and displays. I only have one screen shown in the picture above, because why more pictures? There are literally THOUSANDS of ways to display what you want to display in the Torque App. PLUS, you can use ANY App you want. I also have the full DASH COMMAND, but I like the Torque layout a bit more. Plus, everything ANDROID is usable to whatever degree you wish. YouTube, eBay, Jaguar Forums.........

Anyway, it did take about an hour to hook up the hardware, and probably another hour to arrange it all in the boot so it looks good, and it did cost about $265 or so for all the parts.

The takeaway; I now have pretty much ANY gauges possible (that the ECU has data for) telemetry, graphs, oh hell... there are hundreds of different things in Torque.

It is now a part of the design of the car. Nothing cobbled together or stuck somewhere.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 08-29-2018 at 02:08 PM. Reason: added
The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
kj07xk (08-29-2018), TexasTraveler (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Looks good to me!

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Can you get the audible alarms that Torque can give? That would make it a no brainer for monitoring over temp and the like.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pwpacp
Can you get the audible alarms that Torque can give? That would make it a no brainer for monitoring over temp and the like.
I don't have mine set up for sound (yet), but anything that the Android TV-Box can output can be used. Sean uses a TUNE2AIR unit on his setup, and I'll probably do the same or similar eventually.
However, using that mode you'd need the car stereo system on "ipod" input the whole time.....
Hmmm..................
Maybe I'll get some small amp or something independent of the in-car sound system. Anything that accepts line-in audio will work, with any necessary adapters. The TV Boxes use HDMI-output, but the necessary A/V converter outputs through RCA.
Of course, using the Tune2Air thing, you can use any audio output FROM the Android box, and everything FROM it can be used through the stereo...... you can watch downloaded videos, or if you use it in conjunction with your HotSpot phone, your car can do anything a mobile tablet can do. Including the Audible Alerts from Torque.
Sean is the guy who gave me info, maybe he can elaborate better than I.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:32 AM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

mykkat
"I'm not going to modify or permanently mount an extra gauge on the A-pillar so it looks like some drag race car"
Not sure how you could possibly mount a scangauge on the A-pillar. You might want to research a little more before commenting or at least not make assumptions. Either way, if you are happy with what you got then great, it is your car.