XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replace Senta wheels with.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 09:35 AM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Replace Senta wheels with.....

I have a 2007 Jaguar XKR, which has factory fitted Senta wheels. I am considering changing them for some Gyrodyne wheels that are used on the new F-Type, but have a number of questions regarding wheel fitment.

As far as I can find, the Senta's on my car have the following measurements:
Fronts: 20" 8.5J, Offset: ET 49, stud diameter 5 x 108, centrebore: 634mm
Tyres: 255/35 R20

Rears: 20" 9.5J, Offset: ET 26, stud diameter 4 x 108, centrebore: 634mm
Tyres: 285/30 R20

I say as far as I can tell, because jaguar don't seem to make it very easy to find details of their wheels, so the above has been determined by Googling and I'm not sure of the accuracy.

The F-Type 20" Gyrodyne wheel (in shadow grey) have the following measurements (quoted by the seller):
Fronts: 20" 9J, Offset: ET 55, stud diameter 5 x 108, centrebore: 634mm

Rears: 20" 10J, Offset: ET 38, stud diameter 5 x 108, centrebore: 634mm

So from what I understand, both front and rear wheels are slightly wider (0.5 inch?), however, the offsets are larger, which I believe means the wheels will fit closer to the suspension strut and calipers.

Has anyone tried fitting these wheels to the early, new style XKR?
Is the offset likely to cause problems with the wheel being too close to the brake calipers/suspension?
Is the extra width likely to cause the wheels to stick out beyond the wheel arch and therefore fail the MOT?
Anyone know what size tyres would fit these Gyrodyne wheels?

It's feeling like a long shot, but I've been offered a set at a good price and I love the diamond cut edge and smoked grey look of the Gyrodyne wheels, which I think will go great on my grey XKR.

Thanks for your help in this matter.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I think Sentas are best looking wheels that have ever been put on a Jaguar (that includes my very attractive Kalimnos). Gyrodynes are nice, but honestly, I prefer the Sentas. Why not have them painted or powder coated to make a change, if so desired.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:51 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Have a look here for a start Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

Just to give you a numbers comparison, the 2008 XKR-S had wheels in similar sizes;

The silver Vortex wheel

Front
20x9, ET49

Rear
20x10.5, ET32

The higher the ET number, the further the wheel goes inward toward the suspenson.

The lower the ET number, the further it pokes out toward the wheel arch.

So the gyrodynes will poke inward about 5mm more than the factory fitment Vortex wheel would. Usually this is the opposite of what people want to have.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
I think Sentas are best looking wheels that have ever been put on a Jaguar (that includes my very attractive Kalimnos). Gyrodynes are nice, but honestly, I prefer the Sentas. Why not have them painted or powder coated to make a change, if so desired.
+1 sentas

Old 03-04-2017, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi there, not the question you asked but here goes anyway
+1 on the Sentas from me. I had the Callistos on my XJ and faced a similar dilemma you are and went with the Senta's, see here......

Name:  front%20wheel_zps9w3u3pwj.jpg
Views: 1656
Size:  154.6 KB

I have a thread about it here somewhere, but if memory serves.......

My Callistos were 20" offset of 49 with a 9J all round ( assuming the bore and bolt pcd are correct )

The Senta's were from an XK but I asked for 4 x fronts, so 8.5J and offset 49
Now I already thought that the wheels sat jussst a little too far in and wanted them slightly further outwards anyway. That coupled with the lost of 1/2" on the fitment side meant I could fit hubcentric wheel spacers to reverse this and in fatc place them out farther, where I wanted them.......worked out really well for me

As Graham says, use the tyre / wheel calculator for a visual and play around with numbers to see where you get. If you just go foe the straight replacement bear in mind the slight alteration tot he cars track width / handling characteristics too

Best
Jim

Old 03-04-2017, 08:34 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm a Sabre fan,,,

The following users liked this post:
Big Otter (03-08-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

+1 Sentas.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,157 Likes on 3,090 Posts

I'm NOT a fan of ANY wheels with the fake bolt heads. It is just more nooks and crannies to try to keep clean. Plus, why the fake bolt heads? Everyone in the world knows they aren't real. The spoke and hub designs are nice on all these, but in my opinion, the extra knobs are a HUGE distraction.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't know if it helps but I replaced the Sentas on mine (2 were buckled - my jaguar guy says he encounters this a lot - "like butter" were his words) with Storms off the F-Type and to my knowledge they fit without any messing about with spacers, etc.

Old 03-05-2017, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Cee Jay,
I think you mean non-functional bolts rather than fake. The first time I painted my Kalimnos, I removed them. Then I got lazy.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (03-05-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 07:53 AM

Thanks for all the responses.

Yes, the Senta's are good looking wheels, but my XKR is 10 years old now and I just feel like I want to spruce it up a bit, but haven't yet decided to change the wheels or refurbish them.

I love the look of diamond cut wheels - silver exterior, with darker interior.

While the Senta's aren't diamond cut I have been told it would be possible to mimic this look by painting the outside of the spokes in a bright silver and the insides slightly darker. It's difficult to visualize what this would look like and I'm not sure I want to risk such a substantial change to the look of the Senta wheel.

Mick Boy, what year is your XK? Is it the original 4.2 litre engine or the newer 5.0 litre version? I believe the offset's for the newer version are different to the original, which is what I have.

JimC64, those Senta's do look good. I like the fact they have a red centre badge and red calipers. Both of mine are black. Have you had the wheels refurbished or are they just in very good condition? They seem a lot more of a shiny silver than mine, but maybe that's due to the age and condition mine are in.

I have used the calculater, so I'm aware what effect the Gyrodyne wheels will have in terms of fitment, I'm not sure if they will cause issues due to being closer to the calipers.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by milleniumaire
Mick Boy, what year is your XK? Is it the original 4.2 litre engine or the newer 5.0 litre version? I believe the offset's for the newer version are different to the original, which is what I have.
Ah, yes - Mine is the 4.2 so you may be right. Incidentally I was offered some Gyrodynes at the same time and photoshopped them onto my car to see what they might look like (before plumping for the Storms after much serious soul searching). Here's what they (would have) looked like:

Old 03-06-2017, 01:47 PM

Thanks mickyboy, you have the same XKR as me, except yours is a convertible. Mine is a 2007 coupe. A few years ago I photoshot my car with some Cremona wheels on, but decided not to go ahead. Your photo has given me the impetus to go ahead and do it again.
I kind of wish you had got the Gyrodynes because you could have told me if they fit!

Old 03-06-2017, 01:57 PM

The photo at the top is of my car when purchased new in April 2007, but I've overlaid the Gyrodyne wheels on it to get a feel for what they look like and this is shown in the photo at the bottom.

I think the main issue is still whether they will fit due to the difference in offsets and wheel widths.

Senta

Gyrodyne

Unfortunately, both the car paintwork and existing Senta wheels have seen better days and so aren't quite as pristine as in the pictures above.

I do like the extra shine that the Gyrodyne wheels give and they look more aggressive.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Thanks for all the responses.

Yes, the Senta's are good looking wheels, but my XKR is 10 years old now and I just feel like I want to spruce it up a bit, but haven't yet decided to change the wheels or refurbish them.

I love the look of diamond cut wheels - silver exterior, with darker interior.

While the Senta's aren't diamond cut I have been told it would be possible to mimic this look by painting the outside of the spokes in a bright silver and the insides slightly darker. It's difficult to visualize what this would look like and I'm not sure I want to risk such a substantial change to the look of the Senta wheel.

JimC64, those Senta's do look good. I like the fact they have a red centre badge and red calipers. Both of mine are black. Have you had the wheels refurbished or are they just in very good condition? They seem a lot more of a shiny silver than mine, but maybe that's due to the age and condition mine are in.

I have used the calculater, so I'm aware what effect the Gyrodyne wheels will have in terms of fitment, I'm not sure if they will cause issues due to being closer to the calipers.
I'm currently in the stage of a spruce up

Just ordered a brand new wheel and now looking to update the interior trim perhaps piano black or the spun aluminum

On review it appears the piano black looks more modern whilst the spun aluminum offers that classy timeless look however just going off photos I could be wrong

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 03-06-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member

The pictures make it crystal clear (at least to me) that the Sentas are the best wheel for the XK/XKR series. For about $5-600.00 you could have them refinished to new. I think the other thing that makes a difference is that in the photo with the Sentas the calipers are silver, the caps are missing, and it creates a monotone type of look while the Gyrodyne photo (as well as the earlier posted Senta photo with the red calipers and red caps) has the red constrast calipers and caps, and that's what sets off the wheels. Refinish the Sentas and paint the calipers or get contrast caliper covers. I painted my similar looking Kalimnos gloss black (because I got tired of cleaning my wheels everyday), and with the red caps and calipers created a completely different look.

Attached Thumbnails Replace Senta wheels with.....-dscf8216-1280x960-.jpg   Replace Senta wheels with.....-dscf8205-1280x960-.jpg   Replace Senta wheels with.....-dscf8204-1280x960-.jpg  
Old 03-07-2017, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

The pictures make it crystal clear (at least to me) that the Sentas are the best wheel for the XK/XKR series. For about $5-600.00 you could have them refinished to new.
+1
That's exactly what I did. Bought a set on ebay, they looked pretty good, but I got them refinished for $600, and now I have 'new' Sentas on my XK.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:12 AM

tberg, I agree, the red wheel centres and red calipers do improve the look of the sentas and have decided to do this even if I stay with the Senta wheels and have them refurbished.
If it wasn't for the fact that I desperately need a new set of tyres I would probably do this first and see how the car looked before deciding what to do with my wheels. Unfortunately, I have an MOT due and need to either fit the Sentas with some new tyres or get the replacement wheels and fit those with new tyres.

Mickyboy, I have found some offset values for the Storm wheels and they are the same as the Gyrodynes. This would suggest that if the Storm fit on your 2007 XKR, the Gyrodynes would also fit a 2007 XKR! Do you know what type of brake calipers are on your car? I believe mine are Alcon. Not sure if this makes a difference to the size of the calipers.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:32 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I believe mine are Alcon. Not sure if this makes a difference to the size of the calipers.
You do not have Alcon's, the picture you posted with the Senta wheels, not Alcon brakes.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:42 AM

Yep, I have the same as you and I'm pretty sure they're not Alcons. Here is the post that makes me think that:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...0/#post1019206