XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacement Front brake Pads/Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 04:59 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Replacement Front brake Pads/Rotors

I need new front brake pads/rotors. I took my car to local repair facility and they ordered OEM parts from the local Jaguar dealer. Two weeks later they still don't have the parts, the Jag dealer says parts are scarce. So I've done some on-line snooping and I find I can get NAPA pads/rotors for about $527.

Has anyone here used them - any comments.

Tom

Old 07-18-2011, 05:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have just replaced all four rotors with the premium Napa rotors. They are a vented rotor(in this case they have a swirling grove on the rotor face. They are made of a rust proof alloy and they look awesome. I had to go to Bumper to Bumper for the pads. For all I know the pads could very well be what I would buy at the Jag dealer. While you are at it you could paint the calipers. I would send you a photo but am having some issues with inserting it into this reply.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the feedback, if my Jaguar dealer can't get the parts in the next day or two I'll order the NAPA rotors/pads.

Thanks

Tom

Old 07-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by pbcs004
I have just replaced all four rotors with the premium Napa rotors. They are a vented rotor(in this case they have a swirling grove on the rotor face. They are made of a rust proof alloy and they look awesome. I had to go to Bumper to Bumper for the pads. For all I know the pads could very well be what I would buy at the Jag dealer. While you are at it you could paint the calipers. I would send you a photo but am having some issues with inserting it into this reply.
Could you post the Napa part numbers? Thanks

Old 07-18-2011, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,142 Likes on 3,384 Posts
Default Be kind to your rotors!

My 2009 XKR Portfolio just turned 30K miles, and the dealer recommended replacing the front pads since they were getting low. Rears were still OK. Because my car has the optional Alcon brakes with 6-piston front calipers and 400mm (15.75") rotors, I decided to have work done by the dealer to avoid potential problems. The technician inspected the crescent-drilled rotors, said they still looked good and advised against turning them. I was a little leery about them possibly pulling, but they didn't. One note - I really babied the brakes for the first 100 or so miles to get the new pads to properly seat into the "old" rotors. Not having to replace the rotors saved $978 ($489 per rotor @ msrp)! Ouch!

Lesson learned: replace your brake pads before they score your rotors and save $$. If you don't have to turn the rotors, they'll resist warping (since they're thicker) and last longer before you have to replace the pads again.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't understand why your dealership says parts are scarce. I certainly haven't found that to be true. I had rear rotors/pads and front pads replaced in one day recently. HOWEVER, I got price quote from private shop and dealer matched them, plus 15% of for being local Jag Club member. No complaints here...

Old 07-19-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by WldCat
I don't understand why your dealership says parts are scarce. I certainly haven't found that to be true. I had rear rotors/pads and front pads replaced in one day recently. HOWEVER, I got price quote from private shop and dealer matched them, plus 15% of for being local Jag Club member. No complaints here...
I bought the car knowing Jaguar dealers are few and far between, and after Moore Jaguar in St Louis filed Chap 11 the nearest Jag dealer is in Peoria about 300 miles away.

That's their story.

Tom

Old 06-29-2017, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement fron brake Pads/Rotors

I have a 2007 XKR that I have removed the caliber down to the rotor. Typically you can just pull the rotor at this point and it comes off. I can not remove this rotor. Is there a secret to removing the rotor?

Old 06-29-2017, 08:15 PM
Received 276 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by rrfosterr
I have a 2007 XKR that I have removed the caliber down to the rotor. Typically you can just pull the rotor at this point and it comes off. I can not remove this rotor. Is there a secret to removing the rotor?
There may be retaining clips that hold the rotor to the wheel stud. I've encountered these on many vehicles in the past and just rip them off with a set of dykes. All they do is hold the rotor in place when the wheel and caliper are off.

Regarding NAPA rotors... I've always considered any parts store brand to be what you use when you're about to sell the car. Either go OEM, or go name brand. For instance... EBC makes rotors that meet OEM specs and will be ofuch higher quality a metal than NAPA for less than half the cost of OEM...

https://thmotorsports.com/ebc-brakes/ebc-brake-rotors-premium-oe-style/rk1788/i-1996659.aspx