Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

reverting to factory ECM settings

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 09:40 PM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default reverting to factory ECM settings

R there any remaps of the ecm for 2013-2014 xkr that dont revert back to the original factory tune. which vendor sells a ecm tune, that increases the h.p. to 550 on an xkr

I have tried 2 tunes that revert back to factory even though the car wasnt remapped by a dealer, The new tune was recognized by the ecm and the ecm then cleared the new tune.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:22 PM
Banned

the above referenced car had an OBDLink MX connected to an s4 that was running in real time. The s4 was hard wired into a laptop that had a verizon jetpack MiWi in operation. The s4 and the laptop recorded the enhanced tune in real time

the car was driven 600 miles without turning off the ignition, including at fuel stop. after the car was started in 4 cycles the ecm reverted to the original factory tune.

The data was downloaded to the manufacturers of both tunes respectively that showed the regression to factory in real time including boost ,rpm and over 300 other parameters.

Both tune manufacturers refunded my money after I sent them all the data showing the tune in operation and then being negated by the ecm. the refund was predicated on not revealing their company names

I noticed that no one has responded. is their a chat room or site that has drivers/ mechanics that work on their vehicles and understand subtle nuances of owning a car?

The following users liked this post:
DGL (03-18-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

I think it's been done, not sure who did it - if you don't get a direct answer, try doing a search for 'tune'. From memory, the main member working on it was Maxxima.

I believe the issue with the later-model ECM is that it goes back to a 'default' map if it detects that the engine is getting too close to some operational limits. The idea is probably to protect the car from damage from a corrupted map. However, a tuned map pushes the engine closer to those limits, and the ECM eventually interprets that as a bad map and dumps it. Not sure how the tuners got around that - maybe they found a way to replace the default map.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:18 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I find it pretty seedy that you had to guarantee anonymity to get a refund. There have been a number of tuners discussed on this board, and there are doubtless some people (me for instance) interested in getting a reliable tune. It's just not in the spirit of a public forum to not relay this information and let the "chips" fall where they may.

The following 2 users liked this post by AVMiii:
DGL (03-18-2015), ralphwg (03-21-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 08:35 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=AVMiii;1184669]I find it pretty seedy that you had to guarantee anonymity to get a refund.

I read every thread on this site regarding tunes. Especially the problems Maxima encountered. Both of the companies that refunded my money were discussed ad nauseum by multiple individuals.

Both of those companies were vouched for by people on this forum.

No one and I mean no one, downloaded the parameters that I did into a computer to determine if there would be a problem. Those findings were then compared to downloaded data from a stock tune on the OBDLink MX and verified with both companies

Companies are out to make money. Customers are responsible for due diligence to ensure they get what they pay for.

Conjecture or opinions on products is worthless.

Scientific data, conversely, doesnt lie

The following users liked this post:
DGL (03-18-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Idontweardepends
Companies are out to make money. Customers are responsible for due diligence to ensure they get what they pay for.

Conjecture or opinions on products is worthless.

Scientific data, conversely, doesnt lie
So according to you, it's "caveat emptor".

Yet when someone asks in the spirit of due diligence the only answer is "caveat emptor"

It is true that you might be bound by the terms of your agreement,
but it is also true that other members might be moved to help you
as much as you have helped them.

Now, scientific data doesn't lie, but then again unpublished scientific data
has no use.

++

The following 4 users liked this post by plums:
AVMiii (03-18-2015), DGL (03-17-2015), ralphwg (03-21-2015), sklimii (04-06-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 05:44 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

You only have 3 posts on this forum. Are you trolling this forum or want to contribute to it? Most members on this forum are creditable and are more than willing to add value to it by posting there detailed experiences. Although I appreciate your post, without the details it is of diminished value.

I have always pondered getting my car tuned but have yet to find a reliable trustworthy tuner that I was completely happy with. Most of the tuners are happy to take your money and mess with your valuable car but fail to demonstrate competence and credibility. A creditable business would take the information they learnt from your experience to build a better product; however, the business that provided your tune knowingly will sell the failed product to others and worse yet the same tuner wouldn't think twice about destroying someone's engine.

The following 2 users liked this post by DGL:
AVMiii (03-18-2015), ralphwg (03-21-2015)