XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Rotating grinding noise only on right turns

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 03:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rotating grinding noise only on right turns

Hello everyone,
I'm newly registered to the forum, having always enjoyed maintaining my own cars. Browsing this community has proved invaluable when it comes to troubleshooting issues on the XK. So firstly, thank you for all your contributions!

I've noticed that my late 2007 XK X150 4.2 has been making a metal rotating grinding noise that only occurs when turning right round bends or roundabouts and varies in intensity depending on the speed and degree of the right turn (I have attached an audio file of the noise when going round a roundabout). The noise doesn't occur when turning right very slowly, such as when parking. It's more audible in person than in the audio recording, though you wouldn't hear it over the radio so I don't know how long it has been going on for.

I believe the noise to be coming from the front left side of the vehicle, yet I'm unable to pinpoint the issue. I've checked the wheel to see if there was any play in the bearing, taken the wheel off and inspected the rear brake shield to make sure there was no contact with the disc. As well as removing the calliper to check the brake pad condition (less than 30% worn).

Has anyone else had this noise on their XK and fixed it or knows what it could be?

Thank you very much for the help

XK Right Turn Noise.mp3

Old 06-13-2022, 05:32 AM
GGG
Received 16,836 Likes on 12,182 Posts

Welcome to the forums XK4.2,

(Your post was automatically locked for moderation because of the attached audio file. I've unlocked it so members can now see it.)

I can't hear it too clearly because of the turn signal sound but you've already eliminated the first things I'd check. Moving on from bearing or brake as possible caues, check the metal heatshields haven't torn through the fixing bolts or the plastic undertray worked loose.

Graham

Old 06-13-2022, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forums XK4.2,

(Your post was automatically locked for moderation because of the attached audio file. I've unlocked it so members can now see it.)

I can't hear it too clearly because of the turn signal sound but you've already eliminated the first things I'd check. Moving on from bearing or brake as possible caues, check the metal heatshields haven't torn through the fixing bolts or the plastic undertray worked loose.

Graham
Thank you for your reply. I took off the turn signal as I began turning right, so after the turn signal goes off is when the noise begins. Unfortunately, the sound is much less clear on the recording than in person. I'll have another look under the car and see if any heatshields are loose.

Old 06-13-2022, 08:40 AM
Received 185 Likes on 92 Posts

To the OP : sorry about your problem...I'm interested in this topic as well, as, in my case, I hear something when steering and braking at the same time, for instance when making a turn at a crossroads... I wouldn't call it a grinding noise, but it sounds like something is moving down there that shouldn't be...

The following users liked this post:
XK4.2 (06-13-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 08:54 AM
Default Update

I have further checked underneath the XK and there are no loose heat shields, trays etc. I also took the caliper and disc off a second time and again there are no issues with the pads, disc (no lip and less than 3 years old). Only thing I did notice is that the disc is missing its two retaining circlips, but this should not be any issue as once the wheel is on the lug nuts hold it firmly to the hub.

I have attached a new recording of the noise going right round roundabouts on three separate occasions. Does anyone know what this noise could be? I'm 90% sure the sound is coming from the front left wheel, which has no play in the hub bearing when jacked up.

Attached Files
File Type: mp3
XK Right Turn Final.mp3 (2.00 MB, 29 views)
Old 06-18-2022, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,209 Likes on 2,362 Posts

I tried listening and there is too much superfluous noise to single out what I'm supposed to be listening for. Maybe just me as I'm mostly deaf but if you could isolate the sound by telling us at what minute/second the issue occurs may help. Also find a smoother road, eliminate the turn signal so all we hear is car would be helpful.

Old 06-18-2022, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
I tried listening and there is too much superfluous noise to single out what I'm supposed to be listening for. Maybe just me as I'm mostly deaf but if you could isolate the sound by telling us at what minute/second the issue occurs may help. Also find a smoother road, eliminate the turn signal so all we hear is car would be helpful.
Thank you very much for your reply Sean W. I take the turn signal off just as I’m heading into the turn each time so it doesn’t interfere with the recording the noise.

The exact times the noise occurs are at 12 seconds, 32 seconds and 52 seconds. As you can hear it’s slightly different every time as the noise changes depending on the speed of the right turn and resulting load on the left side of the car.

Sean W (06-18-2022)

Trending Topics

Old 06-18-2022, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,303 Likes on 3,147 Posts

If it's what I think I heard, it sounded more like a rattle to me. Maybe that was something else.
You state you did a preliminary check of the wheel bearings, but that's where I would start my checks on my car.

XK4.2 (06-26-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 04:01 AM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you looked at the upper and lower arm bushes, same thing happened to me when I had my 4.2 XKR and it was down to a bush split, need to take the wheel off and have a really good look to see if there are any micro cracks.

XK4.2 (06-26-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 04:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,488 Likes on 908 Posts

It does sound like a rattle or knock and is quite rapid which would suggest to me something to do with the suspension or anti-roll bar bushes.

It would also be worth checking that there is no movement in the bonnet and that the bump stops are properly adjust so it can't flex and knock.

XK4.2 (06-26-2022)