XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Shipping 2007 Jaguar XK

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping 2007 Jaguar XK

I recently purchased my first Jaguar. I am looking for assistance regarding shipping of the car. Given the monocoque body construction are there any concerns, recommendations regarding shipping?
Thanks

Old 08-11-2016, 07:20 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

That's a frequent topic brought up often, do a search and you'll find tons of info/recommendations/warnings/etc

Old 08-11-2016, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Capejagxk
I recently purchased my first Jaguar. I am looking for assistance regarding shipping of the car. Given the monocoque body construction are there any concerns, recommendations regarding shipping?
Thanks
It all depends on where you are and how far you are shipping the car. My opinion is use either Reliable transports or Intercity Transports. Ship it in an enclosed truck and they will treat you like a king. They specialize in exotic cars and there are no special issues with the Jag.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
It all depends on where you are and how far you are shipping the car. My opinion is use either Reliable transports or Intercity Transports. Ship it in an enclosed truck and they will treat you like a king. They specialize in exotic cars and there are no special issues with the Jag.
I am in the NE and the distance is 250 miles. They mention a wedge trailer. Looks like they place straps around the wheels. So no issues with the monocoque body?
Thks

Old 08-11-2016, 08:52 PM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi - welcome from another recent newbie to the Jaguar experience and someone who has also just bought a 2007 XK (and is still chasing the bugs out).

Any reason you are having it shipped such a short distance? It will eat up 250miles like sitting in your best armchair and watching the scenery go by.

I'm still amazed at what an easy ride the car is.

Straps around the wheels should be okay as long as it's done correctly, but I'd be really tempted to drive it!

Old 08-11-2016, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Capejagxk
I am in the NE and the distance is 250 miles. They mention a wedge trailer. Looks like they place straps around the wheels. So no issues with the monocoque body?
Thks
It's up to you but I wouldn't go with an open trailer. I see some of these rigs on the interstates traveling at 70-80 mph with all of these cars uncovered. Closed rig for me . Here is how we had a Audi shipped from Fl. to NY.

Attached Thumbnails Shipping 2007 Jaguar XK-dsc00145.jpg   Shipping 2007 Jaguar XK-dsc00148.jpg  
Old 08-11-2016, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts
Default shipping

This is how mine made the trip from Chicago to Annapolis, MD. Nothing fancy, not one road rash blemish. Guess, I was lucky. Shipping free by seller.

Attached Thumbnails Shipping 2007 Jaguar XK-2014-06-05135045.jpg  
Old 08-12-2016, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
It's up to you but I wouldn't go with an open trailer. I see some of these rigs on the interstates traveling at 70-80 mph with all of these cars uncovered. Closed rig for me . Here is how we had a Audi shipped from Fl. to NY.
Oh as you can see the cars are all covered and inspected before they are loaded and after . I figured if people like Jay Leno and chasing classic cars used these guys then I'm OK with it.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

I have had numerous cars transported from out of state to my residence in New Mexico. I have always used professional transport and OPEN TRAILERS.

Never a problem at all, cars delivered in excellent shape and many of these cars were new.

In regards to transporting 250 miles, I would simply drive it home, and get the feel of a nice short road trip and the feel of the Jaguar.

If going to transport, "open" carrier should cost about $200 at the max. You should also be able to find a small independent carrier to make the transport at a nominal cost.

Uship.com would be a choice.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

If you are scared to drive your car on a road because of possible damage then I would see needing the closed trailer.

I would ship 250 miles via open trailer, the risk of road damage is less than if you drove it, after all the truck body would get hit by debris first.

The following 2 users liked this post by tampamark:
mosesbotbol (08-12-2016), richzak (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I've done both open and closed with Jag's. I would go with open and spend the difference on paintless dent removal. Make sure you using one of the big shippers mentioned or know the actual driver moving your car.

Do not go through an auto shipping broker, no matter what!

Old 08-12-2016, 09:07 PM

Unless you have a specific mechanical concern, I too advocate driving it the 250 miles. I have a 2007 XK roadster and I've put 5500 miles on it since April. It's a great way to get to know your car. If you're worried about reliability of a car which is new to you, just get a AAA "Gold" policy -- last I knew, they'd tow 100 miles and you can always contract with the tow company beyond that, if needed. And they'll haul it on a flat bed if you want ... so, go drive it!

Old 08-12-2016, 09:26 PM
Banned

bought my '07 last December drove it home from Detroit to San Diego. I despise the idea of letting a valet touch my car (that has not happen nor will it) I would not let a shipping company handle it but that's purely personal preference. As for enclosed versus open air, the damage would happen during loading not traveling...

Old 08-13-2016, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member

The driving question raises another point. How many states have transport plates so you can drive cars from one state to home. Then there is the insurance question where some companies want title info or copies. Now if you have a buddy in the car or body shop business who has dealer plates it's easy to do but if you need to go through the DMV it opens up a lot of PITA to get the plates.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Driving the vehicle without plates should present no problem as long as you have a Bill of Sale in hand if this was a "private party" sale.

If the sale was from a dealer, the dealer can provide a "paper" plate for the drive home.

Some states may require a transport plate, but most are unlikely.

However, once the vehicle gets to it's home residence, the owner should register the vehicle in his/her respective state Dept of Motor Vehicles within a reasonable time fashion.

Otherwise. drive the car with confidence. And ENJOY.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:25 AM
Banned

What he said...

I've bought "out of state" cars twice and drove them home, one from Arkansas and the other from Michigan... I still have both. Both times I went to the local "Revenue office" (called the DMV here in CA) in each state and filled out the proper ownership transfer paperwork with the previous owner present just as if you lived in the state buying the car however you tell them you are from out of state and need temporary plates to drive it home, they are good for 30 or 90 days if I remember right plenty of time to drive it home. If I recall correctly the temp plates ran @$12-15

As far as insurance goes I called my provider, AAA, told them what I was doing, got the quote in writing ahead of time so there was no surprises, and was told there was no worries as any car I bought would be covered for 10 days or so until I got it home, had it checked out by them in-person, smog checked and properly licensed/registered by my local DMV. The car had full coverage and I had no yet paid a penny just to be clar here I just carried my insurance card from my other car with me as proof to show the revenue offices they understood. I called each state to verify what their particular needs would be, most of that is easily found via the internet but I also called to verify I had my ducks in a row

Last edited by Leeper; 08-13-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:48 AM

To Leeper's prior comment, I'll add this: I negotiated with the broker/seller in Florida to transport my car to MN, as it was winter time. After it was offloaded from the (open) car trailer, I noticed the very nice semi driver got his greasy hands all over my door panel, shifter, and steering wheel. Fortunately, it cleaned up easily.

They may be precious cars to us, but they are just rolling inventory to a long-haul truckers.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Driving the vehicle without plates should present no problem as long as you have a Bill of Sale in hand if this was a "private party" sale.

If the sale was from a dealer, the dealer can provide a "paper" plate for the drive home.

Some states may require a transport plate, but most are unlikely.

However, once the vehicle gets to it's home residence, the owner should register the vehicle in his/her respective state Dept of Motor Vehicles within a reasonable time fashion.

Otherwise. drive the car with confidence. And ENJOY.
In NY driving without a plate gets the car impounded regardless if you have a bill of sale which also needs to be the title for newer cars. Also you need your insurance card . We can get transport plates but it is a PITA time consuming game. If bought from a dealer some will give you paper plates which would work out but you still need the insurance card. I'm not saying it can't be done but it's just a pain.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by farkle-edina
To Leeper's prior comment, I'll add this: I negotiated with the broker/seller in Florida to transport my car to MN, as it was winter time. After it was offloaded from the (open) car trailer, I noticed the very nice semi driver got his greasy hands all over my door panel, shifter, and steering wheel. Fortunately, it cleaned up easily.

They may be precious cars to us, but they are just rolling inventory to a long-haul truckers.
Funny that you mentioned the grease . The team driving my car from Fl. to NY was a husband and wife team driving a pretty new Volvo rig. As I mentioned they inspected and then covered the car in the van. They drove up to my driveway and put on gloves before they uncovered and unloaded the car. When I looked into the van they said they just picked up a Ferrari TR and a Rolls which were going to Cape Cod. Nice couple . We all will have our own opinion on items like this so no one is right and everyone is right. Do what you think is best for you but do your homework before.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:02 AM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm a member of the "drive it home" clan, unless the car has a known mechanical issue. I bought my car from a guy in the suburbs of Chicago and drove it home, ax. 950 miles. an easy trip except for all the hiway construction zones.

Some states may not offer temporary tags, but there is an easier solution. First, a Bill of Sale signed by both parties. Second, I added the car to my insurance policy and got the agent to issue a coverage letter. However, as mentioned above, most policies provide temporary coverage for a "replacement" vehicle. Check with your agent.

Finally, the owner "lent" me his/my car to drive home. He gave me his registration and I drove on his plates; both of which I promptly returned when I got home. I would not drive without plates as it is just an invitation to meet the local police.

Quick Reply: Shipping 2007 Jaguar XK